22 children die in bus crash. Belgium in shock!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2012, 04:07 PM
RE: 22 children die in bus crash. Belgium in shock!
(15-03-2012 04:04 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  No
I thought so
(15-03-2012 04:04 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  but if I did, then I still wouldn't care that some other kids died.
Yes you would...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2012, 04:11 PM
(15-03-2012 04:07 PM)Observer Wrote:  
I thought so
(15-03-2012 04:04 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  but if I did, then I still wouldn't care that some other kids died.
Yes you would...
Did you not read anything else I wrote? The # of kids I have is completely irrelevant. Heck some people beat, abuse, and even kill their own kids.

You have been trained by society to pretend you care.
That is all there is to it.
15-03-2012, 04:13 PM
(15-03-2012 04:11 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
I thought so
Yes you would...
Did you not read anything else I wrote? The # of kids I have is completely irrelevant. Heck some people beat, abuse, and even kill their own kids.

What makes you think I don't care about other kids too?
Every day, children are dying horrible deaths and there is nothing I can do about it...

Ive been re-reading your response and here's a list of your fallacies

*No experience on the general matter (no kids)
*no experience on the specific matter (no insight in this specific situation)
*over generalisation and hasty conclusion (filling in for someone else's emotions)

So...
Try again, but this time with arguments, not some fake ass "though guy" pose.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
15-03-2012, 04:54 PM
(15-03-2012 04:13 PM)Observer Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 04:11 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
I thought so
Yes you would...

What makes you think I don't care about other kids too?
Every day, children are dying horrible deaths and there is nothing I can do about it...
Exactly, which is why I don't care. There is nothing I can do anyways, so why even bother wasting your time thinking about it. I can't even help the ones dying in any meaningful way, never mind ones that are already dead.

If you cared every time someone you didn't know died, then you would spend your entire life in a pool of your own tears.

Though, maybe our definition of care is slightly different. If we are talking about care as in a close friend passed away, then no I don't care in that way. If we are talking about a infinitesimally small feeling of sadness for the families of these kids, then sure I care.
15-03-2012, 05:38 PM
(15-03-2012 04:54 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Exactly, which is why I don't care. There is nothing I can do anyways, so why even bother wasting your time thinking about it. I can't even help the ones dying in any meaningful way, never mind ones that are already dead.
That's called apathy and its the poison of our time.
I sure hope for you someone will care when it's your call.

Quote:If you cared every time someone you didn't know died, then you would spend your entire life in a pool of your own tears.
True. Sometimes I need to close myself of from certain events. It's a form of self protection. This certain event leaked in.

Quote:Though, maybe our definition of care is slightly different. If we are talking about care as in a close friend passed away, then no I don't care in that way. If we are talking about a infinitesimally small feeling of sadness for the families of these kids, then sure I care.

Caring less for someone you don't know is still care. If they'd be at my doorstep tomorrow, my sadness would indeed take on a different form.
But I don't see why this would justify having no care at all. Again, that position is called apathy.

Is apathy your form of self protection?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
15-03-2012, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2012 07:49 PM by craniumonempty.)
Yes you would...

Since we are pointing out fallacies, I hate to say it, but assuming that mysticjbyrd will care more for people's children that aren't connected in any way when getting kids is probably a fallacy as well. Granted, when you can understand the other person's connection to their kids, then the empathy toward them is greater, but that may not change this if no empathy is shown in the first place toward unknown strangers.

Both of you have a point, but outside of that, I am curious about your reply on this thread, mysticjbyrd. Do you see public empathy toward strangers as a flaw of society? Why or why not?

I, for one, do feel sad for the parents. So I probably would feel much stronger about it if I had kids. I even understand that I only feel sad about them because it was on the news. Doesn't change the fact that I do.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
15-03-2012, 11:48 PM
(15-03-2012 07:41 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  Since we are pointing out fallacies, I hate to say it, but assuming that mysticjbyrd will care more for people's children that aren't connected in any way when getting kids is probably a fallacy as well. Granted, when you can understand the other person's connection to their kids, then the empathy toward them is greater, but that may not change this if no empathy is shown in the first place toward unknown strangers.
Could be true.
I was just drawing a parallel with my own experience where I was much less caring about my fellow human before I became a parent. I found its a life changing experience on many levels.

Then again, If you are really apathetic from the start, you'll probably not going to change all that much.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
16-03-2012, 03:29 AM
Side note: I noticed in the sound bite from the Belgian government rep. he said that their thoughts and compassion are with the families of these children. He didn't mention prayers at all.

Hurrah!... Just a little one.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
16-03-2012, 08:07 AM
(16-03-2012 03:29 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  Side note: I noticed in the sound bite from the Belgian government rep. he said that their thoughts and compassion are with the families of these children. He didn't mention prayers at all.

Hurrah!... Just a little one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium#Religion
Quote:According to the Eurobarometer Poll in 2005, 43% of Belgian citizens responded that "they believe there is a God", whereas 29% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force" and 27% that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, God, or life force"

Plus they are a secular country (apparently more so then in the States). Mentioning prayers might be viewed as rude there... I don't know though. Have to talk to someone from there.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
16-03-2012, 09:44 AM
(16-03-2012 08:07 AM)craniumonempty Wrote:  Have to talk to someone from there.
Try me! Smile

It goes even further...
Cardinal Leonard head of the Belgian church and general religious asshat came personally to greet the victims and their families and even HE was afraid to mention God or prayers.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist