1984 - best book ever

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 02:44 PM
RE: 1984 - best book ever
(14-05-2016 10:40 AM)Leela Wrote:  If anybody wants to listen to the audiobook as well. Here is the youtube link:
https://youtu.be/auwRj4Yru-E

You might also like to check out the 1973 movie "Soylent Green".

The film combines the police procedural and science fiction genres, depicting the investigation into the murder of a wealthy businessman in a dystopian future suffering from pollution, overpopulation, depleted resources, poverty, dying oceans, and year-round humidity due to the greenhouse effect. Much of the population survives on processed food rations, including "soylent green"—Wikipedia.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2016, 03:30 PM
(17-05-2016 12:48 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  That book is extremely fucking boring. It's so preachy, the entire thing is just an allegorical critique of government. I got through like 25% of it and it just wore me out. Not exciting, it's just this guy describing how bad the world he lives in sucks, and how it's all the government's fault. It's like, yeah we get it, after you read this book you're supposed to be well equipped to understand the problems of the government. I really don't give one single fuck. I would rather read Story Of The Eye, with endless chapters about guys and girls pissing on each other.

I can see why you might find Brave New World boring, but 1984? I found it absolutely riveting. I don't think it's even close to being the "best book ever", but it sure isn't boring.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
17-05-2016, 03:41 PM
1984 is a rather amazing piece of literature, Animal Farm was also pretty brilliant and definitely worth the read if you want more like 1984.

Catch-22 is still my favorite "required" piece of reading though, if not overall. Nothing else quite like it. It's a pretty clever critique of war, and a must-read for cynics. I loved Heller's writing style, which was at times hard to read, but the man was a genius. Writing a sentence in a way that couldn't make sense was basically his way of saying that war doesn't make sense, but there's a lot more to it than just that.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
17-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Hm I am listening to Animal Farm on and off (whenever I have time) but honestly I don't like it as much. I get what Orwell did there but that book I find a bit annoying to be honest. I will try a third Orwell book and then decide if I like Orwell or just that book Big Grin

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
17-05-2016, 04:49 PM
(17-05-2016 04:46 PM)Leela Wrote:  Hm I am listening to Animal Farm on and off (whenever I have time) but honestly I don't like it as much. I get what Orwell did there but that book I find a bit annoying to be honest. I will try a third Orwell book and then decide if I like Orwell or just that book Big Grin

I loved 1984 but I didn't much care for Animal Farm, either. Smile I haven't read any other Orwell books, come to think of it. Consider

17-05-2016, 05:10 PM
(17-05-2016 02:44 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I also love this book. I read it for class in high school and then on my own during college. I think a reread is in order soon. I remember being completely lost by the middle part where Winston reads the book (at least my first time) so maybe it'll be clearer now that I'm a bit older and more well-read.

Did the school also have you read The seven pillars of wisdom?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
17-05-2016, 06:08 PM
I had to read both 1984 and Animal Farm in high school.

I can't think of any other books that were that disturbing and applicable for our world. Bleak, depressing, hopeless. And the scariest part is how very, very easily it could become reality.

I have talked to family members who cheerfully proclaimed that they would give up freedoms for safety. It boggles my mind.

We should make people read them before presidential elections.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-05-2016, 07:20 PM
(17-05-2016 05:10 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 02:44 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I also love this book. I read it for class in high school and then on my own during college. I think a reread is in order soon. I remember being completely lost by the middle part where Winston reads the book (at least my first time) so maybe it'll be clearer now that I'm a bit older and more well-read.

Did the school also have you read The seven pillars of wisdom?

Nope, I've never heard of it. A cursory Googling failed to enlighten me as to whether or not it's actually good literature.
Also, I feel like it's interesting to note that 1984 was summer reading for honors English, and we never actually went over any of it in class. As I went to a Christian high school, I'm wondering if this was an intentional choice on the part of the teaching staff.
17-05-2016, 07:40 PM
(17-05-2016 07:20 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Nope, I've never heard of it. A cursory Googling failed to enlighten me as to whether or not it's actually good literature.
Also, I feel like it's interesting to note that 1984 was summer reading for honors English, and we never actually went over any of it in class. As I went to a Christian high school, I'm wondering if this was an intentional choice on the part of the teaching staff.

T.E. Lawrence wrote it. He is otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia.

Fantastic book.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-05-2016, 07:54 PM
(17-05-2016 07:40 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 07:20 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Nope, I've never heard of it. A cursory Googling failed to enlighten me as to whether or not it's actually good literature.

T.E. Lawrence wrote it. He is otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia.

Fantastic book.

I'll have to check it out! As soon as I finish the book I'm on now (Desperate Remedies - I've never read Thomas Hardy before but it seems promising so far).
Thanks for the recommendation Smile