28 Jan 1986 - 25 years to date

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2011, 03:53 PM
28 Jan 1986 - 25 years to date
Any of you remember this picture?
[Image: 050609_columbia_hmed_6p_hmedium1.jpg?w=3...;amp;h=191]
I do. I even remember having nightmares featuring this cloud of horrible beauty.
28 Jan 1986, 25 years to date, space shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds after takeoff.
I was an 11 year old boy and saw that damn picture over and over on the news. I heard the crew of 7 probably was still alive until they hit the ground. Enough emotion for me to have nightmares about it.

Do you think manned space flight was/is a success?

When thinking about the "space age" we live in, my thoughts wander to sentences of Carl Sagan's "pale blue dot"
Quote:The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet.
Carl... Its worse! We can't even safely routinely jump 600km from it's surface. Let alone pack an interplanetary moving van. To expensive for one nation to carry,

Face it earthlings. We are kept here on this planet! Not by it's gravity pull, but by our on inability to act as one! Before we can conquer space, we must first conquer our own flaws.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 10:49 PM
RE: 28 Jan 1986 - 25 years to date
Manned space flight is a success despite many setbacks.
We will NEVER act as one in all aspects , no matter what the consensus may be , there will always be dissidents. Still , the degree of dissidence varies and some goals may be achieved but expect humans to disagree on many things.

Also , Earth like planet discovered :
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/s...liese-581g

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
29-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I remember that too. I had just turned 17 ten days earlier, had my driver's license for just over a week, and was sitting in math class (Algebra, I think), when an announcement came over the PA system announcing that the Challenger had blown up during lift off. I remember going home from school that day and watching the video of it over and over. What I recall most is after it blew up there was silence and then a voice of the local loud speaker came on and said "we have a major malfunction". What an understatement that was.

Is manned space flight a success? I have no idea. How are we measuring it? What were the goals? What have been the benefits of it? I think initially it was a success but the past 30 years I think it's tough to justify the cost when you factor in the limited benefits and the number of lives lost. It wasn't that long ago that another shuttle blew up coming back into orbit.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
29-01-2011, 01:43 PM
(29-01-2011 12:47 PM)BnW Wrote:  It wasn't that long ago that another shuttle blew up coming back into orbit.
On 1 feb 2003 space shuttle COLUMBIA blew up during re-entry.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
03-02-2011, 01:30 AM

25 years...

Not much more than a month til the 25th aniversary of another explosion of horrifying beauty. Although, honestly i dont consider that chernobyl retain enough importance as humanity advances to match any single event occuring during the space program
Quote this message in a reply