1st class civis: Christians. 2nd:Everyone else.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2012, 11:19 PM
RE: 1st class civis: Christians. 2nd:Everyone else.
I honestly think if it's a public school the students should not be given a religious soapbox anyway. By giving the Christians a soapbox it's only fair to give every single possible religious denomination a soapbox. This is why i disagree with KC saying you should also get a soap box.

The only reasonable stance that should be taken in a publicly funded institution by taxpayers is that religion is given a non treatment. No one makes any kind of stance on it period. If you want to go into a classroom in private on lunch-break to pray or discuss theology go for it but you can't go making a public stance that involves students who do not directly wish to partake.

By giving these students a public soapbox and saying "they speak the truth" these officials should be risking their jobs and I think it's right to sue them.

Just expect no one to get any soap box at all to be a fair and honest stance. Religion and publicly funded institutions should be kept as separate as it is reasonable to get. That includes not taking any kind of "God is a lie or does not exist" stance.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Godless's post
31-01-2012, 08:56 AM
(30-01-2012 03:24 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  Lol, i dunno why but i always figured in my mind that either LA and NYC
were mortal enemies or the bestest of buddies, how bout that?

Also all of my knowledge about louisiana comes from true blood Tongue xD
so.. you guys have swamps in Baton Rouge?

There are small areas like this located in and around the city.
[Image: louisiana-swamp-l.jpg]

The coast is where it's really widespread.

The Atchafalaya Basin is pretty much all dense swamp land.
[Image: atcha_map.jpg]

I-10 going through the swamp between Baton Rouge and Lafayette.
[Image: aerial_of_interstate_10_atchafalaya_basi...150143.jpg]

Probably a quarter of the state (mostly south/southeast) looks like this or similar.
[Image: south-louisiana-swamp.jpg]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
31-01-2012, 12:49 PM
That is absolutley creepy,
Imagine growing up watching the scooby doo swamp monsters and seeing that
every day on the way to school. i would have night terrors XD

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
01-02-2012, 05:14 PM
(31-01-2012 12:49 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  That is absolutley creepy,
Imagine growing up watching the scooby doo swamp monsters and seeing that
every day on the way to school. i would have night terrors XD

Only place I know if in the world that is similar is the mangroves in Panama.

[Image: 3418073882_9a1a055af5_z.jpg]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
01-02-2012, 07:18 PM
The drive through the Atchafalaya Basin is awesome. I know people in New Orleans and Lafayette, so every time I'm in LA I make the drive. Pretty wild looking over the side and seeing the swamp. Nature at it's best if you ask me. (It's basically a super long bridge the whole way through. Cool and creepy all at the same time)

As far as the OP goes....here's my take:

I don't think the kids at the school should be prevented from talking about religion. I DO think that the school needs to stay out of it. School is the testing ground for the real world. Being able to cope with people of different beliefs is a part of life, and school is where kids get to practice that. The school getting involved is ok, as long as they are laying down rules that apply to BOTH sides of the debate. In this case they are not. Someones ass needs to get fired.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
01-02-2012, 09:28 PM
(30-01-2012 01:49 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(30-01-2012 01:42 PM)Bludred242 Wrote:  Public.

Then you are disserviced by "at least they're speaking the truth" comment - which I find hard to believe that public school officials actually said. If they did say this, then they are risking their jobs and should be disciplined.

Anyway, you are infringing on others free speech by interrupting them, and really, just being obnoxious.

If you feel compelled to voice your truth, then you should do like them and "preach" to an audience. Likewise, you wouldn't want your speech constantly interrupted by a peanut gallery if it wasn't a debate forum.

It is a free speech forum. People are free to say what they think; however, you cannot infringe on others freedom of speech. This means you can stand on your own soap box, but you cannot push someone off theirs.

There is no way your turn clause in the freedom of speech....
01-02-2012, 10:14 PM
(30-01-2012 12:07 PM)Bludred242 Wrote:  I denounced Christianity privatly about a year ago and recently I told everyone about it. Well I was at school and some of my fellow students preached to the student body. Which I really don't care about but I thought to myself that I should give an alternative to the daily bombardment of Bible quotes. I started to "preach" my lack of faith I guess. I was showing people that this wasn't the only way and I did this through mocking remarks to my fellow "preachers." They would say how Jesus loved everyone and I would reply that Jesus supported slavery. They would say that all the sinners would burn. I replied because he loves us all. That kind of thing. But I was asked by school officials to cease this because I was infringing upon others rights by speaking about my lack of faith openly. I was put in In School Suspention while the Christians continued their shouts of a loving skyman who wanted to burn everyone. I asked why I was in trouble and the Christian students were not. They replied "Atleast they speak the truth." So I as an American am not treated equally to my fellow man because I preach logic and they scream hate. I renounced my place in this country as a 1st class citizen to become a 2nd class target. So I ask you my fellow atheists do you believe that your treated on a lesser level than Christians? Why? I'm here to get the opinions of my peers so please post your thoughts on the matter. Thank you Big Grin

Yes. Religion (especially Christianity) does not teach acceptance. It teaches blind conformity. Anyone that does not conform must be converted by any means possible. Whether you threaten them into submission or promise false hopes.

They generally start with children. The adults they tend to find ones who are at a crossroads in their life or have come upon hard times.

Christopher Hitchens said it best when he compared religion to a virus.
01-02-2012, 10:18 PM
@OP

You are only allowed to infringe on someone else's freedom of speech if you are sincere about it, like the Christians. See, if you insult people and tell them they are wrong and will go to hell for eternity, then it is okay, because they are sincere.

./end sarcasm

On a side note, sue for the sake of punishment. I am not just saying that. You do have a legitimate case.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
01-02-2012, 11:26 PM
(30-01-2012 12:07 PM)Bludred242 Wrote:  I denounced Christianity privatly about a year ago and recently I told everyone about it. Well I was at school and some of my fellow students preached to the student body. Which I really don't care about but I thought to myself that I should give an alternative to the daily bombardment of Bible quotes. I started to "preach" my lack of faith I guess. I was showing people that this wasn't the only way and I did this through mocking remarks to my fellow "preachers." They would say how Jesus loved everyone and I would reply that Jesus supported slavery. They would say that all the sinners would burn. I replied because he loves us all. That kind of thing. But I was asked by school officials to cease this because I was infringing upon others rights by speaking about my lack of faith openly. I was put in In School Suspention while the Christians continued their shouts of a loving skyman who wanted to burn everyone. I asked why I was in trouble and the Christian students were not. They replied "Atleast they speak the truth." So I as an American am not treated equally to my fellow man because I preach logic and they scream hate. I renounced my place in this country as a 1st class citizen to become a 2nd class target. So I ask you my fellow atheists do you believe that your treated on a lesser level than Christians? Why? I'm here to get the opinions of my peers so please post your thoughts on the matter. Thank you Big Grin

If you're not just assuming, and the "school officials" silenced you because you were "speaking about [your] lack of faith openly" but they aren't silencing the Christians, then I agree with Jackrabbit --- sue their asses. But public school isn't a place for preaching of any sort. Of course you still have the right to free speech, but it encroaches on the "establishment" clause of the same amendment. They're right to shut you up, but they can't do it to you and allow the Christians to keep preaching.

I'm not treated on a lesser level than Christians. Of course Christians look down on me and I... well, I'd look down on them if I were the sort of person that looked down on people. But it just comes with being in the minority. I don't feel that there's anything particularly unusual about how our particular minority is treated.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user