264 Commandments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 03:18 PM
RE: 264 Commandments
(17-05-2016 01:09 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 12:41 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  So you god is incapable to adjusting the bar. That seems like a great weakness.

He sets up the rules. But the only way to appease himself, is to sacrifice himself to himself so he can for give us for rules that he set. Yeah sounds like a great planer. #sarcastic The more you talk about your god the less I like him.

I've noticed that Alla's God is very weak and flawed, he's not all powerful, all knowing, all good, etc. and even though I was raised to believe he was all of these things and absolutely perfect it does make sense from her point of view that he's actually pretty human, it just doesn't make me like him any better.

I'm sure the only reason to worship him from that point of view is because he's our "father", I guess he made us in the spirit world, we got bodies, we get tested to become a god like him, etc. He still makes the rules, we don't have much free will since this whole game was set up way before were even born, we're basically being held hostage on this planet.

That's like worshiping your parents because they made you, it's just weird. It's also a lot like worshiping a dictator, he's in charge, we owe him, we should do what he says, if not we will suffer the consequences...or get a second chance to go through re-education after death and then accept him. If he's not all powerful and perfect, he's not worth worshiping, he's just a powerful spirit being with human tendencies and a pre-occupation with what we do while naked.

Anything that wants or requires worship isn't worth worshiping.

The bible needs a god concept that says "Get off your knees, don't worship me or anything else! There will be no afterlife of rewards or punishment, I can't control what happens to your consciousness after you die."

But then if this god said that, why bother with the rest?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2016, 03:51 PM
(17-05-2016 01:32 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 12:22 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Interesting that you chose this passage because it is really just the beginning of a threat.

Can you point the threat out specifically? I read through the passage but I couldn't find it.

The threat is the part below (verse 15 and onwards), where he promises "death and destruction" to those who don't obey the commandments.
17-05-2016, 06:28 PM
(17-05-2016 01:32 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 12:22 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Interesting that you chose this passage because it is really just the beginning of a threat.

Can you point the threat out specifically? I read through the passage but I couldn't find it.

Ummm, the entire part in bold? You don't consider that a threat?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
17-05-2016, 06:31 PM
(17-05-2016 03:51 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 01:32 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Can you point the threat out specifically? I read through the passage but I couldn't find it.

The threat is the part below (verse 15 and onwards), where he promises "death and destruction" to those who don't obey the commandments.

But where?
17-05-2016, 06:33 PM
(17-05-2016 06:28 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 01:32 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Can you point the threat out specifically? I read through the passage but I couldn't find it.

Ummm, the entire part in bold? You don't consider that a threat?

No, I'm actually very confused. Can you give me a verse number?
18-05-2016, 02:58 PM
(17-05-2016 06:33 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 06:28 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Ummm, the entire part in bold? You don't consider that a threat?

No, I'm actually very confused. Can you give me a verse number?

The threat is the underlined.

Quote:15 See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. 16 For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.

17 But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, 18 I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.
19 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.[/b]

This is totally a threat. The setup is what you quoted earlier and I also put in bold. If you do A then you will be rewarded. If you don't do A then I will punish you. If only the reward was offered, then that would not be a threat. However, since there is a severe penalty if A is not done this constitutes a threat. The entire second half of Deuteronomy 28 is a threat for not complying and the introduction of hell in the NT is entirely a threat. Demanding something be done or else you will suffer is absolutely a threat.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-05-2016, 03:55 PM
Sounds like God got shit faced one night and put all these rules together thinking it was brilliant and was to arrogant to admit he totally fucked up when he sobered up.
18-05-2016, 07:02 PM
Aliza Wrote:So if it's not possible to obey all the laws, and G-d knew this from the get-go, then why did he give the laws in the first place?
So, it would be possible for us to make moral choices according to God's standard. If God doesn't give us law then whatever we do neither good nor evil. Then all our choices are neutral. But it is very important to make moral choices; this is one of the reasons why God sends us here( to the Earth).
Aliza Wrote:and why does he tell in plain language that the laws are within our ability to fulfill?
Deuteronomy 30:11 Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. 12 It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 14 No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.
This is how I personally understand these words of God.
In verse 10 God says: IF thou SHALT HEARKEN UNTO THE VOICE OF THE LORD THY GOD,.. and if THOU TURN UNTO THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, and WITH ALL THY SOUL, it will be NOT too hard for thee.
So, do I ALWAYS do what God said to do in verse 10? HOW WELL do I do this? Umm, good questions.
When I said that it is NOT possible for us to keep ALL God's commandments I didn't add one thing: It is in my power PERFECTLY to keep some particular commandments.
For example, if I pay my tithing all the time, I accomplished perfection in keeping this particular commandment.
If I never drink coffee(Oh, how I love it!) after I made my covenant with God, I accomplished perfection in this particular commandment.
It could be very HARD for me to stop drinking my coffee or pay my tithing if I did NOT do what God said to do in verse 10.
But still there are so many commandments that I do not obey perfectly. Probably, will never do.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
18-05-2016, 07:06 PM
RobbyPants Wrote:If God knows we can't meet his impossible standards and has to jump through some incredibly bizarre hoops to atone people... of what use are the impossible standards?
There is more room for improvement. The higher the bar the more potential you can discover in yourself.
The bar has to be as high as possible, not as low as possible.
Jesus was willing to atone for us so God could provide for us lots of opportunities to grow.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
18-05-2016, 07:16 PM
(18-05-2016 07:02 PM)Alla Wrote:  But still there are so many commandments that I do not obey perfectly. Probably, will never do.

GirlyMan's 3 Commandments:
1) don't be a dick
2) unless you have to
3) see commandment 1)
4) don't be a dick

I'm pretty sure that is the essence of The Word.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post