26-01-2011, 05:38 AM
RE: 2 Suns in the sky
Well THIS is amazing news Tongue

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2011, 08:57 AM
(26-01-2011 05:38 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Well THIS is amazing news Tongue

I'll believe it's true when I'm holding a copy in my hand. Not a second sooner.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
26-01-2011, 09:57 AM
(26-01-2011 08:57 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  I'll believe it's true when I'm holding a copy in my hand. Not a second sooner.
After 11 years, i just stopped caring... Undecided

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
26-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Second sun (or moon ) would be amazing for the first day, fun for the second, and fuckin' annoying for the rest, if it would last for that long Smile but I want to live that, yeah

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
26-01-2011, 02:30 PM
An extra sun would mean twice the brightness and heat? Might be good for solar plants, but I don't want the sweat to boil on my skin in summer time.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
26-01-2011, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2011 06:59 PM by Chesstime.)
(26-01-2011 02:30 PM)Kikko Wrote:  An extra sun would mean twice the brightness and heat? Might be good for solar plants, but I don't want the sweat to boil on my skin in summer time.
No. It was a metaphoric statement enhanced by art.
The star in question is Betelgeuse.

Please look for my earlier reply in this thread for Explanation.
http://www.seds.org/Maps/Stars_en/beteigeuze_add.html
A Beautiful Photo of the Constellation Orion, and other surrounding stars. The Pleiades is also visible Above Orion. Betelgeuse is the Bright yellow/orange star top left in Orion. (His Shoulder). Also known as "Alpha Orionis" and lies about 430 light years away.
ok, I can't seem to attach the photo. let's try this...http://apod.nasa.gov//apod/image/1101/winterhexagon_westlake_big.jpg
Thank you all for bringing back my enthusiasm for astronomyCool

Well there seems to be a problem with attaching the photo I mentioned... I'll try a third method,,, here goes...

http://apod.nasa.gov//apod/image/1101/wi...ke_big.jpg

If this doesn't behave as a link, copy and paste it to your browser.

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
27-01-2011, 07:04 PM
So I assume they have evidence that the supernova has already occurred?

Like a particle that travels faster than light that has warned us that we'll get to see the ancient explosion soon?

0.o

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
27-01-2011, 07:44 PM

(27-01-2011 07:04 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  So I assume they have evidence that the supernova has already occurred?

Like a particle that travels faster than light that has warned us that we'll get to see the ancient explosion soon?

0.o

If we saw it tomorrow, then it means it happened 600-1200 years ago in actuality (however far it is away), but for all practical purposes, it is as if it is happening in real time. It's kind of like talking to someone on Mars. They will send you a message, and it will take 2 minutes or so to get to you, but once that initial 2 minutes has passed, as long as they talk continuously, you will hear them continuously. That's the beauty of the size of the universe. Any particles/shockwaves from the supernova that may hit earth could take much longer to get here, possibly millions of years.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't mean shockwave, there is no air in space lol. I'll just leave it at particles.
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 02:44 AM
(27-01-2011 07:04 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  So I assume they have evidence that the supernova has already occurred?

0.o
No; What they do have is evidence that the star is in the last stages of it's life. Betelgeuse is somewhere between 300 and700 light years away, so for the sake of simplification, lets say its 500. If it exploded 500 years ago, we would see it this year. Anyway, As I've explained before, when speaking of stars life cycles; + or - 100,000 years is like a sneeze. So it could happen today, or it might not be for another 'X' thousand years. But the "EVIDENCE" is that it is showing (And Teaching) us, how a star's life begins to end.
(It's actually shrinking and expanding in some non stable way!)

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
28-01-2011, 09:26 AM
It is always fascinating to look at the stars knowing that they might not exist by now. :O

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine