Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2012, 04:35 AM
I'm currently going through Orwell's "1984". I'm about half way through.

I'd like Users who have any comments or insights to post. Something you found interesting, or confusing, or worth mentioning about the story.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2012, 04:45 AM
RE: 1984
I pretty much grew up on Orwell. People seem to think he is no longer relevant, because we seem to be moving more towards a Huxley-ian, pleasure-driven dystopia, but I think 1984 is a book everyone should read.

Being a linguist, I remember finding the idea of Newspeak particularly interesting. As well as a moment (won't say too much, as I don't think you're there yet), where O'Brien was having a discussion of sorts and there was a line to the effect that he knew he was right, but lacked the words to explain why. Which tied very neatly with my belief that it is thought that influences language, rather than the other way around

(Having a deja vu, BuckyWink)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
19-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I guess, I'll try to find an audio book and start walking the dog myself again Big Grin

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-12-2012, 06:36 PM
I've never read it myself, but I hear that it was "not supposed to be an instruction manual".

So...do with that what you will. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
19-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Those two manuals really spoke to me:

[Image: Amusing-Ourselves-to-Death-01.gif]

I just love these two "manuals" for a dystopian world, and how if these two systems were combined, humanity would have no chance of recovery.
[+] 10 users Like PoolBoyG's post
19-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Buddhism- the middle path- seems about right here.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
20-12-2012, 12:34 AM
equilibrium ftw. (Yes it's lame, but who cares) and here comes another emoticon d(^_^o)

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 1 user Likes Xinoftruden's post
20-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Is it ever hinted at who are the power brokers of Oceania? Is it an amalgam of the main capital owners of society (say, like the "1%" in the US)? Or is it a cabal of ideological zealots? Or is it that there are no elite members of society, and everything is just running on "automatic"?
21-12-2012, 05:24 AM
(20-12-2012 11:37 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Is it ever hinted at who are the power brokers of Oceania? Is it an amalgam of the main capital owners of society (say, like the "1%" in the US)? Or is it a cabal of ideological zealots? Or is it that there are no elite members of society, and everything is just running on "automatic"?
Well, seeing as this was written by a European and at a time when the USSR was still going strong (in a certain sense of the word), it's not really about capital owners, as it is about the ruling party (and the cult of the personality). I don't think it matters who exactly (maybe you shouldn't click it if you haven't finished the book) is doing the oppression, as it is about an oppressive society, about the oppressed and not the oppressors. And, above all, about power. The origin of this power isn't that important, its effects are.

Well, that's kinda simplifying it a bit, but...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
22-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Here's a linky to the Peter Cushing 1984 on the youtubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8u9I_62FbM

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.