2 questions to ask a theist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2012, 05:47 PM
RE: 2 questions to ask a theist.
(11-10-2012 05:45 PM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 05:38 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  And it seems that I have been called upon to take the challenge... Now I am a bit rusty so lets go slow, and enjoy this discussion.

I am going to tell you flat out, I am a person who likes direct confrontation, so if you even ATTEMPT to dodge anything, I will call you out.

Now, I shall give you the honor of what you want to talk about.

Great!

Love a direct and honest challenge - and please DO CALL shit if you see it, if I dodge, KEEP CALLING SHIT!!!

I'm not afraid of being wrong, but I will keep fighting if I think I'm right.

Quick BG - DB asked me general questions, I answered, he made a reply (a pdf file a few pages back) claiming fallacies on my part - A LOT of them.

I wrote back, took quite a bit of time to do so I might add, showing him why what he presented WERE NOT fallacies (at least not YET!). I added it as a doc.

He claimed, generally, that I didn't do a good job.

I asked for specifics - he didn't provide any...went off elsewhere on other quotes that hinted to me he didn't really READ my reply, which I pointed out.

etc.....

So, while reading the stuff is probably tedious - if you wish, please find where my defense of what I believe is NOT a fallacy and show that it truly IS.

I wish my arguments NOT to be...

Also, to answer ANY of the many questions I asked of him. Feel free to quote and answer whichever question interests you to answer, ANY question answered will be fine.

I look forward to your replies!
More or less, I want you to state what you want to argue about, or discuss, if you want. I see it as a curtesy that the person whom I am graciously facing gets the lead. Please, by all means, present an argument of which we can discuss.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 05:48 PM
(11-10-2012 05:46 PM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  But beware....I am a troll.

More than one person has said so....must be true then...

I don't care either way..

If you are, then this is just good practice.

If you aren't then this is an honest and good discussion ( plus good practice.)

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
11-10-2012, 05:57 PM
(11-10-2012 05:48 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 05:46 PM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  But beware....I am a troll.

More than one person has said so....must be true then...

I don't care either way..

If you are, then this is just good practice.

If you aren't then this is an honest and good discussion ( plus good practice.)

Ah, well where to start - since you are giving me first go...like I said, BD asked the questions, I answered.

Picking something out of what he and I were going back and forth on seems...arbitrary at present.

What I'll do, I'll look back at my reply to him and see if there's an area that could be expanded upon. I don't think I'll get to it tonight...or even this weekend. However, if you in the mean time find something, or just decide to chat about something pop it up!

Off the top of my head: He thinks Rome was NEEDED by Christianity to spread, I disagreed.

I admitted while Rome helped, it wasn't needed, it had spread despite persecution - because of the message: Jesus.

he brought up (generally) there were LOTS similar to Jesus. But when Rome adopted Christianity it was the ONLY way it could have spread and still be around today.

I disagreed, stated my reasons. etc...

I told him he was SPECULATING and admitted I was doing the same - however, he didn't admit he was speculating and argued it was FACT that Christianity ONLY would be around today thanks to Rome...

If that doesn't strike you as entertaining, I'll go back and look some more...

...or heck, if you think he made a good point recently, bring that up and lets go from there and see what happens!

off to watch the Debate! (no, I will not discuss Mormonism...at least not yet)
11-10-2012, 05:58 PM
As with practice, I agree...though it's only as good as the participant sadly...
11-10-2012, 06:34 PM
(11-10-2012 04:56 PM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  Okay, are those books/articles/lectures? Just random lists of things? Please give me some names of folks who make the same connection of the prodigal son to the pearl that you are (eventually) going to do...

Which books,specifically, are you waiting for from your friend exactly?__________

Even web links that do the same connection would be cool.

thanks.

You can't be serious. Do your own homework.
(They are papers I'm writing, that are in various states of completion).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
12-10-2012, 08:21 AM
BB - Ah, well see I'm still interested in you pearl connection. And since you won't put anything up soon (if ever) I was just curious if 1) you could list the books you are going to use(the one your friend has).

I'd gladly look into this books myself: however I don't know what ones you are referring to.

Also, I am curioslus to know others who share you view of the pearl/prodigal son connection.

A list of papers you are working in makes a nice list.

Quite easy to answer: far easier than writing your irrelevant list.
13-10-2012, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2012 05:46 AM by Vosur.)
(11-10-2012 05:23 PM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  Jump on in! Maybe you can take up the challenge that BD keeps dodging...
Speaking of people who keep dodging challenges, you're one of them too, because you keep dodging my challenge to deliver evidence for the resurrection of Jesus. Wink

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
13-10-2012, 07:19 AM
(13-10-2012 05:42 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 05:23 PM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  Jump on in! Maybe you can take up the challenge that BD keeps dodging...
Speaking of people who keep dodging challenges, you're one of them too, because you keep dodging my challenge to deliver evidence for the resurrection of Jesus. Wink

The testimony of multiple eyewitnesses, the writings of several Roman sources contemporary with Jesus, the healing of countless thousands through faith in Christ, all this you cannot accept because... You just can't take the idea... a man rising from the dead is that unreasonable to you ? Not just a man, but a God? Remember, a God does things in ways you can't even imagine. Why should he stick to your idea of what reality should be?

Smile

I should add for completeness that he not only rose from the dead, but also floated away on a cloud. Also walked on water, assaulted fig trees and murdered pigs. But the important bit is that he is alive even today and he loves you Wink Ask him into your heart Vosur Big Grin
13-10-2012, 09:25 AM
(13-10-2012 05:42 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

I know, because you DESERVE a reply from me...

However, I do feel honored that you have hung in there so long...I guess I'll call this another request.

As I told you - 8 times, then we'll chat about it.

What's this? Four?

Just four more times...
13-10-2012, 09:28 AM
hey its ifc yay. I missed you. Smile

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.