264 Commandments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2016, 06:01 PM
RE: 264 Commandments
(15-05-2016 08:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I just want to follow ONE commandment.

Don't be a dick.

Well I'm screwed then. :/

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
16-05-2016, 06:25 PM
(16-05-2016 06:01 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 08:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I just want to follow ONE commandment.

Don't be a dick.

Well I'm screwed then. :/

Hey now, you got proof of your dickiness?

I didn't think so. Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-05-2016, 06:28 AM
(13-05-2016 03:48 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Commonsensei Wrote:But what about the other 254? What you never heard of them? You could be breaking a commandment right now and not know it. (and most likely you are. Naughty Naughty)
Yep, this is what we all do. Constantly. We break God's laws every day of our lives knowingly or unknowingly. That is why we all deserve hell.
This what Jesus was saying. But THE GOOD NEWS IS that there is the ATONEMENT.
Atonement provides an opportunity for repentance. Repentance gives an opportunity for forgiveness.

It is NOT possible to obey ALL God's laws; and God KNOWS this.

That is why He sent His Son Jesus Christ. To save us from the sins(breaking of the laws knowingly) and from the transgressions(breaking of the laws unknowingly or without correct understanding).

This seems like the weirdest Rube Goldberg possible to try to get God and man in sync. If God knows we can't meet his impossible standards and has to jump through some incredibly bizarre hoops to atone people... of what use are the impossible standards?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
17-05-2016, 07:11 AM
(17-05-2016 06:28 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(13-05-2016 03:48 PM)Alla Wrote:  Yep, this is what we all do. Constantly. We break God's laws every day of our lives knowingly or unknowingly. That is why we all deserve hell.
Atonement provides an opportunity for repentance. Repentance gives an opportunity for forgiveness.

That is why He sent His Son Jesus Christ. To save us from the sins(breaking of the laws knowingly) and from the transgressions(breaking of the laws unknowingly or without correct understanding).

This seems like the weirdest Rube Goldberg possible to try to get God and man in sync. If God knows we can't meet his impossible standards and has to jump through some incredibly bizarre hoops to atone people... of what use are the impossible standards?

If this god is so unhinged about our behavior, he is the ONLY one to blame either for his super-anal retentive rules or his design of us.

There is no reasonable argument to be made for a supposedly cosmic entity that is so incredibly banal and OCD.

[Image: you-are-here_2.png]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
17-05-2016, 07:21 AM
god was totally wasted when he made all those rules. he's very stubborn tho, so instead of changing them and admitting he was wrong he decided to have his son tortured. god is also insane and hates his son. i dare you to come up with a better explanation
17-05-2016, 07:26 AM
(13-05-2016 03:48 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Commonsensei Wrote:But what about the other 254? What you never heard of them? You could be breaking a commandment right now and not know it. (and most likely you are. Naughty Naughty)
Yep, this is what we all do. Constantly. We break God's laws every day of our lives knowingly or unknowingly. That is why we all deserve hell.

So if it's not possible to obey all the laws, and G-d knew this from the get-go, then why did he give the laws in the first place and why does he tell in plain language that the laws are within our ability to fulfill?

Deuteronomy 30:11 Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. 12 It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 14 No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.
17-05-2016, 12:22 PM
(17-05-2016 07:26 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-05-2016 03:48 PM)Alla Wrote:  Yep, this is what we all do. Constantly. We break God's laws every day of our lives knowingly or unknowingly. That is why we all deserve hell.

So if it's not possible to obey all the laws, and G-d knew this from the get-go, then why did he give the laws in the first place and why does he tell in plain language that the laws are within our ability to fulfill?

Deuteronomy 30:11 Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. 12 It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 14 No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

Interesting that you chose this passage because it is really just the beginning of a threat.

Quote:15 See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. 16 For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.

17 But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, 18 I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.
19 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Even more interesting is that a being such as what is often claimed of YHWY is that he will smite people or children mercilessly for preparing an offering incorrectly, bringing the "wrong kind of fire" (whatever that is), or making fun of a bald man. Threatening punishment for noncompliance is hardly the way to teach why the rules are what they are and demonstrates a complete lack of a moral compass.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
17-05-2016, 12:41 PM
(14-05-2016 09:02 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Commonsensei Wrote:Ok. Here's a list of every interpretation.
I believe that all of them are incorrect. I know the correct one.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Commonsensei Wrote:So if you agreed with me that Adam and Eve never existed. Then how could you possible talk as if they did, and as if their actions attributed to anything?!
I am not sure why I said that. Most likely I didn't feel like arguing with you at that moment. I believe that biblical Adam and Eve existed and still exist in Celestial Kingdom.

Fantastic. So you admitting that your thread of Adam and Eve was a big waste of time. You didn't even entertain a single statement that was presented. Evolution? Nope. Geological Evidence? Nope. Implausible story ark? Nope. DNA? Fuck that shit.

"My proof is these two people that can't be proven live in a place that doesn't exist."

So they must share cloud space with Care Bears then.

Commonsensei Wrote:Bullshit. Did you even read a little of my opening post?
I'll give you some highlights.
4) Don't delete any commandments. Deuteronomy 4:2, 12:32
21) Obey all the commandments. Deuteronomy 5:32; 6:2, 17, 24, 25; 7:9-11; 8:1, 6, 11; 10:13; 11:1, 13, 32; 12:1, 28, 32; 13:4; 15:5; 19:9; 26:16, 17, 18; 27:1,
156) Be perfect. Deuteronomy 18:13
258) Don't change the commandments. Deuteronomy 28:14
Of course, God will say to obey all His commandments. He will never say: "keep some of my commandments and some you may ignore". God will never say:
"pick your favorite commandments".
But He will ALWAYS say: "obey ALL My commandments".
Then we have to try our best. The rest (we could NOT do) is covered by the Atonement.

Ok so you're choosing "My god is a lying monster."

Now remember I don't believe ANY of this. I don't think women should be hushed, I don't believe these commandments apply to anything, because they where created by a bunch of nomad sheep herders. And I defiantly don't believe you have any idea what your talking about.

But you! You're coming from the stand point. That this god exists and that he is watching an judging. And since you've just said on numerous occasions that he dose things dishonestly. Writing laws and telling prophets the wrong information only to have it revealed a later place and time to people
that fail at distributing that information. Why would you take anything that god had to say? As I've asked you in the past when the voices speak to you, how do you know it's not a demon trying to lead you astray?

Commonsensei Wrote:1. No god, man made laws, from a different time. No need to apply them to today.
2. God exists, in your interpretation. Makes you calling him a liar. Because ether he was lieing when these passages where being "guided" by his will. Or he made up the "follow only some of the commandments" rule on the side and didn't want to pass it on for 2600 years until he "spoke" to a 50 something Ucrainan woman living in Idaho.
3. God exists, in this interpretation. And he hates everything and created a self defeating system so that he could revel in the hoops people would have to jump threw to try to win is unachievable affection.

1) 40 something Ukrainian woman, not 50 something.
2)God gives all the laws we have to know, then we do our best to keep them. Whatever we fail is covered by the Atonement. Why do you think there is the Atonement?
For this reason - we can NOT obey ALL Gods laws.
God holds the bar for us very high, not low. He will say: keep ALL the commandments, not few. Then we do all we CAN. The Atonement covers all our failures.
I never could get it: why many people do not understand the reason for the Atonement. This is the reason: God can not tell us: "keep some of my commandments and BREAK other commandments". He has to say: "keep ALL my commandments" But because we can't do this, because we are not perfect, God provided the Atonement. Because if we break one law we are guilty of all.
God sets the bar high, not low

So you god is incapable to adjusting the bar. That seems like a great weakness.

He sets up the rules. But the only way to appease himself, is to sacrifice himself to himself so he can for give us for rules that he set. Yeah sounds like a great planer. #sarcastic The more you talk about your god the less I like him.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
17-05-2016, 01:09 PM
(17-05-2016 12:41 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  So you god is incapable to adjusting the bar. That seems like a great weakness.

He sets up the rules. But the only way to appease himself, is to sacrifice himself to himself so he can for give us for rules that he set. Yeah sounds like a great planer. #sarcastic The more you talk about your god the less I like him.

I've noticed that Alla's God is very weak and flawed, he's not all powerful, all knowing, all good, etc. and even though I was raised to believe he was all of these things and absolutely perfect it does make sense from her point of view that he's actually pretty human, it just doesn't make me like him any better.

I'm sure the only reason to worship him from that point of view is because he's our "father", I guess he made us in the spirit world, we got bodies, we get tested to become a god like him, etc. He still makes the rules, we don't have much free will since this whole game was set up way before were even born, we're basically being held hostage on this planet.

That's like worshiping your parents because they made you, it's just weird. It's also a lot like worshiping a dictator, he's in charge, we owe him, we should do what he says, if not we will suffer the consequences...or get a second chance to go through re-education after death and then accept him. If he's not all powerful and perfect, he's not worth worshiping, he's just a powerful spirit being with human tendencies and a pre-occupation with what we do while naked.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
17-05-2016, 01:32 PM
(17-05-2016 12:22 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 07:26 AM)Aliza Wrote:  So if it's not possible to obey all the laws, and G-d knew this from the get-go, then why did he give the laws in the first place and why does he tell in plain language that the laws are within our ability to fulfill?

Interesting that you chose this passage because it is really just the beginning of a threat.

Can you point the threat out specifically? I read through the passage but I couldn't find it.