2014 NFL thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2015, 12:41 PM
RE: 2014 NFL thread.
Yeah, that top picture was me when the Packers got the interception with 5 minutes left in the game. There's no way they can blow this now. Lol. It's hard to believe how absolutely everything went wrong after that.

On the other hand, the Packers only had that lead because absolutely everything went wrong for the Seahawks in the first quarter.

All of which brings to mind another old saying from chess: the game is won by the player who makes the next-to-last mistake.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Sooo...whatcha think about this ball deflation scandal?

here's my two cents

1. were they knowingly/intentionally doing it? Or was it accidental? (malfunction of meter, idiot filling the balls)
2. were both teams using the same balls?
3. I would have thought it was part of the pre-game check the refs should be doing, no?

if it was done knowingly/intentionally for a hope of an advantage they should make them forfeit that win.

If the win isnt removed, the cheating will never stop and will spread to other teams. a $25k fine is nothing to a team who pays single players millions. Taking a super bowl away and the message will be loud and clear.

goodell needs to be a linebacker and hit them hard. I have heard people on facebook talking about boycotting watching it.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
22-01-2015, 09:05 AM
(22-01-2015 07:51 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Sooo...whatcha think about this ball deflation scandal?

here's my two cents

1. were they knowingly/intentionally doing it? Or was it accidental? (malfunction of meter, idiot filling the balls)
3. I would have thought it was part of the pre-game check the refs should be doing, no?

if it was done knowingly/intentionally for a hope of an advantage they should make them forfeit that win.

If the win isnt removed, the cheating will never stop and will spread to other teams. a $25k fine is nothing to a team who pays single players millions. Taking a super bowl away and the message will be loud and clear.

goodell needs to be a linebacker and hit them hard. I have heard people on facebook talking about boycotting watching it.

I don't think Goodell has that authority. The rule is there, the penalty is defined.

If it were a critical issue, the procedures would be tighter, the penalties harsher.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-01-2015, 09:44 AM
(22-01-2015 07:51 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Sooo...whatcha think about this ball deflation scandal?

Much ado about nothing.

(22-01-2015 07:51 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  here's my two cents

That's three. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-01-2015, 11:39 AM

here's my two cents

This reminds me of the time when a friend of mine was coaching a municipal softball team, and they lost a game 20-3 or something like that. He went down to the Recreation Department and complained about the umpire making bad calls -- which seemed ridiculous to me. You might lose 3-2 because of bad calls, but when you lose 20-3, sorry, that's not the umpire's fault.

Likewise, when you lose a football game 45-7, it's not because the balls were slightly deflated. If they did this intentionally, they should be penalized for it, but it shouldn't cost the game, because it wouldn't have changed the game. The Patriots stomped on the Colts, period.

However, I don't know who to cheer for in the Super Bowl. The Patriots are (probably) cheaters, and the Seahawks' quarterback thinks that God helped them win the NFC championship game. A pox on both of them.
22-01-2015, 02:37 PM
(22-01-2015 11:39 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

here's my two cents

This reminds me of the time when a friend of mine was coaching a municipal softball team, and they lost a game 20-3 or something like that. He went down to the Recreation Department and complained about the umpire making bad calls -- which seemed ridiculous to me. You might lose 3-2 because of bad calls, but when you lose 20-3, sorry, that's not the umpire's fault.

Likewise, when you lose a football game 45-7, it's not because the balls were slightly deflated. If they did this intentionally, they should be penalized for it, but it shouldn't cost the game, because it wouldn't have changed the game. The Patriots stomped on the Colts, period.

However, I don't know who to cheer for in the Super Bowl. The Patriots are (probably) cheaters, and the Seahawks' quarterback thinks that God helped them win the NFC championship game. A pox on both of them.

Well that was why I asked question #2. Was the other team using the same balls? If so, then while they may have cheated, it probably didnt change the outcome, like you said above. BUT, if those balls were only used when the Patriots had their downs....there might be more to it. maybe not, but maybe? But if you know your pass usually goes 50 yards, and a ball with less air only goes 45 yards, yes, that can change a game quickly. I don't know how big of a difference this makes. I am sure someone will study it.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
22-01-2015, 03:08 PM
(22-01-2015 02:37 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 11:39 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  This reminds me of the time when a friend of mine was coaching a municipal softball team, and they lost a game 20-3 or something like that. He went down to the Recreation Department and complained about the umpire making bad calls -- which seemed ridiculous to me. You might lose 3-2 because of bad calls, but when you lose 20-3, sorry, that's not the umpire's fault.

Well that was why I asked question #2. Was the other team using the same balls? If so, then while they may have cheated, it probably didnt change the outcome, like you said above. BUT, if those balls were only used when the Patriots had their downs....there might be more to it. maybe not, but maybe? But if you know your pass usually goes 50 yards, and a ball with less air only goes 45 yards, yes, that can change a game quickly. I don't know how big of a difference this makes. I am sure someone will study it.

it was supposedly the majority of the balls used for the game and those are handed out by the officials so even if the balls were under inflated (as it appears they were) no clear advantage would be held.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
22-01-2015, 03:31 PM
I don't see how since the reffs have to place the ball on the line between plays how that could go unnoticed. I am sure temp affects the ball as it does air anyway. Don't know what to make of this but it sounds maybe if anything a change in process. Not sure anything deliberate went on.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
22-01-2015, 03:53 PM
(22-01-2015 03:31 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  I don't see how since the reffs have to place the ball on the line between plays how that could go unnoticed. I am sure temp affects the ball as it does air anyway. Don't know what to make of this but it sounds maybe if anything a change in process. Not sure anything deliberate went on.

What I don't get is why the teams are in charge of the balls in the first place. Shouldn't the NFL supply them to keep shit like this from happening? Have the game balls flown in with the refs (they can keep them with their seeing eye dogs until game time) and distributed to the teams as needed for warm-ups and in game.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
22-01-2015, 04:19 PM
(22-01-2015 03:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 03:31 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  I don't see how since the reffs have to place the ball on the line between plays how that could go unnoticed. I am sure temp affects the ball as it does air anyway. Don't know what to make of this but it sounds maybe if anything a change in process. Not sure anything deliberate went on.

What I don't get is why the teams are in charge of the balls in the first place. Shouldn't the NFL supply them to keep shit like this from happening? Have the game balls flown in with the refs (they can keep them with their seeing eye dogs until game time) and distributed to the teams as needed for warm-ups and in game.

Yea seems a bit absurd, it would be like the field goal kicker being allowed to adjust the posts . Used to be the home team provided all the balls for a game. But I don't think either team should provide them, and fuck breaking them in. Play with everyone a new one. Part of any sport is the ability to adjust so regardless of personal taste, if the rules are to be equal, it should not matter, make all the equipment the same, just like the lines on the field.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37