20 Scientifically-Proven Signs You're Smarter Than Average

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2011, 07:23 PM
20 Scientifically-Proven Signs You're Smarter Than Average
It's a slideshow, but interesting. Pay special attention to number 4. Big Grin

http://www.businessinsider.com/20-scient...al-drugs-1

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2011, 07:56 PM
RE: 20 Scientifically-Proven Signs You're Smarter Than Average
I hit like 80% of those bastards... (I type as I sit here late at night smoking my weed)

But this is not news to me. I am well aware of my geniousity.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
18-02-2011, 08:18 PM
I was always told I was a smart kid growing up. Yeah, I hit a lot of those indicators. People still tell me I'm smart today. But when I take stock of where I am in life, and take into account how often the people I know listen to me, I sure as hell don't feel overly smart.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
18-02-2011, 08:52 PM
(18-02-2011 08:18 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  I was always told I was a smart kid growing up. Yeah, I hit a lot of those indicators. People still tell me I'm smart today. But when I take stock of where I am in life, and take into account how often the people I know listen to me, I sure as hell don't feel overly smart.

That sounds like something I could have written!!

I think that for some of us,(or many, or most, I don't know) with intelligence also comes introspection. I know that for me, that introspection often leads to worry and insecurity. I tend to question and worry over almost everything that I do. I've often wished I had used my intelligence to do better in life, mainly career wise. Smart people are supposed to have great jobs and make lots of money, right? Smart people are supposed to see their path clearly and make smart decisions and go far in life! Not this smart person. I'm doing ok, but I very often wish I had made different schooling and career choices. I never really knew what I "wanted to be when I grew up" and I still don't. I really envy those people who seem to have found that path easily.

This is my inner monologue and may make no sense to anyone else. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
18-02-2011, 09:02 PM
(18-02-2011 08:52 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  
(18-02-2011 08:18 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  I was always told I was a smart kid growing up. Yeah, I hit a lot of those indicators. People still tell me I'm smart today. But when I take stock of where I am in life, and take into account how often the people I know listen to me, I sure as hell don't feel overly smart.

That sounds like something I could have written!!

I think that for some of us,(or many, or most, I don't know) with intelligence also comes introspection. I know that for me, that introspection often leads to worry and insecurity. I tend to question and worry over almost everything that I do. I've often wished I had used my intelligence to do better in life, mainly career wise. Smart people are supposed to have great jobs and make lots of money, right? Smart people are supposed to see their path clearly and make smart decisions and go far in life! Not this smart person. I'm doing ok, but I very often wish I had made different schooling and career choices. I never really knew what I "wanted to be when I grew up" and I still don't. I really envy those people who seem to have found that path easily.

I definitely wish I had had enough foresight to have made different educational choices. As far as jobs and money, I don't care about money that much. I just wish I worked one job that paid enough for me to pay my bills and save for my wedding, but that requires me to work two, and it's really taxing on what I am doing with my education right now.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
18-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I hit like half of those indicators, but I failed high school (that has to be worse than dropping out...) so I call an exception.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
18-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah, none of these are guarantees, but they have been shown to have correlations with intelligence.

I didn't hit 14, not sure if I hit 18, and I didn't hit number 1. Other than that, every single one.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
18-02-2011, 10:24 PM
(18-02-2011 08:52 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  I think that for some of us,(or many, or most, I don't know) with intelligence also comes introspection. I know that for me, that introspection often leads to worry and insecurity. I tend to question and worry over almost everything that I do. I've often wished I had used my intelligence to do better in life, mainly career wise. Smart people are supposed to have great jobs and make lots of money, right? Smart people are supposed to see their path clearly and make smart decisions and go far in life! Not this smart person. I'm doing ok, but I very often wish I had made different schooling and career choices. I never really knew what I "wanted to be when I grew up" and I still don't. I really envy those people who seem to have found that path easily.

It makes perfect sense to me. In fact, I agree with it in almost every particular.

When I was attending psychiatric sessions to determine whether or not I have Asperger's (turns out I do, but it's not very pronounced. I also have ADHD, but it's likewise very mild), they did a full psych analysis. My I.Q. is 142, plus or minus five points. I'm not sure what the average is, because I never bothered to find out, but apparently that's substantially above it.

That's not me trying to brag, just trying to put this into context. So... I'm smart. I know I'm smart. Other people know I'm smart. But I've always done very poorly in real-world situations. In fact, the only arena where I consistently perform well is the internet.

Because, when I'm online, I've got easy verification of what I'm saying at my fingertips from a moment's Googling. In real life, I often do worse than other people who are technically less intelligent than I am. It's because I am a very introspective person - it goes along with intelligence. Highly intelligent people tend to have more well-developed metacognitive abilities - that is, they're better at examining their own thinking for errors. But this metacognitive development has a downside: it causes them to second-guess themselves and have difficulty making decisions without having all the information at their fingertips.

So, in real life, I'm largely rudderless. I can think over all the different possibilities, and take a rough stab at what is likely to be the right answer, but unless it's something where the result is easily verified (e.g. math), I am pretty much incapable of making a decision, because I keep second-guessing myself. This leads to problems in schoolwork and in social relationships.

So your post is pretty much right on the money, trillium13. The only reason I say I agree with most rather than all of it is because I've known what I wanted to be since very early childhood. I've loved tabletop games since my father bought me a Dungeons & Dragons intro kit when I was nine. Big Grin

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
18-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Number 17 had quoted FOX News, so I have a high suspicion that this is less than it appears to be. I hit on 12 different points, but there where 4 or 5 unknowns.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
19-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Of these i'm around 14-18, and yes being introspective should be pretty much all of us. It's part of where questioning your beliefs comes in. I have an exceptional talent at doing things I've never done before so I never really gained a trade, which makes me a bit envious of people who are only really capable of doing one thing. I also dropped out of highschool but it was a health and stress issue, also schooling has never determined intelligence plenty of people who left school were brilliant. Independent learning is not worse than group learning for intelligence. And yay I got a free pass on the sleeping around one!!!! =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.