1st Time I Admitted It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2013, 02:35 PM
RE: 1st Time I Admitted It
I have never really "kept quiet" about it. When the subject comes up (and it often does) I am usually honest about it. Most of the people I know, know that I am an athiest. Most of them don't agree with me, but they realise very quickly, when the subject comes up, that they are not talking to a fool. They can't win the argument, so they duck and run. They feel soory for my poor soul, but can't win the argument. Do I also duck and run? O hell yea! If it's a boss or someone who can ruin me. Is my honesty about athiesm a problem? Yea! I am a single man and most women will not talk to me when they find out that I am an athiest. I guess the question of how much we hide is one that the individual must answer. . . God bless you! (lol!)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2013, 02:47 PM
(03-05-2013 10:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  "My religious beliefs are my own; I don't discuss them."

How's that?

Very politely, with a big warm smile, say "I really don't care to discuss that right now, but thanks".
It's none of their business, unless you have the desire and time to actually discuss it, at length.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
04-05-2013, 03:30 PM
In the south (US), people assume you're religious. So, I just wait until they say something incredibly vicious and ignorant about atheists to turn to them and meekly say, "oh, I'm sorry that you feel that way." If I'm super polite about it, the social contract kicks in and they have to apologize. I don't do this just to make people squirm, though I rather enjoy it. Rolleyes I do it so I can get hear their honest opinions and then ask for their respect.
04-05-2013, 03:45 PM
(04-05-2013 03:30 PM)cbb2274 Wrote:  In the south (US), people assume you're religious. So, I just wait until they say something incredibly vicious and ignorant about atheists to turn to them and meekly say, "oh, I'm sorry that you feel that way." If I'm super polite about it, the social contract kicks in and they have to apologize. I don't do this just to make people squirm, though I rather enjoy it. Rolleyes I do it so I can get hear their honest opinions and then ask for their respect.

Depending on where you are, they assume it in the north, too. Especially in small rural towns with churches on every block, like where I live. =0) I was in the cancer center waiting room (for blood tests, i don't have cancer) and a group of old men were loudly saying how stupid atheists are. Can you imagine how offended people would be if I said "Christianity is stupid" in a cancer center waiting room? I didn't say anything then, though, I figured if they have cancer I guess I'll just let them be assholes. But again, if I had been loudly making fun of Christianity there, I'd bet you the contents of my bank account that they would've told me I was a horrible asshole.

But as for the original post, if you don't feel comfortable, dodge the question. Keep quiet. Do whatever makes you comfortable.

I tend to not keep quiet but it all depends on your personality as well as your debate skills (such as not being fazed by logical fallacies). It can take a lot out of you, and can make you want to bang your head against a wall. It doesn't surprise me that some people would rather just avoid the topic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2013, 05:47 PM
I appreciate that...but I don't have a religion! Wink Ha ha ha! I can probably think of another version of that, though. Thanks.

(03-05-2013 10:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  "My religious beliefs are my own; I don't discuss them."

How's that?
05-05-2013, 05:49 PM
(05-05-2013 05:47 PM)CaliforniaSurf Wrote:  I appreciate that...but I don't have a religion! Wink Ha ha ha! I can probably think of another version of that, though. Thanks.

(03-05-2013 10:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  "My beliefs are my own; I don't discuss them."

How's that?

"I believe religion to be a private matter; I don't discuss it."

Sleepy

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
05-05-2013, 06:00 PM
If I had a lot of free time, good debating skills, and a good education, I wouldn't mind having a friendly debate with a believer who's open-minded enough to listen to me. But I've found that many believers are close-minded. I used to mock atheists when I was a Christian, so I know how the other side will react to me. Some people think a godless person is automatically immoral and I want to prove that it's just an assumption and not true. People, in general, are pretty good at being kind to each other w/o an all-powerful deity or messiah ordering them to do so.

Depending on where you are, they assume it in the north, too. Especially in small rural towns with churches on every block, like where I live. =0) I was in the cancer center waiting room (for blood tests, i don't have cancer) and a group of old men were loudly saying how stupid atheists are. Can you imagine how offended people would be if I said "Christianity is stupid" in a cancer center waiting room? I didn't say anything then, though, I figured if they have cancer I guess I'll just let them be assholes. But again, if I had been loudly making fun of Christianity there, I'd bet you the contents of my bank account that they would've told me I was a horrible asshole.

But as for the original post, if you don't feel comfortable, dodge the question. Keep quiet. Do whatever makes you comfortable.

I tend to not keep quiet but it all depends on your personality as well as your debate skills (such as not being fazed by logical fallacies). It can take a lot out of you, and can make you want to bang your head against a wall. It doesn't surprise me that some people would rather just avoid the topic.
[/quote]