2017 NFL football season

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2017, 10:16 AM
RE: 2017 NFL football season
(30-10-2017 09:37 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't comment much on sports but my husband was watching the Chicago Bears game yesterday. I happened to walk through the room and glance at the tv just when some guy's leg snapped in half. Ewww. Why did I take that moment to walk through the room? Why? Sadcryface

Not for the squeemish!

http://nypost.com/2017/10/29/bears-tight...ome-scene/

I wonder if that guy will ever be able to play football again.

I didn't see that, but I read about it. That kind of injury is disturbing to see, but personally, I would rather be injured in that way than have repeated concussions with resulting lifelong problems, like many players do. It's a brutal game, and becoming more so as players get bigger and faster and stronger.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
30-10-2017, 06:27 PM
(30-10-2017 10:16 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(30-10-2017 09:37 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't comment much on sports but my husband was watching the Chicago Bears game yesterday. I happened to walk through the room and glance at the tv just when some guy's leg snapped in half. Ewww. Why did I take that moment to walk through the room? Why? Sadcryface

Not for the squeemish!

http://nypost.com/2017/10/29/bears-tight...ome-scene/

I wonder if that guy will ever be able to play football again.

I didn't see that, but I read about it. That kind of injury is disturbing to see, but personally, I would rather be injured in that way than have repeated concussions with resulting lifelong problems, like many players do. It's a brutal game, and becoming more so as players get bigger and faster and stronger.

Yeah heard about it but I'll pass on watching. Seems to be happening more often, not to that degree but ridiculous ankle breaks, etc. Seems like basic physics. Dudes getting heavier and faster, ergo more violent collisions. I love watching football so I guess if I lived 2000 years ago I would have loved gladiator combat.

30-10-2017, 06:33 PM
(30-10-2017 08:29 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That was a hell of a baseball game though. Might've been the best world series game I've ever seen.

I'm from Houston and have been a "lifelong Astros fan." I put that in quotes because...when "we" were down by three in the first inning I was like "fuck this" and went to bed. In my defense I had shot my sports load on the earlier Texans game. Too many drinks in to hang in for a twelve hour baseball game. (#goastros!!!)

(Commentators have been talking about how the baseballs used in the playoffs are somehow rigged in favor of the batters by making them slicker...pitchers can't use their full arsenal of pitches. Whatever, at least both teams have to deal with it.)

30-10-2017, 06:48 PM
(30-10-2017 06:33 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  (Commentators have been talking about how the baseballs used in the playoffs are somehow rigged in favor of the batters by making them slicker...pitchers can't use their full arsenal of pitches. Whatever, at least both teams have to deal with it.)

The sliders don't appear to sliding. I watched carefully and they weren't. Slider experts had to go to backups like changeup and curveball because if you just throw fastballs to these guys they're gonna, well hit it out of the park. And once the hitters know they don't have to worry about the slider, you get 5 hour 13-12 games with 7 homers.

#sigh
30-10-2017, 06:59 PM
(30-10-2017 06:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-10-2017 06:33 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  (Commentators have been talking about how the baseballs used in the playoffs are somehow rigged in favor of the batters by making them slicker...pitchers can't use their full arsenal of pitches. Whatever, at least both teams have to deal with it.)

The sliders don't appear to sliding. I watched carefully and they weren't. Slider experts had to go to backups like changeup and curveball because if you just throw fastballs to these guys they're gonna, well hit it out of the park. And once the hitters know they don't have to worry about the slider, you get 5 hour 13-12 games with 7 homers.

Yeah that's what I was hearing, I don't know a slider from a cannonball but the question now is which team is most hurt by it. Astros closer can't be used because he is mainly a slider pitcher, and apparently it's why Astros made quick work of Yu Darvish the other night. Actually the question is why is this happening, why change the equipment of a sport during its championship round? I don't know if 500 years ago the Aztecs would have put up with this shit. They would have been like, hey, I'm trying to play a decent game of ullamaliztli here, stop trying to juice the fucking ball.

05-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Cowboys done gifted my Chiefs some smallpox blankets! Hobo

05-11-2017, 06:36 PM
(05-11-2017 06:13 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Cowboys done gifted my Chiefs some smallpox blankets! Hobo

The Chiefs are still awesome but they now seem human.

05-11-2017, 06:36 PM
(05-11-2017 06:36 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 06:13 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Cowboys done gifted my Chiefs some smallpox blankets! Hobo

The Chiefs are still awesome but they now seem human. Heap more football to be played...

05-11-2017, 06:38 PM
(05-11-2017 06:36 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 06:36 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  The Chiefs are still awesome but they now seem human. Heap more football to be played...

Note to self. Stop trying to edit something after you post it. Not worth the trouble.

13-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Damn. I was just about to sing the Chief's praises for immediately ending Roy Miller's employment with them, over him beating his wife, but it looks like Tyreek Hill choked his pregnant girlfriend in 2014. Dodgy He plead guilty to domestic assault and battery by strangulation, has paid some serious fines, endures some rather serious legal restrictions, and committed the act before the Chiefs drafted him (I think) , but the moral high ground I thought they'd taken just turned into a sink hole. Facepalm

I'm all about forgiveness, but there are limits, ya know? He could work off his 'debt' to his wife, and society, at the local 7-11! Not making hundreds of thousands of dollars playing a kid's game, after putting his own kid in jeopardy by smacking his pregnant girlfriend! Angry