3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
15-01-2014, 10:14 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(15-01-2014 10:00 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 02:31 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Hey Taq I was wondering...
Would you be comfortable making this assertion:

Fish cannot clap their hands.

If so please tell me why.

LOL.

No.

Because I am unaware of any species of fish that actually has hands.

Wait -- you're fucking with me -- they can't clap their hands because they don't have hands, oh wait, I've seen this before.....

How can you make an assertion based on a lack of something??? That doesn't make any sense!

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
15-01-2014, 10:58 PM
(15-01-2014 10:14 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 10:00 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  LOL.

No.

Because I am unaware of any species of fish that actually has hands.

Wait -- you're fucking with me -- they can't clap their hands because they don't have hands, oh wait, I've seen this before.....

How can you make an assertion based on a lack of something??? That doesn't make any sense!

It's easy: Just make up as you go along, like BS, Alla, mikdickliss, Lyin'Orc, etc, etc, etc.... Big Grin

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-01-2014, 11:02 PM
(15-01-2014 02:31 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Hey Taq I was wondering...
Would you be comfortable making this assertion:

Fish cannot clap their hands.

If so please tell me why.

Because fish don't have a sense of humor...Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
16-01-2014, 12:34 AM
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.
A lack of belief is not what I have. I have a solid belief in my family, friends and in myself. As far as thinking that I have a creator who pieced my body together in the womb, pays attention to my every thought & movement and also knows my future - I haven't been introduced to such a being. Because there is book (New Testament for example), that says so - is not sufficient evidence for validation. And having studied the first part of said book (Old Testament), I'm certain that the Hebrew God (if he were there), would be onto a new project far away from the mess of a world he created.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?
The purpose is to take hold of life as an individual. To take full responsibility for every action. And to live the only life we have in the very best way we so wish to.
Nothing is taken for granted - each moment is precious. It's quite bewildering actually. There aren't enough hours in the day.Drooling

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?
If a God was to be proven in my lifetime, I would be only slightly disappointed - I think that after the shock, I would be overcome with wonder. The wonder of why the designer and producer of the planet with all of its beauty would chose to stay so hidden from it..Bowing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes andreanoel's post
16-01-2014, 01:23 AM
(15-01-2014 09:52 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 01:53 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You need to understand what agnosticism is before making statements like that.

YOU need to understand what agnosticism is, rather than make up your own definitions and attempting to impress them on the rest of the fucking world.

[Image: 43873369.jpg]
Oh yes of course, agnosticism is the view that you cannot disprove that Thor exists.

Thanks for your time I really got something from it.
16-01-2014, 01:27 AM
1. I have been passive atheist for many years now and just became active in my belief. Now I am embracing anti-theism and chunking the passivity. Major religions teach people to trust in, meditate on, and take an active interest in the ultimate goal of their religion: nirvana, or heaven. We have a world of people believing the earth is not their provider and not the ultimate goal or end of their existence. for this only, I actively speak out against a worldview that does not believe the physical world is IT, then we die, and life goes on. This belief creates a tragically false existence and negates the physical world of life, death, bone, beauty, desert, and rock.

2. Why should atheism or the atheist have a purpose? It is not a religion. The individual atheist can create her own purpose. How is that for freedom?

3. As an atheist or anti-atheist, I carry no idea of god. I once followed Christian belief, but that is gone. Over the years, I lost the idea that god must be proved for me to believe. It is not possible anymore for me to believe in the existence of god or gods. The idea of god or gods is, to me, perverse.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
16-01-2014, 01:45 AM
Brownshirt, on what basis can you claim that an atheist makes an assertion as to whether or not a god exists?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
16-01-2014, 02:25 AM
(16-01-2014 01:45 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Brownshirt, on what basis can you claim that an atheist makes an assertion as to whether or not a god exists?

The over dependence on evidence and comparing any form of god, no matter how conceptual or briefly defined to fairies etc indicates an implied assertion to me.
16-01-2014, 02:35 AM
(16-01-2014 12:34 AM)andreanoel Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.
A lack of belief is not what I have. I have a solid belief in my family, friends and in myself. As far as thinking that I have a creator who pieced my body together in the womb, pays attention to my every thought & movement and also knows my future - I haven't been introduced to such a being. Because there is book (New Testament for example), that says so - is not sufficient evidence for validation. And having studied the first part of said book (Old Testament), I'm certain that the Hebrew God (if he were there), would be onto a new project far away from the mess of a world he created.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?
The purpose is to take hold of life as an individual. To take full responsibility for every action. And to live the only life we have in the very best way we so wish to.
Nothing is taken for granted - each moment is precious. It's quite bewildering actually. There aren't enough hours in the day.Drooling

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?
If a God was to be proven in my lifetime, I would be only slightly disappointed - I think that after the shock, I would be overcome with wonder. The wonder of why the designer and producer of the planet with all of its beauty would chose to stay so hidden from it..Bowing
Cool post.
16-01-2014, 02:56 AM
Brownshirt,

I do not require evidence of god; therefor, I am not a dependent atheist. I have no concept of god. So your last question cannot be inclusive to all people calling themselves atheist.

I have searched the threads, and have read many responses by people calling themselves atheists who seem very young and are simply "testing the waters," so to speak, to work out what they believe. That is good and OK. I believe your third question is based upon those who call themselves atheists and are not entirely committed.

Also, I am apparently confused by the idea of an agnostic atheism. Maybe someone can supply a definition or position.

I really like the spell check on this site--nice.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles