3 Question Quiz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2015, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2015 05:46 PM by Full Circle.)
RE: 3 Question Quiz
(17-12-2015 03:03 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-12-2015 02:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m currently reading a book on behavioral finance and in it is the following three question quiz to determine if your C-system (logic) can override your X-system (feels).

Cognitive Reflection Task (CRT)

1. A bat and a ball together cost $1.10 in total. The bat is $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long does it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake there is a patch of lily pads. Everyday the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the lake how long will it take to cover half the lake?

Answers:
#1. Bat $1.05, ball $0.05 #2. 5 minutes #3. 47 days

Only 17% of the 6,500 adults originally tested got all three right.

I have not looked at the spoiler or any of the other answers yet.

Grasshopper hide your answers please!

Thanks!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2015, 03:08 PM
(17-12-2015 02:51 PM)julep Wrote:  I got them all right.

All solvable using junior high math, so I'm surprised that the percentage of people getting all correct is so low.

I'm not surprised at all. Everybody in my family, and many of my friends, had immense trouble with junior high math (i.e., algebra). Algebra is some scary shit for most people. Not to brag, but it was a breeze for me. Foreign languages are scary shit for me. After struggling through 2 years of high school German, I still couldn't hold a conversation in German or read a German newspaper. And some people are fluent in half a dozen languages. Different strokes for different folks.
17-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Similar to Grasshopper.

Different people have different strengths. Math and logic have always been intuitive to me. But I have family members and friends who don't get it. On the other hand I can't expect myself to be able to learn a foreign language, even if I try.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-12-2015, 03:58 PM
(17-12-2015 02:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m currently reading a book on behavioral finance and in it is the following three question quiz to determine if your C-system (logic) can override your X-system (feels).

Cognitive Reflection Task (CRT)

1. A bat and a ball together cost $1.10 in total. The bat is $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long does it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake there is a patch of lily pads. Everyday the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the lake how long will it take to cover half the lake?

Answers:
#1. Bat $1.05, ball $0.05 #2. 5 minutes #3. 47 days

Only 17% of the 6,500 adults originally tested got all three right.

1. $0.05
  2. 5 minutes
  3. 47

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-12-2015, 04:12 PM
I likewise got all three, though I was tempted to guess what I suspect is the most common wrong answer for #1.

I wonder if atheists in general are more likely to get these right only because we tend to be more cautious of trusting our intuition.
17-12-2015, 04:23 PM
(17-12-2015 04:12 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I likewise got all three, though I was tempted to guess what I suspect is the most common wrong answer for #1.

I wonder if atheists in general are more likely to get these right only because we tend to be more cautious of trusting our intuition.

That is a good question. The book talks about giving the quiz to money managers and we don’t know how many of them were atheists. Too bad.

I normally approach word quizzes with mistrust (I also got all three right) because the first answer that popped into my head I didn’t trust. Rolleyes

One of the issues the book talks about is self-preception and optimism. Those who regard themselves as being smarter than average are more prone to answer too quickly and get the answer wrong.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
17-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Common sense gets the right answers as well. Algebra isn't needed.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2015, 04:30 PM
(17-12-2015 03:08 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(17-12-2015 03:03 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I have not looked at the spoiler or any of the other answers yet.

Grasshopper hide your answers please!

Oops! sorry. I figured everyone would be putting their answers in their posts. That's why I deliberately didn't look at any of them before answering. But I see that they are not doing that. So I have hidden mine as well. Thanks for pointing that out.
17-12-2015, 04:34 PM
(17-12-2015 04:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(17-12-2015 04:12 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I likewise got all three, though I was tempted to guess what I suspect is the most common wrong answer for #1.

That is a good question. The book talks about giving the quiz to money managers and we don’t know how many of them were atheists. Too bad.

I normally approach word quizzes with mistrust (I also got all three right) because the first answer that popped into my head I didn’t trust. Rolleyes

One of the issues the book talks about is self-preception and optimism. Those who regard themselves as being smarter than average are more prone to answer too quickly and get the answer wrong.
I rarely commit to anything that I'm unsure of, so I don't send in answers without verifying their correctness. This applies to most everything, but it also applies to these questions. The only way of getting these wrong is to answer them without thinking about why you are right, and then verifying that you are indeed right about being right Tongue.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-12-2015, 04:39 PM
(17-12-2015 04:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Those who regard themselves as smart often times are not Smile People also have a hard time accepting they might be below average on anything--half of us have to be, but very few people will admit it to.