2 questions to ask a theist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2012, 10:18 AM
RE: 2 questions to ask a theist.
"hould do. Helps us to think you're not a troll. Welcome to the board. Don't mind the language."

---Perhaps I will, don't plan on being a troll. Thanks. Never do mind the language...I'm a big boy!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Why can't I find my pants?

I left them here, where did they go?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
25-09-2012, 10:26 AM
impulse: "but surely you don't think humans have caused earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, volcanic eruptions"

Um...I know some environmentalists that seem to think so. via pollution, drilling, fracking, etc....

However, "Actually, sin corrupts humans."

Correct, I didn't mean - if I did - to imply the opposite. However, there are some that believe that animals didn't eat each other BEFORE sin entered the world. I don't know if I subscribe to that, as in the long run, it really doesn't matter if that was the case or not. what matters is, of course, the corruption of the heart via sin. So yes, in that regard I agree with "sin corrupts humans."

"He already has hell to punish, he doesn't need anything else. By that teaching, here on earth, he wants us to follow him and worship him. So, in his infinite wisdom, making us suffer is his idea of the best way to accomplish that?"

God gives a choice. Be with him or not. He wants us with him, yet he won't force us. We are allowed to go against his will and not chose him. However, there will come a time when this choice will have a consequence. Given this: Is chosing against him and then reaping our outcome HIM making us suffer?
25-09-2012, 10:26 AM
(25-09-2012 09:05 AM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  The answers are quite simple.

1. No
2. Because of the ample evidence AGAINST Santa's existence.

If you would like we can go through such evidence, though I'm sure you know most of it as well - which is also why you don't believe.

If you are trying to make a comparison about God, than you might want to be prepared to answer similarly.

That is:
1. do you beleive in God.
2. why not?

I would assume for number two you be wanting and able to provide a list of ample evidence AGAINST God.

if you feel you can do so, I would love to discuss it further and see what evidence you have against God - similar to the evidence we both have against Santa.

1. No.
2. No evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-09-2012, 10:27 AM
(25-09-2012 09:40 AM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  2. No one "created" sin. Sin is the opposite of Love. For every attribute of God, there is an opposite. Sin is doing, thinking, etc. the opposite of the nature of God - which is love. If there was no opposite, no being able to go against God's will, then free will doesn't truly exist. Sin is allowed to be availble to us as a choice.
Sorry, but that's a cop out. Since you're a Christian (by your name), you believe that in the "beginning" there was God and NOTHING else. The word beginning is in quotes, because for that god, there was no actual beginning. For everything else, there was a beginning and before that point is what I'm referring to. God then created everything. All things, including their opposites, are part of the everything that God created. So then again, who created sin?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
25-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Idiot for christ did you take my pants?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
25-09-2012, 10:31 AM
"1. God could stand before me so I don't have to have faith and I would still need to make a choice whether to follow him. And, given the many imperfections that he displays (anger, jealousy, etc.), I very well might choose not to. Merely showing himself to me wouldn't force me to do anything. The really interesting thing would be when each of the thousands of gods stood before me, which would I choose...?"

I would ask, how would you really know it was God standing before you and not just your imagination? He could show you, and perhaps he does daily, and yet you could right it off as bad food, or whatnot. And while you MIGHT think that would convince you, I would argue it would not. Since you don't believe now, why would you believe something, anything showing itself before you claiming it was God?

As for imperfections, as you put it, I would argue they are OUR imperfections that he humbles himself to in order to reach our hearts - quite poetic if you ask me.
25-09-2012, 10:31 AM
"Idiot for christ did you take my pants? "

Yes....sorry...but they do really look better on me.
[+] 2 users Like Idiot for Christ's post
25-09-2012, 10:34 AM
"So then again, who created sin? "

I guess you don't believe then that a nature can exist without being created?

Allowing FOR and creating aren't necessarily equal. God can ALLOW for a nature his oposite without creating it. Again, one would have to subcribe to a belief that natures ARE and are not created.

IE - do you believe logic exists?
25-09-2012, 10:37 AM
1. No evidence of elves existing anywhere, including N. Pole.
I have seen human beings who are below four feet tall. We call them little people. One of many definitions of an elf:
One of a kind of legendary beings, usually characterized as small, manlike, and mischievous.

A little person can posses all of these traits. Tell me again how there is no evidence of elves existing anywhere. I've seen them. Then tell me why you believe in angels, which I haven't seen.

2. No evidence of a toy manufactoring plant in the N. Pole owned by Santa, worked at by elves. And this would have to be a biiiiiig place to make all those toys.

As big as the Ark? It is very obvious that Santa has powers that allow him to exist outside of our natural laws. The ability to deliver gifts around the world in one night proves this. Why would his shop be any different? Also, there are companies that provide products worldwide. A single cereal factory, for example, can produce millions of boxes of cereal in a year. There's a real world example of a not-so-big structure producing huge volumes of product. Since Santa's "customers" are only children, he doesn't need to produce something for every person in the world.

3. No evidence of flying reindeer (as listed in link).

How would you actually see them? Santa exists beyond space-time limitations.

4. No guy evey actually claiming to be Santa has ever proven he was Santa.

No guy ever actually claiming to be Jesus has ever proven he was Jesus.

1. All parents admit that it is THEY who provide the child with toys on Christmas Eve - not Santa.

Mine didn't. Besides, priests have admitted they didn't believe in god and never felt the holy spirit. Those parents simply weren't true believers.

2. Toys Santa supposedly makes at his shop, can be purchased at various store around the world and are actually made by OTHER companies (ample proof of this).

Miracles attributed to god can be credited to random luck and occurrence. But to explain, children want what they see. A child sees an advertisement for a toy on TV and asks for it. Santa must make this toy, regardless of its original manufacturer. How can a child ask for a toy that doesn't already exist?

3. All Santas found at malls around Christmas times are actually persons playing Santa.

Yeah. The baby Jesus at my old church's nativity scene turned out to be a neighborhood baby. I understand your disappointment here.

4. Same with the elves.

Ditto on the wise men.

5. the Santa that we all know and love (especially children) who is at the mall and on Coke products during the holiday season was created by Haddon Sundblom (though there were other depictions of Santa, this one caught on).

No, he simply channeled the word of Santa, as the bible's authors did with the word of god.

6. Santa's origins can be traced back - try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus for more info.

The concept of all-powerful gods can also be traced back. As well as scapegoats. Miracles. Magical powers. Creation of the earth. Etc.

You have not, in my opinion, provided a solid argument against Santa.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 6 users Like guitar_nut's post