2012: The Year In Review

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2012, 02:14 PM
RE: 2012: The Year In Review
(12-12-2012 12:57 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 09:32 AM)bemore Wrote:  The night my ex girlfriend came round my house for the first time, nice meal, bit of boom chicca wah wah, then her falling down my stairs and breaking her ankle and big toe. Then watching her trip out on laughing gas at the hospital.

Fucking made my day.

As a language geek, I'm wondering whether your comment was an example of "fucking" used as an intensifier, with initial "that" omitted--i.e., "That made my day" intensified to "That fucking made my day" and then truncated to "Fucking made my day"--or whether you've used "fucking" as a gerund in subject position, along the lines of "Reading made my day," "Swimming made my day," . . .

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like cufflink's post
12-12-2012, 02:53 PM
(12-12-2012 02:14 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 12:57 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  Fucking made my day.

As a language geek, I'm wondering whether your comment was an example of "fucking" used as an intensifier, with initial "that" omitted--i.e., "That made my day" intensified to "That fucking made my day" and then truncated to "Fucking made my day"--or whether you've used "fucking" as a gerund in subject position, along the lines of "Reading made my day," "Swimming made my day," . . .
An adjective intensifier.

The sentence has an understood "you" as the subject; however, the sentence doesn't necessitate an understood "you". It just necessitates an understood pronoun. "That", "this", "He", could all be used interchangeably and still be correct. According to the context of the sentence, though, it seems to be either an understood "you" or an understood "that".

Using the word as a gerund completely changes the meaning of the imperative nature of her phrase. By itself, the gerund is correct, but when paired with context, which is necessary for sentence comprehension, we can easily see that the sentence has an understood pronoun.

From one language geek to another Smile

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
12-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Jesus fucking Christ. Dodgy

Oh, I also have to give a shout out to the vocalist in my track I provided. Truly talented Greenlandic singer, Leq. I have found quite a few talented vocalists this year as well. Big Grin

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
12-12-2012, 03:16 PM
(12-12-2012 02:53 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 02:14 PM)cufflink Wrote:  As a language geek, I'm wondering whether your comment was an example of "fucking" used as an intensifier, with initial "that" omitted--i.e., "That made my day" intensified to "That fucking made my day" and then truncated to "Fucking made my day"--or whether you've used "fucking" as a gerund in subject position, along the lines of "Reading made my day," "Swimming made my day," . . .
An adjective intensifier.

The sentence has an understood "you" as the subject; however, the sentence doesn't necessitate an understood "you". It just necessitates an understood pronoun. "That", "this", "He", could all be used interchangeably and still be correct. According to the context of the sentence, though, it seems to be either an understood "you" or an understood "that".

Using the word as a gerund completely changes the meaning of the imperative nature of her phrase. By itself, the gerund is correct, but when paired with context, which is necessary for sentence comprehension, we can easily see that the sentence has an understood pronoun.

From one language geek to another Smile

Yeah, I kinda thought she had the first interpretation in mind, not the second. Context usually disambiguates, as you've observed. But you never know. I just wanted to make sure. Wink

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
12-12-2012, 03:27 PM
(12-12-2012 02:14 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 12:57 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  Fucking made my day.

Mmm... I muse euphemistically... been a while since I've had my day made. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
12-12-2012, 03:44 PM
(12-12-2012 12:22 PM)kim Wrote:  I usually don't do "best and worst" things... it all just kind of is, from my perspective. I must admit though, a few things have thrown me for a loop:

Self discovery is always something that seems to smack me right in the ass. I think I've sustained a year long sting.

I finally got bored and tired of sitting on that ass for a whole year! Oh, I haven't gotten up off it much just yet, but I have made considerable preparations and have done a few little things... I've actually notice an accomplishment here and there. Baby steps... or I go back into my comfy, cozy straight jacket.

I'm striving to be a bit more selfish and more of an asshole than ever before. I've actually said "NO" quite a few times and I didn't even mean it but followed through anyway, just to make it clear who's boss. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to find out that is actually an ok thing to do. Hey, I've had issues. Now, I'm the same kim - just the new, improved, asshole version. Apparently it's a common thing, so godfuckingdamnit stop looking at me as if I just decapitated Santa in front of a 4 year old.
I might have some residual paranoia issues to work out. Dodgy

I didn't think I would feel so effected by my first love's recent entry into non-existence. Realization and understanding can come from the most unexpected places. Though it may often appear quite the opposite.... life is beautiful.

Being here... I've found this forum to be a grounding thing. This place has become such a great part of my real world... that is to say; this virtual world has made the real world feel evermore tangible. This place has achieved a balance that seems lacking or at least strained in other very real communities where I'm involved. This place is real. I'm glad to be here.

Best or worst of 2012? Nope, no best or worst... just different, consistently changing bits of life. Maybe that is the best. Shy

But you're so good at being an asshole. I just ASSumed you had had a lot of prior practice. Oh well, job well done, it seems. Big Grin
Hug

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
12-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Award Nomination: Most Elegant Thread Derail, for linguistic discussion of 'fucking'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
12-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Worst of 2012:
  • Death of my mother
  • Death of my brother-in-law
  • Death of my aunt
  • Deaths of 3 childhood friends
  • Still no income from my company

Best of 2012:
  • Discovered my retirement fund is 50% bigger than I thought. (Still not enough to retire on.)
  • Inherited a little money from my mother
  • Still alive

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Probably missing some stuff here but currently what's most on my mind for 2012:
  • showing up at the right time for someone I care about Heart
  • saw Cloud Atlas & it's really left me emotionally impacted
  • Mom & family made it through Sandy OK
  • slowly getting back into my writing....entered a local contest--results in January! (not March like I figured)
  • started making plans to get a job with less chaos and stress
  • took a needed trip overseas to meet a friend for the first (and maybe last) time ever
  • got a tiny bit more open about my atheism
  • showed up here with you crazy-ass people & so enjoy spending web-time with you Smile
  • started blogging...nothing to write home about but I think it helps me some

• had to put one of my cat-kids down Sadcryface2
  • really hard not having anyone to remember Michael with Sadcryface2
  • overseas trip was at times hard--learned some things about myself and my friend that are still affecting me now. Confused
  • noticing my grandma's getting older...she had some health incidents & I can't wait till I'm closer to my family again.

Blush Thanks for asking, Erx.... Heart

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
[+] 1 user Likes Percepticon's post
12-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Best: The birth of my granddaughter.

Worst: Having to buy a second goddam house so ManlyGirl could be close to her.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post