2 questions about ADD and ADHD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2012, 03:55 PM
RE: 2 questions about ADD and ADHD
(03-11-2012 08:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I was going to PM this to you but I couldn't.

Given your comment in Leela's poetry thread, I scribbled the following.

Not a classic but I hope you like it.

School poetry.

I didn’t get it:
poetry.

Other’s thoughts
and symmetry.

Metered, rhymeless,
blankly stupefying.
Or stilted-verse inanity.

Here, child,
is the correct interpretation
ABAB
CDCD.

No.

I choose ADHD
with intents and patterns just for me.

DLJ
You're awesome! and thanks for the tips on writing in the other thread! If/when I get the time to sit down and think about it.. I'll send you a msg or something with a simple first try Smile

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes k37713's post
03-11-2012, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 04:32 PM by Dark Light.)
I think it is a made up disorder. I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid, but I think it is just some peoples personalities, or traits that some people decided was bad. If I ever have children, and they are diagnosed, they aren't getting any meds for it. Call me what you will, but that is my opinion, its bullshit. It is a way for pharmaceutical companies and doctors get get money while parents get to look at their child and 'it isn't their fault, it's a disorder'. I am not alone in this thought either. It is a conspiracy, but before you judge me to be a nutter, read up on it.

EDIT: Just realized that sounded harsh, but I didn't mean it that way, and I am not on here to argue a case, all I am saying is read up on the history of the so-called epidemic that began out of thin air and judge for yourself. There is an excellent documentary on Netflix about this very subject which I recommend as well. I just think some peoples behavior is naturally different than others and that it normal, not a disorder. How many people have to get a "disorder" before it is considered norm behavior. I'm not saying the meds won't help folks concentrate, I'm just saying I think that the meds are altering the way their perfectly normal minds work, which I don't like.

03-11-2012, 04:31 PM
(03-11-2012 04:22 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I think it is a made up disorder. I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid, but I think it is just some peoples personalities, or traits that some people decided was bad. If I ever have children, and they are diagnosed, they aren't getting any meds for it. Call me what you will, but that is my opinion, its bullshit. It is a way for pharmaceutical companies and doctors get get money while parents get to look at their child and 'it isn't their fault, it's a disorder'. I am not alone in this thought either. It is a conspiracy, but before you judge me to be a nutter, read up on it.
I can actually say I've thought like that before because the list of symptoms just kinda looks like a flaky, irresponsible adult.. however.. my personality has nothing to do with the difficulty in stringing together several decent thoughts.. sometimes I have all of the ingredients sitting at the front of my brain.. but a complete inability to put them in the right order.. it can be frustrating.. and embarrassing

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
03-11-2012, 04:38 PM
(03-11-2012 04:31 PM)k37713 Wrote:  I can actually say I've thought like that before because the list of symptoms just kinda looks like a flaky, irresponsible adult.. however.. my personality has nothing to do with the difficulty in stringing together several decent thoughts.. sometimes I have all of the ingredients sitting at the front of my brain.. but a complete inability to put them in the right order.. it can be frustrating.. and embarrassing
Perhaps I should've chose my words more carefully...more accurately I believe that some folks just have normal brains that process information different than others, but is still well within the confines of a fully functional and disorder-free mind.

03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
(03-11-2012 04:38 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 04:31 PM)k37713 Wrote:  I can actually say I've thought like that before because the list of symptoms just kinda looks like a flaky, irresponsible adult.. however.. my personality has nothing to do with the difficulty in stringing together several decent thoughts.. sometimes I have all of the ingredients sitting at the front of my brain.. but a complete inability to put them in the right order.. it can be frustrating.. and embarrassing
Perhaps I should've chose my words more carefully...more accurately I believe that some folks just have normal brains that process information different than others, but is still well within the confines of a fully functional and disorder-free mind.

DL,

All disorders are made up. That's how the process works. There are many brain disorders and many causes.

When you see it first-hand or when you experience it yourself, it opens your eyes.

The professionals start by registering Incidents which then indicate a Problem. Root Cause as yet unknown. The Problem gets given a label (e.g. ADHD) which just indicates the existence of their hypothesis and then the sciencey process gets going.
Workarounds (palliative meds, behaviour management) address the Incidents / symptoms while the real boffins search for the cause.

The doctors (glorified Service Desk people) will often mis-categorise / mis-diagnose until more data comes in.

We treated our children's disorders without meds... mainly cos we saw (particularly with Aspergers) years of mis-diagnosis (missed-diagnosis from the 1950s to over-diagnosis in the 1990/2000s).

The big thing I learned was how much we are effected by our inputs (diet, environment etc.) and how behaviour (output following brain-processing) can be changed if the input changes.

This convinced me that we are biological machines.

There is a much more stategic question which does intrigue me...

What is "normal"?

The politically correct term for normal (i.e. without developmental brain disorders) is neuro-typical.

I would argue that this is a baseline (for assessment purposes) and not a "goal". I would not like a world where everyone is neuro-typical.

I like being "abnormal" Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-11-2012, 05:26 AM
I realize that a single experience counts for nothing in the scientific world, but for what it's worth, my young brother has ADHD, and when I went to his school for a PTA meeting with the counselor, principal and school psychologist, I was told that caffein seems to have calming effects on children with ADHD.
Naturally I found this to be suspect, but I dosed him with caffein in controlled intervals for the next few weeks, just to try it out, and each time I gave it to him, he was noticably more docile and clear-headed for about 6 hours afterward (approx. the amount of time it takes caffein to fully clear the system). The first time I thought it might be a fluke; the second time I assumed it was confirmation bias on my part; but the fourth, fifth and tenth time(s) in the proceeding weeks convinced me that the application of caffein (in the form of Mt. Dew) had a noticable physiological/psychological effect on the child.
What's more, an intake of heavily-colored foods (Red #40 in particular) sent him through the fucking roof. Not only is he not able to focus and runs around like crazy; but attempts to interact with him are next to impossible. His words reflect an out-of-control thought process; jumping frantically from one topic to the next and not making much sense in between. From what I've read and heard, food coloring has a negative effect on ADHD.
But ultimately, I don't fuckin' know. One group says X, the other says Y - nobody knows who the hell to listen to anymore. Just gotta feel things out for yourself.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2012, 10:05 AM
(04-11-2012 05:26 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I realize that a single experience counts for nothing in the scientific world, but for what it's worth, my young brother has ADHD, and when I went to his school for a PTA meeting with the counselor, principal and school psychologist, I was told that caffein seems to have calming effects on children with ADHD.
Naturally I found this to be suspect, but I dosed him with caffein in controlled intervals for the next few weeks, just to try it out, and each time I gave it to him, he was noticably more docile and clear-headed for about 6 hours afterward (approx. the amount of time it takes caffein to fully clear the system). The first time I thought it might be a fluke; the second time I assumed it was confirmation bias on my part; but the fourth, fifth and tenth time(s) in the proceeding weeks convinced me that the application of caffein (in the form of Mt. Dew) had a noticable physiological/psychological effect on the child.
What's more, an intake of heavily-colored foods (Red #40 in particular) sent him through the fucking roof. Not only is he not able to focus and runs around like crazy; but attempts to interact with him are next to impossible. His words reflect an out-of-control thought process; jumping frantically from one topic to the next and not making much sense in between. From what I've read and heard, food coloring has a negative effect on ADHD.
But ultimately, I don't fuckin' know. One group says X, the other says Y - nobody knows who the hell to listen to anymore. Just gotta feel things out for yourself.

Yup, as stated above, in fact... colourants, preservatives and additives.

But different person = different configuration = different causes and effects.

Caffeine works for me too. And nicotine.

Try putting your brother on 20 a day an experiment.

You can trust me, I'm a doctor

No

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Yes
(04-11-2012 10:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 05:26 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I realize that a single experience counts for nothing in the scientific world, but for what it's worth, my young brother has ADHD, and when I went to his school for a PTA meeting with the counselor, principal and school psychologist, I was told that caffein seems to have calming effects on children with ADHD.

Yup, as stated above, in fact... colourants, preservatives and additives.

But different person = different configuration = different causes and effects.

Caffeine works for me too. And nicotine.

Try putting your brother on 20 a day an experiment.

You can trust me, I'm a doctor

No
Yes

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
04-11-2012, 01:18 PM
I have ADHD and I fought the diagnosis for years until I lost a few jobs. These set backs helped clear away my own delusion that the diagnosis wasn't real.

After wards I purchased a couple of books on the subject, got a psychologist and psychiatrist. With medication and therapy I'm am infinitely better.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
04-11-2012, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2012 01:38 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
Ah shit.

Now I know why my day is going so bonkers.

Eating Cheese Nips. First time I see that red food coloring has negative effects. This made it first on the list for crackers for both me and 'crackers that contain red food coloring'. -_-!

I'm already fucked for today, but I'm gonna try to see if things get better when not delving in it.

EDIT: correction, it's the gorram YELLOW! Damnit! My reading skills are farked. Hobo Sadcryface2 Weeping

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ADHD/ADD BrokenQuill92 64 1,459 13-07-2014 04:57 PM
Last Post: BlackMason
  can one simply treat mental ilness and adhd by diet kunoxian drive 12 179 18-03-2014 08:51 AM
Last Post: Im_Ryan
  Ask an ADHD Kid Im_Ryan 48 1,298 03-02-2014 07:23 PM
Last Post: Im_Ryan
  ADHD My proboscis sucks 39 1,926 01-06-2013 03:50 AM
Last Post: No Mere Ape