2017 NFL football season

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2017, 07:28 PM
2017 NFL football season
I'm a bandwagon fan. I don't invest time or attention unless I think "my" team is good. That said, I think my team might be good this year. Texans- stout defense, hopefully competent offense. Maybe have caught lighting in a bottle with new young quarterback (some guy).

Football's fun. Once a week, so each game is kind of a drama and each win and loss is a big deal. Anyway, done rambling. Whoever your team is, fuck you, they suck.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2017, 10:10 AM
RE: 2017 NFL football season
(02-09-2017 07:28 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I'm a bandwagon fan. I don't invest time or attention unless I think "my" team is good. That said, I think my team might be good this year. Texans- stout defense, hopefully competent offense. Maybe have caught lighting in a bottle with new young quarterback (some guy).

Football's fun. Once a week, so each game is kind of a drama and each win and loss is a big deal. Anyway, done rambling. Whoever your team is, fuck you, they suck.

No bandwagon here (although I've been sort of a Yankees fan in baseball since 1965 or so, when I first got interested in baseball; they were the best team at the time, but not for long -- they started sucking almost as soon as I started liking them, but like the man-turned-newt in Monty Python, they "got better").

Anyway, in football, I've been a Green Bay Packers fan since I was old enough to know who they were -- through the 60s when they were the best team in the NFL, then the 70s and 80s when they were mediocre at best, and then the 90s and after, when they've been perennial playoff contenders but rarely go "all the way". This year, they have a decent chance to go all the way, but whatever they do, I will remain a fan.

ETA: On the other hand, I'm not a fanatic about it. If the Packers go 0-16, it wouldn't change my life in any significant way. Football is entertainment -- more entertaining when my team wins, but it's not a matter of life or death.
08-09-2017, 12:02 PM
It's been a couple seasons since I payed attention, but the Chiefs defeated The Pats, last night, in Foxborough, 42-27, so I prolly catch a few games this season. Blush

08-09-2017, 12:56 PM
(08-09-2017 12:02 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  It's been a couple seasons since I payed attention, but the Chiefs defeated The Pats, last night, in Foxborough, 42-27, so I prolly catch a few games this season. Blush

I don't have strong feelings about either team, although I've liked Alex Smith ever since he was with the 49ers, so it's always nice to see him do well.

Back in February, I was impressed by the magnitude of the Patriots' comeback in the Super Bowl (along with a little bit of "That's what you get for embarrassing my Packers" toward the Falcons), and also having a bit of a laugh at all the Patriot-haters and Brady-haters wailing and gnashing their teeth.

Today I'm having a bit of a laugh at all the Patriot fans who expected their team to go 19-0. I guess I just like to laugh at those who take their football too seriously.
08-09-2017, 05:38 PM
(08-09-2017 12:02 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  It's been a couple seasons since I payed attention, but the Chiefs defeated The Pats, last night, in Foxborough, 42-27, so I prolly catch a few games this season. Blush

Good game...then today I heard the Patriots have won like three superbowls after losing their first game.
08-09-2017, 05:42 PM
(08-09-2017 10:10 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  No bandwagon here (although I've been sort of a Yankees fan in baseball since 1965 or so, when I first got interested in baseball; they were the best team at the time, but not for long -- they started sucking almost as soon as I started liking them, but like the man-turned-newt in Monty Python, they "got better").

Anyway, in football, I've been a Green Bay Packers fan since I was old enough to know who they were -- through the 60s when they were the best team in the NFL, then the 70s and 80s when they were mediocre at best, and then the 90s and after, when they've been perennial playoff contenders but rarely go "all the way". This year, they have a decent chance to go all the way, but whatever they do, I will remain a fan.

ETA: On the other hand, I'm not a fanatic about it. If the Packers go 0-16, it wouldn't change my life in any significant way. Football is entertainment -- more entertaining when my team wins, but it's not a matter of life or death.

I tend to have "back up" teams to root for when my teams inevitably choke and die. Packers are one of those backups, I always liked the cool history though as you described there was that long stretch of not-quite-glory. I hope the Packers come out of the NFC.
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
08-09-2017, 05:44 PM
(08-09-2017 12:56 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Back in February, I was impressed by the magnitude of the Patriots' comeback in the Super Bowl (along with a little bit of "That's what you get for embarrassing my Packers" toward the Falcons), and also having a bit of a laugh at all the Patriot-haters and Brady-haters wailing and gnashing their teeth.

Today I'm having a bit of a laugh at all the Patriot fans who expected their team to go 19-0. I guess I just like to laugh at those who take their football too seriously.

It was a crazy impressive come back. If I don't have a rooting interest I tend to root for the underdog or the team who hasn't ever won. I hate the Pats but when they started coming back it was so improbable I was like "come on you gotta do this!"
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
08-09-2017, 05:54 PM
I was a big Colts/Manning fan. My interest in football has decreased each year since that partnership ended. I no longer have a favorite team...I do, however, still have an unhealthy level of dislike for the Patriots. I pull for whoever is playing them. Second least favorite team - the Cowboys...but I may be willing to give Dak a chance...I really didn't care for Romo.

I do like to watch a good game...NFL or college. A one-sided game bores me. One thing I like about college ball is that you are more likely to see the QB do something other than throw the ball...I like to watch a QB who can run with the ball or throw a decent pass. I understand that pro teams want to protect the QB but it makes the game too predictable.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
08-09-2017, 09:11 PM
I am a straight Homer, Balt'mo Ravens fan hun. Had a jersey before the team even played a game in Balt'mo . Watched both Super Bowl wins and all the bad seasons between. Since I moved to Texas not had much option to watch games but I do try and keep up with them.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
10-09-2017, 12:55 AM
I grew up in Patriots territory. I moved to Seattle and tried to like the Seahawks but the fans kind of annoyed me. It was such a freaking cult of blue and green year round and such a group think that you were evil if you didn't like the Hawks. If the Patriots won a game by 2 touchdowns the Pats fans roasted the Patriots for not winning by 3. If the Seahawks lost then the Hawks fans smeared their bodies in blue and green and had orgies in the streets to praise their team because...winning wasn't everything. I hated Sherman's big mouth and his bragging that he wasn't going to play his best if he had to play 2 games too soon. That was so different from the Patriots NO DAYS OFF slogan. I hated when Sherman claimed that the Pats only won because they didn't have to face good teams.

Well, it is a new year and the Patriots are not doing to so good and the Seahawks are a force from the start. There is no way that I can slam the Seahawks at this point. I really like Pete Carrol and the way that he coaches. (The polar opposite of the Patriots) I hope that the fan worship doesn't go to the Seahawks head and that they play hard and 100 percent all season long. You can really, really see the difference between the east and west coast by reading the fan comments on the Patriot Facebook page and the Seahawks Facebook page.

I would like to support the Seahawks and really have grown to like to see ENTIRE FAMILIES wearing Seahawks gear (including babies, toddlers and pets!)

Informed by science. Inspired by art. Motivated by compassion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user