2014 NFL thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2015, 04:43 PM
RE: 2014 NFL thread.
Don't care about deflategate - I'm a Pack fan - it's all still too painful...Sad

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2015, 09:03 PM
(22-01-2015 03:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 02:37 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Well that was why I asked question #2. Was the other team using the same balls? If so, then while they may have cheated, it probably didnt change the outcome, like you said above. BUT, if those balls were only used when the Patriots had their downs....there might be more to it. maybe not, but maybe? But if you know your pass usually goes 50 yards, and a ball with less air only goes 45 yards, yes, that can change a game quickly. I don't know how big of a difference this makes. I am sure someone will study it.

it was supposedly the majority of the balls used for the game and those are handed out by the officials so even if the balls were under inflated (as it appears they were) no clear advantage would be held.

It is likely that the underinflation was due to a 30F drop in temperature from when they were measured and when they were used. I'm guessing if they measured the Colts balls they'd find the same thing. I hope to fuck they were smart enough to measure the Colts balls.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-01-2015, 08:52 AM
(22-01-2015 02:37 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 11:39 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  This reminds me of the time when a friend of mine was coaching a municipal softball team, and they lost a game 20-3 or something like that. He went down to the Recreation Department and complained about the umpire making bad calls -- which seemed ridiculous to me. You might lose 3-2 because of bad calls, but when you lose 20-3, sorry, that's not the umpire's fault.

Likewise, when you lose a football game 45-7, it's not because the balls were slightly deflated. If they did this intentionally, they should be penalized for it, but it shouldn't cost the game, because it wouldn't have changed the game. The Patriots stomped on the Colts, period.

However, I don't know who to cheer for in the Super Bowl. The Patriots are (probably) cheaters, and the Seahawks' quarterback thinks that God helped them win the NFC championship game. A pox on both of them.

Well that was why I asked question #2. Was the other team using the same balls? If so, then while they may have cheated, it probably didnt change the outcome, like you said above. BUT, if those balls were only used when the Patriots had their downs....there might be more to it. maybe not, but maybe? But if you know your pass usually goes 50 yards, and a ball with less air only goes 45 yards, yes, that can change a game quickly. I don't know how big of a difference this makes. I am sure someone will study it.

From what I read, each team supplies the balls for its own offense, and those balls are checked by the refs immediately before the game. If the Patriots somehow managed to get around this, it would have been only the balls used by their own offense. They would have had no access to the balls used by the Colts' offense. So if deflated balls are an advantage, it would have been to the Patriots' benefit.

Supposedly, the deflated balls are easier to throw and catch, but this is a matter of personal preference -- Packers' QB Aaron Rodgers has said he prefers a harder ball. In any case, I can't see this making a 38-point difference. Andrew Luck would have been using the same balls he always uses, and he simply had a bad day by his standards. You won't win too many games scoring 7 points, no matter what the other team is doing.
25-01-2015, 06:30 AM
[Image: 850Hrhf.jpg]

Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user