3 Question Quiz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2015, 05:12 PM
RE: 3 Question Quiz
(17-12-2015 04:39 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Those who regard themselves as smart often times are not Smile People also have a hard time accepting they might be below average on anything--half of us have to be, but very few people will admit it to.

What’s that George Carlin line?

[Image: o7V81aM.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
22-12-2015, 05:08 PM
3 Question Quiz
I was way off......
22-12-2015, 06:08 PM
I guess I'm the dumb one because I missed #1. Weeping

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-12-2015, 10:03 PM
(17-12-2015 02:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m currently reading a book on behavioral finance and in it is the following three question quiz to determine if your C-system (logic) can override your X-system (feels).

Cognitive Reflection Task (CRT)

1. A bat and a ball together cost $1.10 in total. The bat is $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long does it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake there is a patch of lily pads. Everyday the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the lake how long will it take to cover half the lake?

Answers:
#1. Bat $1.05, ball $0.05 #2. 5 minutes #3. 47 days

Only 17% of the 6,500 adults originally tested got all three right.

That book you're reading is quite old...............
22-12-2015, 11:29 PM
I am still wondering what to to with each when you get them???

[Image: Lesser_short-nosed_fruit_bat_(Cynopterus...yotis).jpg]

[Image: 44548501-zoom.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-12-2015, 01:48 AM
I dunno about that 17% statistic. I think it may have a lot to do with how the test was delivered. All three of the questions were pretty simple, and by the apparent results, others seem to agree. Normally I'd be calling bullshit on everyone claiming they didn't look at the answers, but honestly the questions aren't hard at all. The second made me pause for a moment, but the first and third were so intuitive I was sure I had them wrong, and figured them several times looking for my error lol.

As I read the questions, I can see how a knee jerk answer could be wrong, so I wonder if the questions were asked without the preamble we got, would the results differ? I may have blurted out 100 as the answer to number two if I was otherwise distracted.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
23-12-2015, 03:35 AM
(23-12-2015 01:48 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I dunno about that 17% statistic. I think it may have a lot to do with how the test was delivered. All three of the questions were pretty simple, and by the apparent results, others seem to agree. Normally I'd be calling bullshit on everyone claiming they didn't look at the answers, but honestly the questions aren't hard at all. The second made me pause for a moment, but the first and third were so intuitive I was sure I had them wrong, and figured them several times looking for my error lol.

As I read the questions, I can see how a knee jerk answer could be wrong, so I wonder if the questions were asked without the preamble we got, would the results differ? I may have blurted out 100 as the answer to number two if I was otherwise distracted.

I think you're hitting onto the point of why so many get it wrong but aren't wanting to really believe it. But there are large portions of people who won't go beyond thinking past that initial intuitive answer. They will accept that and not go to the phase of second guessing their thought process and manner of concluding the response.

Though that may change the results if people were primed differently, sure. If they were given lab coats they were told were scientists lab coats and made to take this test maybe the results would be higher.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-12-2015, 04:50 AM
Whenever I'm asked such questions, I know the answer is not the "obvious" one, but math hates me. My brain simply can't process it. It takes me a lot of time, notes and visualizations to solve the problem.

In this case, for example, I needed to visualize the bat and the ball with price tags to find the answer, no math involved. I generally need to process the problem in much more time-consuming ways than the average person.

The first one took me a few seconds, the third one about a minute and the second about FIVE minutes. That doesn't sound good Tongue

I'd like to think it doesn't have to do with my intelligence. I mean, I hope it doesn't mean I'm not smart enough, even if it takes longer for me, as long as I do find the answer.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-