25 Years Ago Today 1st Website Went Online

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2015, 12:23 PM
RE: 25 Years Ago Today 1st Website Went Online
Here's my first one. Otrona Attache c. 1983

[Image: otrona_attache_1s_1.jpg]

64K RAM, CP/M and MS-DOS all in one package for the low low price of $3,995. sweeeet.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-12-2015, 01:49 PM
I didn't get a PC of my own until about '93. It had a 5MHz clock rate and an 8086 processor, monochrome monitor. At work we had much more powerful PCs, (Wang 280) which some of us could connect to a VAX780 to do number crunching, or to an array processor for more number crunching. Those mainframes were replaced by high-end PCs in the early 2000s.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
22-12-2015, 02:34 PM
And here I am young enough to never remember not having a computer.
(let alone an internet connection...)

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
22-12-2015, 03:00 PM
(22-12-2015 02:34 PM)cjlr Wrote:  And here I am young enough to never remember not having a computer.

I remember my family getting a power mac in 1995, but didn't get internet until we got a laptop that ran windows in '98 or '99. Until then, I used the library's internet.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
22-12-2015, 03:15 PM

and that's evidently a fairly high-speed connection...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
22-12-2015, 04:09 PM
In college I was using an electric typewriter to write my papers and playing games with a Commodore 64 and an old B&W portable TV. By grad school I was using a Tandy 1000 to write my papers. By the time I was in my second grad school I was using dial-up modem to submit papers to my professor...a task that seemed like it took an hour to do!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
22-12-2015, 04:36 PM
(22-12-2015 03:00 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(22-12-2015 02:34 PM)cjlr Wrote:  And here I am young enough to never remember not having a computer.

I remember my family getting a power mac in 1995, but didn't get internet until we got a laptop that ran windows in '98 or '99. Until then, I used the library's internet.

Yabut, can you use a slide rule? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-12-2015, 05:06 PM
(22-12-2015 04:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  In college I was using an electric typewriter to write my papers and playing games with a Commodore 64 and an old B&W portable TV. By grad school I was using a Tandy 1000 to write my papers. By the time I was in my second grad school I was using dial-up modem to submit papers to my professor...a task that seemed like it took an hour to do!

I remember my Tandy 1000 cost $1000 which I thought was a huge amount. lol

The most I ever spent on a computer was $2100 and that included the monitor, keyboard, mouse and printer/scanner/copier.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
22-12-2015, 05:19 PM
(22-12-2015 04:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-12-2015 03:00 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I remember my family getting a power mac in 1995, but didn't get internet until we got a laptop that ran windows in '98 or '99. Until then, I used the library's internet.

Yabut, can you use a slide rule? Consider

There's an app for that old man.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-12-2015, 05:42 PM
The first computer I ever used was in the early 80s. I was in the Army - don't even recall what it was called but it had one purpose and that was to send messages to other Army computers. That was it.

Though I can't remember what it was called I do remember that every message had to start with VZCZCZ...I think the requirement for getting into that particular job was knowing how to type.

In the early 90s dad gave the kids and me a Commodore 64. We played some games on it and that was about it.

A couple years later I worked at a company that used Lotus and I used that for a while. The next job introduced me to more computer work and then I decided it was time to get a PC for home. I took several classes at the local community college so I would have some of the skills I needed. Ledger cards were no longer cutting it for bookkeeping work. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post