3 Question Quiz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2015, 02:20 PM
3 Question Quiz
I’m currently reading a book on behavioral finance and in it is the following three question quiz to determine if your C-system (logic) can override your X-system (feels).

Cognitive Reflection Task (CRT)

1. A bat and a ball together cost $1.10 in total. The bat is $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long does it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake there is a patch of lily pads. Everyday the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the lake how long will it take to cover half the lake?

Answers:
#1. Bat $1.05, ball $0.05 #2. 5 minutes #3. 47 days

Only 17% of the 6,500 adults originally tested got all three right.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
17-12-2015, 02:27 PM
RE: 3 Question Quiz
I win, got them all right.

Though I actually heard the 1st 2 before several times so I guess that really doesn't say jack about logic but just remembering. I never ran across that 3rd one though.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
17-12-2015, 02:36 PM
So, without thinking too hard, I got them all correct.

Consider

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Those were quite easy. No. 1 took the longest for me, about 10 seconds. No. 2 took the time required to read it. No. 3 likewise.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
17-12-2015, 02:46 PM
(17-12-2015 02:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m currently reading a book on behavioral finance and in it is the following three question quiz to determine if your C-system (logic) can override your X-system (feels).

1. A bat and a ball together cost $1.10 in total. The bat is $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long does it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake there is a patch of lily pads. Everyday the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the lake how long will it take to cover half the lake?
You should put the spoilers in a second post because you can see them when quoting haha. I deleted them before I read them though.

Here are my answers:
x+y = 1.10
y+1 = x
2x = 2.10
x = 1.05 (bat)
y=.05 (ball)

2.1 machine can make 1 widget every 5 minutes
100 machines will have made 100 widgets after 5 minutes.

3. 47 days. As 48 days represents 2x where x is the size of the lilly pads on the 47th day.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
17-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Yay, just checked my answers. I love stuff like this.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-12-2015, 02:49 PM
(17-12-2015 02:27 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I win, got them all right.

Though I actually heard the 1st 2 before several times so I guess that really doesn't say jack about logic but just remembering. I never ran across that 3rd one though.

I am the opposite I've seen the last one before, but couldn't figure out the first one, though I did get #2 right. so 2 outta 3.
17-12-2015, 02:51 PM
I got them all right.

All solvable using junior high math, so I'm surprised that the percentage of people getting all correct is so low.
17-12-2015, 02:57 PM
I have seen the first one before but these kind of quizzes always make me sad. So many people can't logic.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
17-12-2015, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2015 04:26 PM by Grasshopper.)
(17-12-2015 02:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m currently reading a book on behavioral finance and in it is the following three question quiz to determine if your C-system (logic) can override your X-system (feels).

Answers:
#1. Bat $1.05, ball $0.05 #2. 5 minutes #3. 47 days

Only 17% of the 6,500 adults originally tested got all three right.

I have not looked at the spoiler or any of the other answers yet.

1. I wanted to say the ball costs 10 cents, but that doesn't work. A little algebra tells me that the ball must cost 5 cents.

2. Each machine takes 5 minutes to produce one ball. So 100 machines will produce 100 balls in the same amount of time as 5 machines making 5 balls -- i.e., 5 minutes.

3. Powers of 2, man, powers of 2. It will take 47 days to cover half the lake.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post