2014 NFL thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2014, 08:59 AM
RE: 2014 NFL thread.
(28-10-2014 07:58 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 06:48 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Yea how come I never hear any protest over Andrew Jackson being on the 20? Pick on a nickname that does not have the meaning now people want to project onto it, but never hear them protest a real monster who was a U.S. President who is on our currency.

And gays, stop calling yourselves gay because that has been used as a pejorative. And atheists, don't call yourselves atheists, because when some Christians and or Muslims hear that they equate us to being evil.

I am done arguing the name, I just cant stand bad use of logic. Change it I do not care.

It's not at the top of my list of things to be offended by, but come on, it is an offensive name. Imagine a team, owned and operated by whites, called the Blackskins. Same thing.

I have seen worse, though. Until 1980, the Pekin, Illinois high school teams (and students in general) were called the Chinks.

http://pchs1971.com/

Click on the "Cues for Chinks and Chinklettes" link over on the left.

Like I said before, I am at the point I do not give a fuck. I just want gays and atheists to remember this every time someone like Pat Robertson uses the words "gays" and "atheists". Does anyone here really want me to believe when he uses those words they are used out of love and acceptance.

Blacks don't demand the Jefferson memorial in DC be taken down, or did everyone here forget he owned slaves?

No sane person should gloss over history. What happened to Natives was a blight on our species and displayed the worst in humanity. I am simply pointing out an error in logic, and also pointing out that times change and words can be used in different contexts.

I am not making a dime off that team so like I said, change the name, I do not care.

Be consistent, go after Jackson on the 20 if you are going to go after a nickname. Demand the removal of the Jefferson Memorial, and Washington Monument, because the founders were slave owners.

And remember this the next time a fundy screams murder because those "damned gays" are destroying America. Remember this the next time some fundy equates atheists to Stalin.

I am not making a dime off that team so like I said, change the name, I do not care. I am strictly talking about the inconsistencies in the argument.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2014, 11:28 PM
(28-10-2014 08:59 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 07:58 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  It's not at the top of my list of things to be offended by, but come on, it is an offensive name. Imagine a team, owned and operated by whites, called the Blackskins. Same thing.

I have seen worse, though. Until 1980, the Pekin, Illinois high school teams (and students in general) were called the Chinks.

http://pchs1971.com/

Click on the "Cues for Chinks and Chinklettes" link over on the left.

Like I said before, I am at the point I do not give a fuck. I just want gays and atheists to remember this every time someone like Pat Robertson uses the words "gays" and "atheists". Does anyone here really want me to believe when he uses those words they are used out of love and acceptance.

Blacks don't demand the Jefferson memorial in DC be taken down, or did everyone here forget he owned slaves?

No sane person should gloss over history. What happened to Natives was a blight on our species and displayed the worst in humanity. I am simply pointing out an error in logic, and also pointing out that times change and words can be used in different contexts.

I am not making a dime off that team so like I said, change the name, I do not care.

Be consistent, go after Jackson on the 20 if you are going to go after a nickname. Demand the removal of the Jefferson Memorial, and Washington Monument, because the founders were slave owners.

And remember this the next time a fundy screams murder because those "damned gays" are destroying America. Remember this the next time some fundy equates atheists to Stalin.

I am not making a dime off that team so like I said, change the name, I do not care. I am strictly talking about the inconsistencies in the argument.

Your problem is thinking these analogies are valid and that there is a logical inconsistency.

Using gay and atheist is on par with using Indian. Not everyone likes them, and for just reasons sometimes, but they're not used as a slur. There isn't a mass movement; there hasn't been over years of history(though some) to demand the Indians or Braves change their name. The indians logo is another situation, far more people disagree with the indians logo vs the indians name.

Words to change over time.. the word Redskins hasn't changed. It doesn't have an alternate meaning because a sports team uses it. The term 49er hasn't changed because a sports team uses it either, nor the term Packer or Steeler. These have the same meanings even if they have a different context.

BTW. Do you really not hear protests to Andrew Jackson on the 20? Because that does come up, just the same way people call out Mount Rushmore for having an oppressive message about manifest destiny overtaking the nation.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
31-10-2014, 09:24 AM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
02-11-2014, 05:30 PM
EAGLES 6 - 2 Thumbsup
02-11-2014, 06:44 PM
(02-11-2014 05:30 PM)TheBear Wrote:  EAGLES 6 - 2 Thumbsup

3 words. Willie Wilson Goode.

#sigh
03-11-2014, 07:46 PM
I might switch over to episode 4 of TWD if these Colts &/or Giants don't start scoring some TD's! Undecided

03-11-2014, 07:56 PM
[Image: go-steelers.gif]

Be true to yourself. Heart
03-11-2014, 08:04 PM
(03-11-2014 07:56 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  [Image: go-steelers.gif]

Blush
[Image: eb0b49a2-d8a6.gif]

03-11-2014, 10:04 PM
(03-11-2014 08:04 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 07:56 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  [Image: go-steelers.gif]

Blush

Because I like you, I won't say anyyyyything negative. Angel Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
03-11-2014, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 10:28 PM by TheGulegon.)
(03-11-2014 10:04 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 08:04 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Blush

Because I like you, I won't say anyyyyything negative. Angel Big Grin

What could possibly be negative about that pretty picture? Angel
Laugh out load Tongue

[edit] Hey, I found one, too Big Grin
[Image: GoChiefsBlk.gif]