2 questions to ask a theist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2012, 04:56 PM
RE: 2 questions to ask a theist.
(11-10-2012 03:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-10-2012 03:31 PM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  What no teaser?

If you know the prominent parable scholars, you won't be surprised. You may be by the external sources from non-canonical texts, and other circulating Near East sources. Don't hold your breath. I have a lot of other stuff in the works also :

Immortal Souls debunked, Immortality, where did it come from ? "For thou are dust, and unto dust thou shalt return" ??
Where did Moses come from? The Books of J, E, P, and D. Documentary Hypothesis, Fragmentary Hypothesis, new developments.
Parables : Sources, meanings, context, and use.
The Golden Calf, the Judean Priests, and ancient "church politics".
Biola University, Presuppositionalism,, the rise of American Evangelicalism/Literalism/Fundamentalism, good-faith search for truth, or exercise in confirmation bias ?
Quote:Do you eat shrimp ? Pick your abomination.

Is this a book/article or just you asking odd questions that don't have to do with connecting the prodigal son to the Pearl?

Who gets to be a priest ? Can you count in cubits ? The concept of "pious fraud".
The Persian Imperative, the Torah of Moses, Ezra's letter from Artaxerxes, and the Bible makes it's debut, (bring a sandwitch).
Resurrection, intent of gospels, reliability of witnesses, standards of evidence, magical thinking, ubiquitous miracles, zombie bodies, consistent acceptance of other events with same level of evidence,
Megabelifs, fault tolerance, (doubt), graceful degradation, paradigm shift, induction of "crisis of faith", in Systems Theory
Relationship of Jews and Christians in Early Church
Inspiration and Suppression, actual historical processes in canon formation
"Goof" (non-Biblical) notion of faith as Moral Choice, place of legitimate un-belief
Group Theory, "demonization" of the "other" and Conflict Theory
Linguistic consistency, and bad faith use of the Kalam argument.
Paulianity, or why the religion Christians practice really isn't.
Why Mormonism is not (historically) Christianity
All of Christianity built on "goof" of sin, vs Chaos.
Theist' s concept of "Free Will" debunked
Legitimacy of honest Non-Belief in Christian Theology
St. Ireneaus, and the myth of community authentication, and how proven known historical processes disprove "inspiration" claims.
The rise of American Protestant Fundamentalism, and how it stands, historically, outside the authentic Christian tradition, historic roots and rise of
Purification, Atonement, Mithraism, and Zoroastrianism
Micha-el, Gabri-el, Uri-el, Rapha-el, Ragu-el, Sari-el, Remi-el. Notice anything fishy ?
Ghosts, goblins, magical thinking, rituals, ancestor worship, fables, in pre-scientific ancient and modern cultures

Okay, are those books/articles/lectures? Just random lists of things? Please give me some names of folks who make the same connection of the prodigal son to the pearl that you are (eventually) going to do...

Which books,specifically, are you waiting for from your friend exactly?__________

Even web links that do the same connection would be cool.

thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 05:21 PM by Idiot for Christ.)
(11-10-2012 03:30 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  One area? Okay. You can't provide EVIDENCE for nonexistence of anything. You can demonstrate through a lack of evidence something being unlikely but that is not evidence against it.

Which catches my attention! Hey you're going to point at something from my reply I uploaded! Point out why my defense against your claim of fallacy is faulty!

Quote:"So, how do i know that he wasn't shot the previous night?
1) overnight staff didn't hear gunshots.
2) he had no injuries as a result of this. (of course, he offered up that this was do to the fact that he "heals quickly") - however, these bullets were supposedly IN HIM still, yet NO x-ray ever showed this - absense of evidence.
3) I know the owner of the company that I work for, have been to her house, she's not a terrorist.
4) the staff I hired to work at the house were not terrorist.
5) he has no military record"

Oooops, dang...guess not.

Quote:1) Not evidence against it. The overnight staff is absent of the knowledge of gunshots. That does not mean it did not happen, only that they lack the knowledge that it happened.

LOL!!!!!!!

Quote:2) So he can't use the argument that he heals quickly and that his body assimilated the bullets? How would one disprove that if the claim were made?

Ah, there's that word dis-PROVE! Boy you can't stop using it...can't stop moving that goal post.

But, to go with this should I list evidence against bodies healing so fast? Overnight? to leave no scar?

Quote:3) I can't know if your wife loves you or not but you know if someone is a terrorist by going to their house?

WHAT?

I don't even know where you are going with this...

First of all, I never said you couldn't "KNOW" that my wife loves me (dang, where did you get this?) I said I couldn't PROVE my wife loved me...good greif man, are you purposely misunderstanding?

However, I think you are a bit confused, I shall clear something up:

This house was supervised by me, and OWNED by the company, the man LIVED in the house- it was not HIS HOUSE - quote,"when I ran a foster care home for MI folks."

A foster home - not HIS home, he just lives there. the company I WORK for owns the house.

Quote: How did you obtain this skill and what about their house would prove they are not a terrorist?

Just showed you...but again, you just jump the gun BEFORE thinking or even asking for clarification if you don't understand something....

Quote:What does a terrorist's house look like? Timothy McVeigh had a perfectly normal house, he kept all the explosives supplies in a storage shed. Could she have a shed full of "terrorist" supplies?

Reads kinda silly now, but again YOU jumped to a conclusion...and didn't bother to read/understand what was typed.

"foster home" was mentioned PRIOR to all else, if you didn't know what a foster home was, you should have asked....

Quote:4) Same point as above. You don't believe they are terrorists, but neither did the Army when they allowed McVeigh to enlist and no one denied any of the 9/11 attackers entrance into the US.

(sigh)

Quote:5) What if he had said he had military experience in a past life? Where do you begin to deconstruct that claim.

Ah, changing the goal post because you can't come up with anything better....

Quote:Not one single point you are making is evidence against it. Every single point is either a point of absent evidence or a strategy can be employed whereby an untestable or unverifiable or unfalsifiable addition can be made.

(sigh.....)

Quote:Ergo, when you site your "evidence" that a god exists by listing things like love and the universe, all you are doing is listing things and emotions we humans have defined. The universe exists and it is evidence it exists.

Unless you are delusional...

Quote:The fact that the universe exists demonstrates the universe exists. There is no requirement for the universe to exist along with a god.

Perhaps not, but that says nothing to whether or not God exists.

Quote:Round and round we go. Give me one, just one, piece of evidence against something that does not exist or did not happen. If you can, you will win a nobel prize, and I am not kidding. That would truly be humanity's greatest achievement. Are you arrogant enough to think you can?

Wow...serious...wow...and completely IGNORING all challenges to 1) show me wrong in ANY defense of my so called fallacious arguments....none, you haven't, in fact you ADMITTED one such claim was actually NOT.

2) when challened to pick something in my uploaded reply you do what?

COMPLETELY misread, and again move the goal post my LAST post and shown that you jump the gun without understanding....

And showing that you ARE being the arbiter of what is/isn't evidence....

Funny how you didn't also bring up the evidence AGAINST his being married to Buffy the vampire slayer I listed - oh, probably because that IS evidence against his claim and easily shown to be such...

So again, care to answer ANY of the questions I posed you and ACTUALLY take up the challenge to show ANY of my defenses of why my arguments WEREN'T fallacies?

...oh, here' s my favorite line so far:
Quote:You can demonstrate through a lack of evidence something being unlikely but that is not evidence against it.

It can be, which you COMPLETELY missed the point with the elephant and the worm...but I await you ACTUALLY taking up the challenge.
11-10-2012, 05:23 PM
(11-10-2012 02:06 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Is it bad to say I am enjoying TheBeardedDude rip into this guy? Should I join in, or stay out of it because I know he has this...

For now I will keep on watching, waiting... And chewing my popcorn very loudly.

Jump on in! Maybe you can take up the challenge that BD keeps dodging...
11-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Done. I have lost too many hours on trolls.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
11-10-2012, 05:24 PM
If I may, BD and IfC, what exactly are the two of you trying to accomplish here? What does each of you expect to gain from continuing this?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
11-10-2012, 05:27 PM
BD -

Oh and one more thing:
Quote:You can demonstrate through a lack of evidence something being unlikely but that is not evidence against it.

So God very well may exist then...because we can take what you just said here and say....

You can demonstrate through lack of evidence GOD being unlikely but that is not evidence against it.

However, that is EXACTLY what you have admitted to doing...
11-10-2012, 05:31 PM
(11-10-2012 05:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Done. I have lost too many hours on trolls.

Yep, figured...only a matter of time...actually challenged? Dodge...called on it? Name call.

See ya around BD...
11-10-2012, 05:38 PM
And it seems that I have been called upon to take the challenge... Now I am a bit rusty so lets go slow, and enjoy this discussion.

I am going to tell you flat out, I am a person who likes direct confrontation, so if you even ATTEMPT to dodge anything, I will call you out.

Now, I shall give you the honor of what you want to talk about.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
11-10-2012, 05:45 PM
(11-10-2012 05:38 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  And it seems that I have been called upon to take the challenge... Now I am a bit rusty so lets go slow, and enjoy this discussion.

I am going to tell you flat out, I am a person who likes direct confrontation, so if you even ATTEMPT to dodge anything, I will call you out.

Now, I shall give you the honor of what you want to talk about.

Great!

Love a direct and honest challenge - and please DO CALL shit if you see it, if I dodge, KEEP CALLING SHIT!!!

I'm not afraid of being wrong, but I will keep fighting if I think I'm right.

Quick BG - DB asked me general questions, I answered, he made a reply (a pdf file a few pages back) claiming fallacies on my part - A LOT of them.

I wrote back, took quite a bit of time to do so I might add, showing him why what he presented WERE NOT fallacies (at least not YET!). I added it as a doc.

He claimed, generally, that I didn't do a good job.

I asked for specifics - he didn't provide any...went off elsewhere on other quotes that hinted to me he didn't really READ my reply, which I pointed out.

etc.....

So, while reading the stuff is probably tedious - if you wish, please find where my defense of what I believe is NOT a fallacy and show that it truly IS.

I wish my arguments NOT to be...

Also, to answer ANY of the many questions I asked of him. Feel free to quote and answer whichever question interests you to answer, ANY question answered will be fine.

I look forward to your replies!
11-10-2012, 05:46 PM
But beware....I am a troll.

More than one person has said so....must be true then...