3 Stupid justifications for police brutality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2016, 06:54 AM
RE: 3 Stupid justifications for police brutality
(15-07-2016 06:50 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  
Quote:2. the officer felt threatened
Why the heck did you become a police officer of course your going to feel threatened that's like saying you choose to become a swimmer but don't think your going to get wet so you drain the pool...

False, disingenuous analogy. The fact that a trained LEO feels threatened is sufficient cause to take defensive action dependent on the level of that threat. You're interpreting the word "threaten" too literally. At its simplest, it means "causing someone to feel vulnerable or at risk". And if you're in any frontline position such as the police or military, and if you never feel threatened in any active confrontational scenario, then you're a poor cop or soldier—and you'll run the chance of being killed.

I'm guessing from the derogatory tone of your post that you're not an LEO. Correct? And are you an African-American?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2016, 07:14 AM
(18-07-2016 06:54 AM)SYZ Wrote:  False, disingenuous analogy. The fact that a trained LEO feels threatened is sufficient cause to take defensive action dependent on the level of that threat. You're interpreting the word "threaten" too literally. At its simplest, it means "causing someone to feel vulnerable or at risk". And if you're in any frontline position such as the police or military, and if you never feel threatened in any active confrontational scenario, then you're a poor cop or soldier—and you'll run the chance of being killed.

I'm guessing from the derogatory tone of your post that you're not an LEO. Correct? And are you an African-American?

Wow! That was a quick jump from a good critique of an argument (yes, LEO are expect to use force if they feel threaten and have no better recourse to accomplish their goal) to derogatory comment with a slightly racist underline.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
18-07-2016, 07:31 AM
(18-07-2016 07:14 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Wow! That was a quick jump from a good critique of an argument (yes, LEO are expect to use force if they feel threaten and have no better recourse to accomplish their goal) to derogatory comment with a slightly racist underline.

Uh... "racist" undertone? Are we not even allowed to ask what a person's racial origins are in your world? And if so, why not?

Could it be that you're inadvertently practicing reverse racism against me? Think about it.

18-07-2016, 07:34 AM
(17-07-2016 03:07 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 03:05 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Please define police brutality.

Really you need such a simple term defined to you if so why are you here?

The term "police brutality" has many nuances. If you're gonna use the term, then you need to explain exactly in what context or to what degree you're using it. And you also need to refrain from using ad hominems instead of refuting the actual comments of respondents.

You've obviously got a large chip on your shoulder about the police; care to tell us why?

18-07-2016, 07:55 AM
(17-07-2016 03:39 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 03:18 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Look, I've worked in law enforcement my entire life, from a military police officer, to criminal investigation with CID, then as a deputy, and now in the armory at a police station.

You know what police brutality is? 99.9% is bullshit. Everything is police brutality these days. That's why I won't work the beat anymore and switched to maintaining weapons. Got sick of every person i tried to lawfully stop, detain, or arrest trying to fight or flee or scream they were being brutalized. If I pulled someone over for speeding, they pull out the cell phone camera and start with the "you only pulled me over because I'm XYZ."

Fuck it.

Thank you for sob story would like a violin quartet as well

Thank you or your biased and totally distorted view of events it wasn't asked or really says much but thank you all the same

As for lawfulness lots of awful shit is lawful

Owch I don't know about police brutality but that last post of yours was pretty brutal mate
18-07-2016, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2016 08:37 AM by OrdoSkeptica.)
(18-07-2016 07:34 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 03:07 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  Really you need such a simple term defined to you if so why are you here?

The term "police brutality" has many nuances. If you're gonna use the term, then you need to explain exactly in what context or to what degree you're using it. And you also need to refrain from using ad hominems instead of refuting the actual comments of respondents.

You've obviously got a large chip on your shoulder about the police; care to tell us why?

With respect i was not ad homing noting dark helmets habit of goal post moving e which i have observed him do elsewhere on definitions. You define something he simply refuses your definition then repeats the question (kind of like a creationist to acknowledge what evolution means).So engaging in definition quickly devolves into you trying to convince the unconvincable of a definition they refuse to acknowledge .Plus plenty of people have given definitions that i find generally fit the bill of what i have in mind.

As for the police most officers i have nothing but respect for but as a system and a culture police tends to be toxic .Of course it;s not just the police most of course the judicial system as well even thou lawyers judges etc are generally good people.

If you mean why i'm harsh on helmet noting his personality online i have a hard time believing he's the White Knight he's painting himself as

[Image: giphy.gif]
18-07-2016, 08:16 AM
(18-07-2016 07:55 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 03:39 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  Thank you for sob story would like a violin quartet as well

Thank you or your biased and totally distorted view of events it wasn't asked or really says much but thank you all the same

As for lawfulness lots of awful shit is lawful

Owch I don't know about police brutality but that last post of yours was pretty brutal mate

Your right i should have toned that down a tad

18-07-2016, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2016 07:08 AM by epronovost.)
(18-07-2016 07:31 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Uh... "racist" undertone? Are we not even allowed to ask what a person's racial origins are in your world? And if so, why not?

Could it be that you're inadvertently practicing reverse racism against me? Think about it.

Now, now, don't play coy with this issue. Considering the subject and your reply, your question was far from being as «innocent» as you want to make it appear. Neither was it asked in fashion that made the answer any relevent to your argument or to the discussion. Asking someone racial origin isn't racist. Implying, even through a question, that a person might held a position that is commonly associated with black people in popular culture is the very definition of racism. Furthermore, should that not be your case and simply a problem of miscommunication, which are rather frequent especially on sensitive subjects, I find your reply extremely dubious.

Your reply consisted mostly at denying any form of racism (or racist bias) in your approach and in return accuse me of what I perceive to be your fault. To practice «reverse racism» (by that I suspect you mean racism against white people) against you I would have had to mention that your reply was motivated by the fact that you were white (thus implying that white people in general a racists), a thing that I don't even consider true since I don't know if you are white or not (neither do I think white people are racist in general). Since black people can be racist toward other black people on a relatively frequent basis, I don't see why it couldn't be the case for you since I don't know your ethnic background nor do I care about it.

The correct answer to my comment would have been to apologies for any miscommunication and ask again your question to the OP in a way that sound a lot more pertinent and motivated by a desire to better understand his position instead of presenting it in a rebuttal designed to reject it outright. You might also have added a little bit of explanation as to how you think the answer could affect positively your position just to be on the safe side.

I am sorry if you consider my accusation as being a direct attack on your character. I don't think tha this comment makes you a racist in broad sense of the term. Every now and then, it happens that in the eat of the moment, faced with someting that infuriate us especially for various reasons, that our first reply is condition or «tainted», for lack of better terms, by social stereotypes and convention that we do not consciously hold as true or even opposite to our core beliefs. There isn't a single one of us who can claim of never falling prey to such failures. If this reply and my first weren't designed to attack your character (again I apoligies for it, if my brash and slightly tacktless reply made you believed it was the case), I think that exposing those laps are important to reduce their numbers and their influence in the social arena. Considering the quality of your precedent argument, don't take this reply as a rejection of your opinion or a demand of you to be silenced or ignored on the subject of police brutality.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
18-07-2016, 08:28 AM
And what the heck an LEO?Rolleyes

And no i'm not black but even if i were i fail to see the relevance not as thou it's really any of your concern thank you

Next

Nope your criticism of threats just like helmets still doesn't justify what i'm speaking of nor have you successfully refuted my analogy thou i acknowledge it's a very weak one.

Lastly how is you not being able to ask me my race reverse racism ?

18-07-2016, 08:33 AM
There is no such thing as reverse racism .Racism against white people is just racism .There no difference.