3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
14-01-2014, 03:48 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
The girl in this video is stalked by strawmen for years...

Its actually pretty cool how they must have filmed years apart

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
14-01-2014, 04:32 PM
(14-01-2014 01:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 12:50 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  So you're an atheist based on the lack of evidence, but see no reason to believe that you can obtain this evidence? That's an odd position.

Cake anyone?

No evidence is no evidence. Your thinking is bizarre.

Yours is so simplistic and circular. I don't see any value in justifying a position based on the lack of something.
14-01-2014, 05:20 PM
There is a point where you have to stop looking for evidence for a position, when none has been found by anybody in the world over thousands of years.
If evidence arises then so be it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
14-01-2014, 08:38 PM
(14-01-2014 04:32 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 01:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  No evidence is no evidence. Your thinking is bizarre.

Yours is so simplistic and circular. I don't see any value in justifying a position based on the lack of something.

You completely misunderstand what lacking a belief means. I have no belief in any gods because there is no evidence of any.

I am not making a claim or staking a position. I am not claiming that no gods exist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
14-01-2014, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 10:16 PM by ClydeLee.)
Re: RE: 3 questions for atheists
(14-01-2014 12:50 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 10:05 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Congratulations, you've made the same unfounded assertion for over a dozen times. Your reward is, nobody cares what you say.

So you're an atheist based on the lack of evidence, but see no reason to believe that you can obtain this evidence? That's an odd position.

Cake anyone?

Did I claim that's why I'm an atheist? Did I say I see no reason to believe we can obtain this evidence? I recall none of that.

Seriously, are you incapable of not asserting stances of other people? If you took time to think things through without pre-convinced concept definitions clouding your judgment, you might understand these points better.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post
14-01-2014, 11:21 PM
(14-01-2014 04:32 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 01:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  No evidence is no evidence. Your thinking is bizarre.

Hard to see with your head up your ass.

Drinking Beverage

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
15-01-2014, 12:19 AM
(14-01-2014 03:31 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 12:50 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  So you're an atheist based on the lack of evidence, but see no reason to believe that you can obtain this evidence? That's an odd position.

Hey slick, I'm a believer who's faith relies upon the fact that there is currently no evidence of God.

What does your "Odd Position" meter read on that one? Drinking Beverage

Yes that's pretty odd. Why rely on it? And why use the word currently if you rely on it? This implies that you rely on it but only transiently.
15-01-2014, 12:24 AM
(14-01-2014 05:20 PM)sporehux Wrote:  There is a point where you have to stop looking for evidence for a position, when none has been found by anybody in the world over thousands of years.
If evidence arises then so be it.

Yes but why align with atheism? All it does is take a philosophical position which is pretty much useless unless you dislike religion. But even then it would make more sense to align with anti-theism.
15-01-2014, 12:25 AM
(14-01-2014 08:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 04:32 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yours is so simplistic and circular. I don't see any value in justifying a position based on the lack of something.

You completely misunderstand what lacking a belief means. I have no belief in any gods because there is no evidence of any.

I am not making a claim or staking a position. I am not claiming that no gods exist.

You have said nothing which makes me think I don't understand your position.
15-01-2014, 12:26 AM
(14-01-2014 10:08 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

Cake anyone?

Did I claim that's why I'm an atheist? Did I say I see no reason to believe we can obtain this evidence? I recall none of that.

Seriously, are you incapable of not asserting stances of other people? If you took time to think things through without pre-convinced concept definitions clouding your judgment, you might understand these points better.

Fire away. What is your position?