264 Commandments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2016, 07:45 PM
RE: 264 Commandments
(18-05-2016 07:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 07:02 PM)Alla Wrote:  But still there are so many commandments that I do not obey perfectly. Probably, will never do.

GirlyMan's 3 Commandments:
1) don't be a dick
2) unless you have to
3) see commandment 1)
4) don't be a dick

I'm pretty sure that is the essence of The Word.

i subscribe to this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
18-05-2016, 08:22 PM
600+ rules but not a word about changing oil every 5000 miles. Or flossing. Or how to deal with a well meaning cherished friend who tries to help you by defrosting your freezer with a pocket knife as a favor while you're out getting groceries. Who can't even begin to afford to procure a replacement freezer and the only insurance policy active is for your car 50,000 miles into its last oil change. The problem with religious lists of rules is they have zero application to real life.
18-05-2016, 09:43 PM
(18-05-2016 07:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 07:02 PM)Alla Wrote:  But still there are so many commandments that I do not obey perfectly. Probably, will never do.

GirlyMan's 3 Commandments:
1) don't be a dick
2) unless you have to
3) see commandment 1)
4) don't be a dick

I guess it is if "don't be a dick" means what I think it means.
so, what does it mean TO YOU, GirlyMan, not to be a dick?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
18-05-2016, 09:53 PM
(18-05-2016 07:06 PM)Alla Wrote:  
RobbyPants Wrote:If God knows we can't meet his impossible standards and has to jump through some incredibly bizarre hoops to atone people... of what use are the impossible standards?
There is more room for improvement. The higher the bar the more potential you can discover in yourself.
The bar has to be as high as possible, not as low as possible.
Jesus was willing to atone for us so God could provide for us lots of opportunities to grow.

This does not address why there was need for substitute atonement in the first place. Why did god have to send us jesus so we could kill him, so he could finally be able to forgive people for largely victimless crimes? This, with the caveat that this only happens if you love him or else you are grilled for eternity. You and I can forgive with no conditions and if the god of the bible is correct, I can do something it can't. I do not require blood to forgive.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-05-2016, 09:59 PM
(18-05-2016 08:22 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  600+ rules but not a word about changing oil every 5000 miles. Or flossing. Or how to deal with a well meaning cherished friend who tries to help you by defrosting your freezer with a pocket knife as a favor while you're out getting groceries. Who can't even begin to afford to procure a replacement freezer and the only insurance policy active is for your car 50,000 miles into its last oil change. The problem with religious lists of rules is they have zero application to real life.

i think theres something in there about not boiling a goat in its mothers milk. i follow that one every day. god must be so proud of me.
18-05-2016, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2016 10:16 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-05-2016 09:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 07:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  GirlyMan's 3 Commandments:
1) don't be a dick
2) unless you have to
3) see commandment 1)
4) don't be a dick

I guess it is if "don't be a dick" means what I think it means.

The Dude abides by the gold, silver and platinum rules. No religion or faith required.

#sigh
18-05-2016, 10:11 PM
(18-05-2016 09:59 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 08:22 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  600+ rules but not a word about changing oil every 5000 miles. Or flossing. Or how to deal with a well meaning cherished friend who tries to help you by defrosting your freezer with a pocket knife as a favor while you're out getting groceries. Who can't even begin to afford to procure a replacement freezer and the only insurance policy active is for your car 50,000 miles into its last oil change. The problem with religious lists of rules is they have zero application to real life.

i think theres something in there about not boiling a goat in its mothers milk. i follow that one every day. god must be so proud of me.

I burn every chair my wife sits on at that time of the month before I send her to sleep outside for the week as the lawd commanded.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-05-2016, 10:43 PM
(18-05-2016 10:11 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 09:59 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  i think theres something in there about not boiling a goat in its mothers milk. i follow that one every day. god must be so proud of me.

I burn every chair my wife sits on at that time of the month before I send her to sleep outside for the week as the lawd commanded.

dont let your wife sit on chairs. you'll save money that way. she has to obey you according to the lard. play it smart dude.
18-05-2016, 11:10 PM
(17-05-2016 03:18 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 01:09 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I've noticed that Alla's God is very weak and flawed, he's not all powerful, all knowing, all good, etc. and even though I was raised to believe he was all of these things and absolutely perfect it does make sense from her point of view that he's actually pretty human, it just doesn't make me like him any better.

I'm sure the only reason to worship him from that point of view is because he's our "father", I guess he made us in the spirit world, we got bodies, we get tested to become a god like him, etc. He still makes the rules, we don't have much free will since this whole game was set up way before were even born, we're basically being held hostage on this planet.

That's like worshiping your parents because they made you, it's just weird. It's also a lot like worshiping a dictator, he's in charge, we owe him, we should do what he says, if not we will suffer the consequences...or get a second chance to go through re-education after death and then accept him. If he's not all powerful and perfect, he's not worth worshiping, he's just a powerful spirit being with human tendencies and a pre-occupation with what we do while naked.

Anything that wants or requires worship isn't worth worshiping.

The bible needs a god concept that says "Get off your knees, don't worship me or anything else! There will be no afterlife of rewards or punishment, I can't control what happens to your consciousness after you die."

But then if this god said that, why bother with the rest?

One thing that is certain is that there's no such thing as a perfect god in all ways. If there was such thing as that we wouldn't be in this matrix world.
18-05-2016, 11:14 PM
(18-05-2016 09:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 09:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  I guess it is if "don't be a dick" means what I think it means.

The Dude abides by the gold, silver and platinum rules. No religion or faith required.

I thought the first commandment was don't be a sucker. Hahahahaha