27 million slaves on earth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2011, 07:45 AM

27 million slaves on earth
I wasn't aware of this, were you? I was watching a TV show and they were mentioning about slavery and that there are an estimated 27million slaves on earth, more than any other time period.

http://www.greenchange.org/article.php?id=4878

this is question, not a statement: how much do you think religious texts endorsing slavery has to do with the number of slaves there are today?

I was very shocked to find out that owning a slave only became illegal in the UK in april 2010!
Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2011, 08:30 AM
RE: 27 million slaves on earth
Quote:this is question, not a statement: how much do you think religious texts endorsing slavery has to do with the number of slaves there are today?
It would still exist without religious texts.
There might be places in which slavery exists because a religion allows its followers to own slaves, but it can also be because of any other cultural thing.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2011, 09:10 AM

I don't want to diminish the fact that this is horrible, and its definitely worth reading, but at least in my own mind we're talking about two slightly different things. There is government edorsed slavery, basically leagal slavery, which for the US and Europe has been abolished for 200 years. I'm not sure about your UK factoid because they abolished slavery well before even the US. I'm not sure if there's a difference between abolishing and making illegal to own a slave, they are the same in my head. Maybe there was no official written decree like our amendment, but it was still abolished. Anyway what this is talking about is basic Human Rights violations that while rampant are still not endorsed by any goverment.
Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2011, 09:57 AM
That's appalling , but I don't think it's because of religion.
Religion can be used as a justification but it's not the cause.
Lack of respect for human life and a market that demands slaves drive this practice.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
31-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Slavery is not a religious practice, but any religion based on peace and love would condemn it and not allow their followers to engage in its practice. The christian religion did not condemn slavery until after secular governments abolished it and enough parishoners agreed with the secular stand to scare the clergy into doing the same.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.