2 questions for creationists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 03:07 PM
RE: 2 questions for creationists
(09-12-2013 02:26 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  In my defense, I took a bit of a break when this thread ballooned to so many pages. Other than that, I frequently correct things that I feel are inaccurate, even if they might otherwise fit in with my world view.

I'm not blaming you. I'm saying that I think you're having an argument that no one else is having, which is why they're getting confused about your statements. You are refuting something that was either overstated or hyperbole, and they are responding solely to your comments out of context of why you were saying them. That being said, further trying to prove the point would likely be pedantic.
Here's what happens. An atheist makes a specific claim. I challenge that specific claim. The atheist and/or other atheists then try to shift the burden of proof to me to prove a young earth, which I never claimed to be able to do.

I would have let the thread drop some time ago, except for the charges of intellectual dishonesty. I believe I've been reasonable throughout. Someone claims that dating methods always give the same results. I show that they don't, and that it's not just a matter of normal uncertainty in measurements. Now, if those cases don't bother someone and they still accept radiometric dating, that's their choice. It doesn't bother me. But don't say I'm dishonest because I'm skeptical.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2013, 03:38 PM
(06-12-2013 07:53 AM)Relic of the Darkling Wrote:  1: can you explain what it is that you put in your car?
2: can you explain dinosaur fossils?
my answers:
1: gasoline is plant and animal matter compressed over millions of years. this would not be possible if the world was 6000 to 10000 years old
Biblical Prophets of God never claimed that this Earth or our world is 6000 - 10000 years old.

(06-12-2013 07:53 AM)Relic of the Darkling Wrote:  2: why would an intelligent designer place dinosaur bones in the earth if dinosaurs never existed?
FACT: They existed.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
09-12-2013, 04:41 PM
(09-12-2013 03:38 PM)Alla Wrote:  Biblical Prophets of Gawd....

Oh, look.

[Image: Favorite-Toy-001.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
09-12-2013, 06:12 PM
(09-12-2013 07:27 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 09:43 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Have you considered working for Exxon/Mobile and maybe head up their Oil Exploration department? I'm sure they go by the 6,000 year old earth model, too.
Maybe they should. They drill a lot of dry holes. I've never understood how such failure rates support evolution.

Sideshows and distractions aside, oil is a resource that we use worldwide. Tell me something. Of all the oil discovered, what percentage of it was found using the 4.5 billion year old earth model, and what percentage of it was found using the 6,000 year old earth model? Take a guess.
09-12-2013, 06:16 PM
(09-12-2013 06:12 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Sideshows and distractions aside, oil is an resource that we use worldwide. Tell me something. Of all the oil discovered, what percentage of it was found using the 4.5 billion year old earth model, and what percentage of it was found using the 6,000 year old earth model? Take a guess.
You can't find it with a 6,000 year model if you don't try. Maybe it would fare better, maybe worse, but we don't know. My guess is that it'd be about the same.
09-12-2013, 06:24 PM
(09-12-2013 06:16 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 06:12 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Sideshows and distractions aside, oil is an resource that we use worldwide. Tell me something. Of all the oil discovered, what percentage of it was found using the 4.5 billion year old earth model, and what percentage of it was found using the 6,000 year old earth model? Take a guess.
You can't find it with a 6,000 year model if you don't try. Maybe it would fare better, maybe worse, but we don't know. My guess is that it'd be about the same.

Wow.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
09-12-2013, 07:59 PM
(09-12-2013 12:22 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 12:27 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  which defense mechanism of yours was penetrated to allow you to finally release yourself? I'm asking a genuine question albeit in a juvenile way. *snickers*

Sorry. I totally missed this when the thread ballooned to so many pages. It wasn't any single one. Assuming you were raised a Christian, there is quite a bit in place that makes a person stay a Christian. First you start with indoctrination from an age when the kid would believe in Santa. As they get older, pile on:
  • Tell them that doubt is normal, and what they're feeling is to be expected.
  • If doubts persist, tell them their fears are assuaged by [mysterious ways].
  • If the question the validity of [mysterious ways], tell them that their knowledge/logic is inferior to God's knowledge/logic.
  • If they realized that super-special God logic is likely just an escape-hatch argument, threaten them with eternal torture. Tell them that apostasy is the one unforgivable sin.
  • For good measure, strongly encourage them to hang around like-minded individuals and warn them of the perils of associating with infidels.
And you have to break through all of that. If one of the steps snares you, you have to start over from scratch again. Also, don't ever underestimate how powerful that hell step is, especially when paired with the whole no-takesies-backsies aspect of apostasy being unforgivable.

If my personal experience is anything close to normal, you stop believing well before you become comfortable with the idea that hell probably doesn't exist. A person might actually stop believing and still be too scared to admit it. In my case, it took me six months to go from being an atheist to being able to admit to myself that I no longer believed.

Thank you for sharing this with me.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
09-12-2013, 08:27 PM
No problem. Again, sorry I missed your question. It got buried with the rest of the posts.
12-12-2013, 11:33 PM
(09-12-2013 03:07 PM)alpha male Wrote:  Here's what happens. An atheist makes a specific claim. I challenge that specific claim. The atheist and/or other atheists then try to shift the burden of proof to me to prove a young earth, which I never claimed to be able to do.

I would have let the thread drop some time ago, except for the charges of intellectual dishonesty. I believe I've been reasonable throughout. Someone claims that dating methods always give the same results. I show that they don't, and that it's not just a matter of normal uncertainty in measurements. Now, if those cases don't bother someone and they still accept radiometric dating, that's their choice. It doesn't bother me. But don't say I'm dishonest because I'm skeptical.

Boy, you need to learn yourself some fucking science. Radiometric dating isn't the only evidence that disagrees with a thousands year old universe. Basic Newtonian physics does too.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
13-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Duplicate.