264 Commandments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 09:18 AM
RE: 264 Commandments
(19-05-2016 09:07 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 08:26 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Bullshit, you're cherry-picking and taking out parts that make no sense.

All while dismissing the absurd to accept the absurd.

What exactly would be the important thing we are to understand and remember by not boiling a baby goat in it's mother's milk?

I still have to respond to TOC, but I just wanted to interject here real quick.
The word in Hebrew for milk is the same as the word for fat. If context is not given, you have to already know what it means when it’s written. So the Talmud says that Moses asked G-d what the word meant. Fat or milk? G-d replies, “It’s which ever you want it to be.”

So there we have an understanding that this particular dietary law is probably designed to keep Jewish people together; not socializing, dining, intermingling… and then intermarrying with the idolatrous pagans around them.

We have a similar rule for wine. It’s for keeping separate and not integrating.

It's still nonsensical and arcane to even put such things in a book. The most sense I can make out of it is that the priests put these arcane rituals in there to purposely make a cultural divide between Jews and other groups of people.

Which makes more sense than asserting that a cosmic being was concerned about or had some grand purpose in regards to such silly minutiae.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2016, 09:20 AM
(19-05-2016 09:18 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 09:07 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I still have to respond to TOC, but I just wanted to interject here real quick.
The word in Hebrew for milk is the same as the word for fat. If context is not given, you have to already know what it means when it’s written. So the Talmud says that Moses asked G-d what the word meant. Fat or milk? G-d replies, “It’s which ever you want it to be.”

So there we have an understanding that this particular dietary law is probably designed to keep Jewish people together; not socializing, dining, intermingling… and then intermarrying with the idolatrous pagans around them.

We have a similar rule for wine. It’s for keeping separate and not integrating.

It's still nonsensical and arcane to even put such things in a book. The most sense I can make out of it is that the priests put these arcane rituals in there to purposely make a cultural divide between Jews and other groups of people.

Which makes more sense than asserting that a cosmic being was concerned about such silly minutiae.

Whoever put it in, the function is to keep the Jewish people separate. That is a well defined goal in Judaism.
19-05-2016, 10:18 AM
(19-05-2016 09:07 AM)Aliza Wrote:  So there we have an understanding that this particular dietary law is probably designed to keep Jewish people together; not socializing, dining, intermingling… and then intermarrying with the idolatrous pagans around them.

Symbols, symbols. They have meaning or meanings. Symbols remind us about different things throughout the life when we use them constantly.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
19-05-2016, 10:22 AM
(19-05-2016 09:20 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Whoever put it in, the function is to keep the Jewish people separate. That is a well defined goal in Judaism.
There is a reason why they had to be separated from others.
What is this reason according to your religion?

19-05-2016, 11:07 AM
(19-05-2016 10:22 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 09:20 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Whoever put it in, the function is to keep the Jewish people separate. That is a well defined goal in Judaism.
There is a reason why they had to be separated from others.

Because we want to exist as a distinct, separate and unique culture. If we get too friendly, the next thing we know, our children or grandchildren will be intermarried and jumping up and down in the church pews, worshipping Jesus.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
19-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Symbols are God's secret code for veiling or revealing the truth according to the attitude of the listener.
Why did God and His prophets choose to use symbols? why does God want us to do things that are very symbolic? things like rituals.

1. symbols encourage to ponder and to seek the guidance and inspiration of the Holy Ghost. This attitude of prayerful searching is rewarded.
2. symbols are designed to protect that which is sacred by revealing truth and insight to those who are prepared and by concealing the same from the unworthy.
3. symbols have ability to influence the mind and create lasting impressions. Once we attach a specific meaning to a given symbol any future encounter of that symbol will bring a resurgence of thoughts or feelings associated with the assigned meaning.
4. one of the great values of symbols is their ability to functionally teach abstract concepts.

19-05-2016, 11:09 AM
(19-05-2016 11:07 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 10:22 AM)Alla Wrote:  There is a reason why they had to be separated from others.

Because we want to exist as a distinct, separate and unique culture. If we get too friendly, the next thing we know, our children or grandchildren will be intermarried and jumping up and down in the church pews, worshipping Jesus.
correct.
So, God didn't want His covenant people to mingle with other nations because He didn't want them to become worshipers of idols.

19-05-2016, 11:36 AM
What makes you think that it doesn't literally mean to boil a baby goat in its mother's milk? Where does it indicate that this is a symbol?
19-05-2016, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2016 11:57 AM by Aliza.)
(19-05-2016 11:07 AM)Alla Wrote:  Symbols are God's secret code for veiling or revealing the truth according to the attitude of the listener.
Why did God and His prophets choose to use symbols? why does God want us to do things that are very symbolic? things like rituals.

1. symbols encourage to ponder and to seek the guidance and inspiration of the Holy Ghost. This attitude of prayerful searching is rewarded.
2. symbols are designed to protect that which is sacred by revealing truth and insight to those who are prepared and by concealing the same from the unworthy.
3. symbols have ability to influence the mind and create lasting impressions. Once we attach a specific meaning to a given symbol any future encounter of that symbol will bring a resurgence of thoughts or feelings associated with the assigned meaning.
4. one of the great values of symbols is their ability to functionally teach abstract concepts.

Alla, I hope you will not take this personally. You're a very nice person, and I believe you're sincere in your religious convictions.... but I'm so glad I'm not involved in the Mormon church. -Or any Christian church for that matter.

I don't understand the way fundamentalists process information, but I find it faulty and not worthy of emulating in any capacity.

Edit: Nice, but apparently very self-righteous. (I hadn't yet read the second post when I replied to this one)
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
19-05-2016, 11:46 AM
(19-05-2016 11:09 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 11:07 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Because we want to exist as a distinct, separate and unique culture. If we get too friendly, the next thing we know, our children or grandchildren will be intermarried and jumping up and down in the church pews, worshipping Jesus.
correct.
So, God didn't want His covenant people to mingle with other nations because He didn't want them to become worshipers of idols.

You don't get to tell me if I'm correct or not. You've never studied Judaism.

I find that offensive and arrogant.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post