20 worst sermons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2015, 03:08 PM
RE: 20 worst sermons
(09-09-2015 11:20 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  My 10th-grade English teacher, Mr Smeltzer (a devout Christian who I'm sure wangled this into the syllabus in order to push his own nauseating faith) had us read "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." This sermon, in its disgusting immorality and absolving his god of any responsibility, confirmed my new-found atheism, a confirmation which I was happy to share with "Smelbobs", as we students called him, in my senior year. 'Twas funny to see the bemusement on his face as he tried to understand what had happened.

Fuckin' twatwaffle.

Playing devil's advocate here: that particular sermon is taught in many English classes, regardless of the religious orientation of the teacher. It's well-written, and a fine example of Colonial American literature. Similarly, English literature classes might teach Milton's Paradise Lost or Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress (in fact, they damn well better teach Milton if they want to have any credibility).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2015, 07:47 PM
I can't believe all the people who watch that and then send them money. Worse, those people have the right to vote and most of them vote reactionary Republican. They are the Ted Cruz, Mike Huckabee, Kim Davis fans.
09-09-2015, 08:14 PM
That poor guy recovering from neck surgery! Gasp

The guy looked to be in terrible pain while being "healed". That minister should have been charged with assault. Hope the poor man didn't end up paralyzed.
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
09-09-2015, 09:39 PM
(09-09-2015 08:14 PM)beeglez Wrote:  That poor guy recovering from neck surgery! Gasp

The guy looked to be in terrible pain while being "healed". That minister should have been charged with assault. Hope the poor man didn't end up paralyzed.

Wow.

Withholding medical care from minors is already illegal - why isn't this sort of thing treated as practicing medicine without a license?

If I were that man's physician I'd sue that church for putting MY license at risk, maltreating my patient that way. Because sure as hell after ruining my therapy that patient would claim my work interfered with god's work.

Wow.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
09-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Moral of this thread, if you want to get high on drugs and not go to jail, become a pastor Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
10-09-2015, 06:10 AM
(09-09-2015 09:39 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 08:14 PM)beeglez Wrote:  That poor guy recovering from neck surgery! Gasp

Wow.

Withholding medical care from minors is already illegal

Are you in the U.S.? Sadly, that isn't true in all states. Children can and do die from completely treatable diseases, including cancer and diabetes. This link shows which states have religious exemptions.
http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=3119

If you are interested in learning more, there is a book by Janet Heimlich called "Breaking Their Will. Shedding Light on Religious Child Maltreatment"
It contains an entire section on medical neglect. Among the stories are a teenage boy who died of a urethral blockage treated by prayer. There was also a little girl who died from a large tumor on her skull. It was so large, she was unable to walk upright, and had to lean her head against the wall for support. I can't recall if parents were charged in those cases or not.
10-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Can't have a thread like this without the cigar smoking, bikini babe sporting Gene Scott up in here . . .

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-09-2015, 04:53 PM
What percentage of these asshats do you think know there is no god and do it simply to get rich off of the ignorance of the religious?

"If you want to get rich, start a religion"

- L. Ron Hubbard

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user