20 Years after the Rwanda Genocide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2014, 05:32 AM
20 Years after the Rwanda Genocide
Quote:Twenty years ago on April 6, the genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda began. At the time, many Western reporters played it down as "ethnic warfare," including Bartholomäus Grill, now a correspondent for SPIEGEL. He looks back with shame.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/worl...62335.html

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2014, 06:10 AM
RE: 20 Years after the Rwanda Genocide
(04-04-2014 05:32 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
Quote:Twenty years ago on April 6, the genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda began. At the time, many Western reporters played it down as "ethnic warfare," including Bartholomäus Grill, now a correspondent for SPIEGEL. He looks back with shame.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/worl...62335.html

It's hard to believe that this sort of thing happened in my lifetime. I have seen 2 movies that are based on the accounts given by survivors. I have no words for what I saw in those movies.

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
04-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Wonder if the Vatican will ever grow a conscience and hand over those priests and bishops that were masterminding the genocide?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
19-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Doubt it very much - the thing that's much more worth noting is that Rwanda is given the circumstances of the genocide - functioning rather well all things considered - of course there are long ways to go - but I'm hopeful from what I read of the place...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
20-07-2014, 03:39 AM
The book, Shake Hands With the Devil by Lt. Gen. Romeo Dallaire, is an horrendous account of the UN peacekeepers who were sent to Rwanda to stop the slaughter. They were inadequately staffed and inadequately armed and 14 of the peacekeepers were killed. Dallaire commanded the peacekeepers and when he returned to Canada, her was depressed and suicidal over his inability to stop the killings.
20-07-2014, 04:56 AM
The article reads like typical German guilt over affairs he had no control over.

As a journalist, Grill did not matter as much as he thinks he did. Fuck him and the other Europeans who cry over this bullshit.
20-07-2014, 05:12 AM
(20-07-2014 04:56 AM)Juv Wrote:  The article reads like typical German guilt over affairs he had no control over.

As a journalist, Grill did not matter as much as he thinks he did. Fuck him and the other Europeans who cry over this bullshit.

WTF dude...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
28-07-2014, 08:38 AM
I have a hard time taking anything in Der Spiegel seriously considering its Euroextremist point of view.
28-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Quote:Why? Why? She repeats the question over and over again. Why? She has no explanation for the acts of barbarism. How could one explain that doctors killed their patients in their hospital beds; that teachers massacred their students; that nuns poured gasoline on parishioners and set them on fire?

"Keep going! The graves aren't full yet!" announcers with the national radio station, Radio Milles Collines, told the unfettered mob. Killing became a civil duty of sorts, and ordinary people, raised to obey authority, complied. They kept on killing, driven by fear, hate and bloodlust, and by greed for the victims' property.

I always have to wonder how it is that human beings never suspect themselves to be their own demon, when they usually set themselves up for the task with such expertise.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post