2 questions to ask a theist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2012, 08:26 AM
RE: 2 questions to ask a theist.
BB- not I didn't forget, I chose not to. As with your current post, it was relevant to my discusion with Caff thus I chose to reply.

I don't feel the need to reply to every post aimed at me, and I extend similar to those whom I post to. They can answer or not.

If I don't reply: it's because I chose not to.

Simple as that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2012, 08:27 AM
(27-09-2012 08:26 AM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  BB- not I didn't forget, I chose not to. As with your current post, it was relevant to my discusion with Caff thus I chose to reply.

I don't feel the need to reply to every post aimed at me, and I extend similar to those whom I post to. They can answer or not.

Simple as that.

Why do you choose not to reply?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
27-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Take your time I for C. I do not anticipate an immediate response.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
27-09-2012, 08:29 AM
(27-09-2012 08:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Take your time I for C. I do not anticipate an immediate response.

Not immediate, but I expect an answer at some point. It seems like Idiot here is simply ignoring any challenge he can't face.

27-09-2012, 08:33 AM
(27-09-2012 08:29 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 08:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Take your time I for C. I do not anticipate an immediate response.

Not immediate, but I expect an answer at some point. It seems like Idiot here is simply ignoring any challenge he can't face.

It seems to be the case with this latest rash of theists, all drive bys and no discussions.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
27-09-2012, 08:37 AM
(27-09-2012 08:26 AM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  BB- not I didn't forget, I chose not to. As with your current post, it was relevant to my discusion with Caff thus I chose to reply.

Simple as that.

I get it. Can't or won't. At least this one admits he's an idiot.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-09-2012, 08:37 AM
IfC, I get that there's a fair amount to respond to, take however long you need.

I would also like to apologize for my instant aggression, that rant was a bit tactless and I usually present myself better than that. I'm not retracting the points I made, however.
[+] 2 users Like caffeinesoul's post
27-09-2012, 09:15 AM
(25-09-2012 04:24 PM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  Impulse

"
You really need to learn what your own faith teaches. It teaches that God is the ultimate beginning of everything. Without him, there would be nothing - that includes love, logic, sin, etc. He supposedly created the universe, everything in it, all the laws of physics, time, etc. Everything."

So, do you believe that logic exists or not? You didn't answer. Once you do, we can go back to whether or not the nature of something is created or not.
Sorry, the way it was originally phrased, I didn't realize you actually wanted an answer. Yes, I believe logic exists. So please continue.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
27-09-2012, 09:34 AM
(27-09-2012 09:15 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 04:24 PM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  Impulse

"
You really need to learn what your own faith teaches. It teaches that God is the ultimate beginning of everything. Without him, there would be nothing - that includes love, logic, sin, etc. He supposedly created the universe, everything in it, all the laws of physics, time, etc. Everything."

So, do you believe that logic exists or not? You didn't answer. Once you do, we can go back to whether or not the nature of something is created or not.
Sorry, the way it was originally phrased, I didn't realize you actually wanted an answer. Yes, I believe logic exists. So please continue.

I would say basic logic is intrinsic.

27-09-2012, 09:43 AM
(26-09-2012 09:50 AM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  2. As for why do I believe it. Many reasons, but again I’ll keep it short.
a. For one – through personal experience, I have come to find that the Bible and Jesus’ teachings speak to many truths in life.
b. I have had personal experiences with God, via prayer, situations and other people.
c. I believe in love, and that Jesus shows us the way to that ultimate love and how we are to love one another – and I find this to be true in that it does bring a life that is unknown prior to it.
d. I learn day by day my short comings, my failings as a loving person. As I believe one can’t grow, if one doesn’t discover their errors and shortcomings.
e. Through learning my shortcomings, I learn to love other more fully and freely and again, this shows me a life far better than one lived for myself. I am shown, through study and application, that a life lived for others and loving others is truly a life worth living and how things are truly to be.
f. I learn that I too have blame to share in the state of affairs in the world. Rather than pointing a finger, I learn to lend a hand.
g. I am shown that it’s heart and soul that truly matter. Not the bank account, not a persons status in life, or their beliefs, or my beliefs – but where my heart and soul are. Either they are with God in love, or they are not (sin). One way, while seeming good TO ME, is really a death of sorts – slow enough to barely notice, but strong enough to be a continual issue.
Interesting. All those reasons and not one has anything to do with evidence or rationality. Honestly, I'm surprised there isn't more given the strength of the convictions you have expressed throughout this thread.

a) The same can be said of just about any religious leader or doctrine. None of them would still exist if they couldn't be related to truths because then they would become so obviously false that people would dismiss them as pure nonsense. I bet if you gave serious consideration to other religions, even your personal experience would reveal "evidence" for those other religions simply out of coincidence. But it really amounts to selective attention given to those things that fit while selectively ignoring the ones that don't.

b) I can't intelligently discuss those without details, but I'd be willing to bet those fit right into what I said about a) above.

c) No god, including Jesus, is necessary for love. And this isn't a reason for (as in "argument for") believing in Jesus even if he really is God. It would just be a benefit of believing.

d) I completely agree with you here and it's without including any god.

e) Again, this is true even without god.

f) Again, this is true even without god.

g) I agree with the general theme here, except of course I disagree with the "soul" and the parts relating to God. I can understand the truth in that theme without needing an imaginary god to affirm it for me.

So, given that god isn't necessary for c through g, those aren't arguments for believing in a god or believing in a specific god. And, as I pointed out, a and b are very weak arguments since they are easily explained without any god, unless you have some example that will floor me regarding b). Is this really all there is to why you believe in Christianity?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair