20 Scientifically-Proven Signs You're Smarter Than Average

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2011, 11:09 AM
RE: 20 Scientifically-Proven Signs You're Smarter Than Average
Just for the record, this is made to make people feel like they have "indicators" of being smart. The funny thing is, none of these make you smart, they have simply been found to have a correlation with being smart. Not saying you guys aren't smart, but this is designed so that most people hit on over 50%.

Just sayin'.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2011, 03:28 PM
(19-02-2011 11:09 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Just for the record, this is made to make people feel like they have "indicators" of being smart. The funny thing is, none of these make you smart, they have simply been found to have a correlation with being smart. Not saying you guys aren't smart, but this is designed so that most people hit on over 50%.

Just sayin'.
Aw, way to burst everybody's bubble!

I'm just kidding, I hear what you're saying. We spent a month last semester in two different classes talking about how correlation shows neither causation nor necessity.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
19-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I hit about 15 maybe 16 but still how much of this is correlation and how much causation ?
I think we should double check the studies and journals cited and check for any errors - just in case Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
19-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Actually It's been proven that people who are drastic underachievers overestimate their ability while the highly capable tend to underestimate their ability.

Which really does apply to religion in a very large degree.
19-02-2011, 08:26 PM
(19-02-2011 11:09 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Just for the record, this is made to make people feel like they have "indicators" of being smart. The funny thing is, none of these make you smart, they have simply been found to have a correlation with being smart. Not saying you guys aren't smart, but this is designed so that most people hit on over 50%.

Entirely true, but there is a correlation. There's no guarantee that having these means you're more intelligent than usual, but it's interesting to see which ones you have nonetheless. I don't think anyone here is deluding themselves into thinking that getting hits on these guarantees their intellectual superiority.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
19-02-2011, 09:44 PM
I too think it's a stupid poll or list. But just for the record; I only weigh 120 pounds!
And I'm a Lefty!
Did I mention I'm a night owl too?
Just Sayin' LOL

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
20-02-2011, 05:00 PM
(19-02-2011 09:44 PM)Chesstime Wrote:  I too think it's a stupid poll or list. But just for the record; I only weigh 120 pounds!

Ditto.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
21-02-2011, 12:36 AM

(18-02-2011 08:52 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  
(18-02-2011 08:18 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  I was always told I was a smart kid growing up. Yeah, I hit a lot of those indicators. People still tell me I'm smart today. But when I take stock of where I am in life, and take into account how often the people I know listen to me, I sure as hell don't feel overly smart.

That sounds like something I could have written!!

I think that for some of us,(or many, or most, I don't know) with intelligence also comes introspection. I know that for me, that introspection often leads to worry and insecurity. I tend to question and worry over almost everything that I do. I've often wished I had used my intelligence to do better in life, mainly career wise. Smart people are supposed to have great jobs and make lots of money, right? Smart people are supposed to see their path clearly and make smart decisions and go far in life! Not this smart person. I'm doing ok, but I very often wish I had made different schooling and career choices. I never really knew what I "wanted to be when I grew up" and I still don't. I really envy those people who seem to have found that path easily.

This is my inner monologue and may make no sense to anyone else. Wink

I feel the same as you! I don't feel smart (although I don't feel stupid either, cause I can sense stupid people) but I do not feel like I have achieved much in my 27 years of life. I am happily married and now own a home which is a sign of success, but there are lots of stupid people who have done the same. I have a shitty job and just can't seem to connect the dots as to what I should be doing for a living, since I seem to be OK at many things but not GREAT at one.

I'd like to go over the list:

You use recreational drugs: Tried pot couple times as a teen, had a bad experience and stopped. I have been on clonazepam (anti-anxiety drug) for 10+ years now though, but that doesn't count. If anything it is making me stupider.

You're a Liberal If I lived in the US I would say that I am, but in Canada I vote PC (progressive conservative) because the liberal party is a joke. they are very similar though and much more liberal then US conservatism is.

You're a guy who doesn't sleep around True! I've married for 3 years, and together with my wife since we were 18. (I did have a handful of GFs during highschool, so I wasn't a "loser" in that aspect)

You don't believe in God Duh
You're the oldest child Yes, my sister is 3-4 years younger.
Your mom had really bad morning sickness no idea... (don't wanna know)
You were a teenage virgin Nailed one of my gf's at 17 a couple times. Realized I disliked her and felt dirty after I broke up with her. She was ugly.

You come from a smart family Again, I feel like I come from a bunch of "handy men" who were good at many things but not really great at one thing. No docs or lawyers but they could do their income tax and remodel their house.
Your mom didn't eat tuna or other Mercury-containing food

[b]Your mom didn't eat tuna or other Mercury-
Parents are vegetarians (I am not).

You don't smoke cigarettes I smoked in highschool. There were 3-4 separate occasions where I started back up again for a couple of weeks or a month or 2 at the longest and quit again. It's extremely addictive physically, mentally, and socially. I would almost have to disagree with this one, because when I was a smoker I would have great conversations with people who I would normally not talk to. Sometimes I would go outside and talk with the smokers even if I had quit.

You were breast-fed probably, but really I don't wanna know. TMI

Took music lessons I took guitar lessons for 6months when i was 13. I took them again 10 years later for a couple of weeks. Then I got into photography and quit again. I suck at guitar, and while I know I could be average if I practiced I feel that I lack any natural talent (especially the motor skills) that good-to-great guitar players possess. I suppose i just lack the discipline. Photography is something I can grasp better and do at my own pace.

You're not an avid texter I started texting late, I got into it about 2 years ago. Got my first phone with keyboard christmas 2009. I don't have alot of friends, so no, I'm not really an avid texter. If I had lots of friends and was a social butterfly then YES, I would text ALOT because I hate talking on the phone.

lefty no, righty...
You're a night owl As a teen yes, as a late-20s who owns a home and has full time job, ahh... no.

You're tall In grade 5-6 I had my growth spurt to my now slightly below average height of 5'8 1/2. At the time I was taller then most people and it felt good. As most guys surpassed me in height I did in fact start to feel inferior intellectually, strangely enough.

you have BLUE eyes nope, brown.
Quote:"dark-eyed individuals and animals perform better at behaviors requiring speed, sensitivity or reactivity"
I don't feel this way at all. I feel that my brain is slow! Eye color what a load of crap. The only thing I could possibly see being advantageous about blue eyes would be to capture people's attention in social interactions.

You have a big brain WTF? Brains are an organ and should be proportionate to your body size. So all those short little people in Asia with small heads (and therefore small brains) are dumber then big 6+ foot guys who play football, right? (yes I'm being stereotypical)

You're internet savvy Yes, because I was a young teenager when the internet took off and naturally was interested in it. I do know people who are not internet savvy and are not stupid, most are in their 50's....

You're skinnyI have a good build...

I'm sorry for making such a long post. I feel stupid for wasting so much time doing this. FML as the teens say...
Quote this message in a reply