3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
16-01-2014, 02:10 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(16-01-2014 09:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 08:05 AM)sporehux Wrote:  To throw another cat in the bag, im a skeptic and I think Atheism/agnostism are redundant as s result.
Skepticism FTW

I have said before, and will say it again, atheism is a result of skepticism. It's a conclusion.

Do you really think that making simple one liner statements says anything beyond what you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brownshirt's post
16-01-2014, 02:17 PM
(16-01-2014 02:07 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 09:54 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Over dependence on evidence, or simply a penchant for viewing reality as it is?

The problem is that believing in fairies is a slippery slope. A good skeptical attitude would do this world a heap of good. I won't deny possibilities, but I can't place faith in that which has no credible evidence. I understand this can be uncomfortable for people who are too lazy to think, but that's not my problem.

How are you in any position to state we can see reality as it is? We know different animals have heightened/lowered senses towards many things, what absolves humans from this?

Really? Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-01-2014, 02:18 PM
(16-01-2014 02:10 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 09:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have said before, and will say it again, atheism is a result of skepticism. It's a conclusion.

Do you really think that making simple one liner statements says anything beyond what you think?

Rolleyes Smearing it on your face doesn't turn it into lipstick you know.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
16-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Alright.
I'm going to skip the target rich environment that is your reply to me, in favor of something that doesn't apply to me:

(16-01-2014 01:58 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  ... The dependence on atheists to dwell on their lack of belief seems so trivial and pointless.

ATTENTION ALL ATHEISTS...YOU ARE ALL SIMPLY DWELLING ON YOUR LACK OF BELIEF!!

Absolutely absurd.

Release the hounds!

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 4 users Like Kestrel's post
16-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Re: RE: 3 questions for atheists
(16-01-2014 02:03 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 06:38 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Deism is still a religious claim as well, so of course I would be atheistic to that to the same way as I am to YhWh and Odin.

The difference here is I don't deny I can be atheistic and agnostic to some claims at the same time.

Reality is full of grey areas, but if you don't believe something, you don't believe it.

I don't think Deism is religious at all, it's essentially equivalent to proposing a prime mover, first cause and that's about it.

I don't get why you'd dwell on your lack of belief, when you don't know. Presumably you'd need to know to believe? So it renders belief and atheism redundant.

I don't know that we know exactly what reality is, all we know is what we perceive/observe. Making absolutes about 'reality' is a step too far for me.

What does religion mean to you? Deism to me is still religious because it is a supernatural hypothesis about origins of our universe.

I dwell on my lack of belief? Once again, an assertion once again you easily could not have made, but choose to. What's your basis for needing to know before believing. I disagree and explained how before, you just wrote that off though.

Here is am example of asking points without being presumptuous.

By Reality, I meant reality in a mere general sense of thought.. But moving on because you just made a bizarre claim to me.

You've said you're agnostic because we can't know (whatever it is we can't know, universal origins or likethings.) is that right? But now you say you don't make absolutes about reality.

That agnostic position sounds like am absolute statement about reality to me. Would you explain how it's not or is that a contradiction?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-01-2014, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2014 03:28 PM by ClydeLee.)
Re: RE: 3 questions for atheists
(16-01-2014 01:58 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 03:44 AM)Kestrel Wrote:  It's hardly insight. All I had to do is read page after page of you striving over the definition of one word. As it seemingly turns out, you're arguing for a distinction without a difference. No need to be an active participant to discern that.

Brownshirt Wrote:... your own perspective being so vague yet you seemed to expect it to be inherently understood.
Quote:Right there is an example of your disconnect.
Your stated assumption of what you think is my "expectation", is wrong. Nowhere do I allude to an expectation of my beliefs being somehow inherently understood. That's all you.
Don't think for others. Just read what they have to say.

Quote:For my part, I don't feel you are trolling. But you seem to have a touch of, "I'm the smartest guy in the room" syndrome. Intelligence is what it is and can't be increased past the point of what we are each endowed with.
What can be increased is wisdom.
Personally, I'll take wise over smart any day.
If this were your position, you would have noticed that the conversation had stalled, made a concession and moved the discussion forward.

Eh. You'll do what you think is best and it's resulting consequence

That's the way I see it.
Quote:Trolling is different to different people, I disagree and know that I do. So I do know that an argument will ensure, but that's a result of the difference of perspective. Call it trolling if you like, I'm not bothered.

My position is I don't think we will ever know. The dependence on atheists to dwell on their lack of belief seems so trivial and pointless.

Perhaps you hadn't noted, but many atheists presume their position is for the clever. Maybe you subscribe to that, personally I dislike the hypocrisy.

This conversation has stalled, so be it. I'm not making a concession over something I deem to be fundamental to it. Agnosticism and atheism are mutually exclusive, and unless you're anti-theism I don't see any point in identifying as a atheist.

Maybe you should create another thread explaining what your basis for thinking, we will never know is.

A I've seen is one argument maybe you've made many but this thread has over 1k posts. That one argument was we are a product over this system, so how can we know beyond it. That doesn't make enough of an argument to know for certain. We are finding more information the more we study beyond our life. To believe there is a limited point for all time by a young studies now isn't skeptical or open. We should remain progressively searching to see if we can find limits or not.

Maybe you have other reasons you could elaborate upon? Or how about a thread logically demonstrating the hypocritical aspects of the atheist position. Or the skeptical atheist position because that's what your point of argument seems to have become about.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-01-2014, 03:50 PM
(16-01-2014 02:10 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 09:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have said before, and will say it again, atheism is a result of skepticism. It's a conclusion.

I manage to put more logic, reason, and fact in one line than you've managed in this entire thread. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
16-01-2014, 05:35 PM
(10-01-2014 01:15 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 12:57 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  I believe that my uncle, Paul shit the universe into existence 3 minutes ago! Prove that he didn't!

It all makes so much more sense now. Praise Paul's Arse!

Now that we all know how it all happened, I'm taking donation's for the Paul's Remarkable Ass Is Saving Everyone (PRAISE) church! We're kind of a small, crack in the religious outhouse of life, now! But, digging deep, to cover the underworld of evil that sits upon the throne of our naked earth. Please join us now! We can make this world a shittier place!
[+] 3 users Like Ameron1963's post
16-01-2014, 06:31 PM
We here at PRAISE make it up as we go along! As Paul, himself did! Then we spread it upon the ferment of the Earth! Making the plants grow and the cows emit CO 2! And we stare, cross-eyed into the great void and we see the sacred poop! Yea, some has peanuts and some of a liquid nature. For the nature of the poop is varied and kind of confusing. But it is the poop of life! The very poop of the generations of Paul! So, stare with us! Cross-eyed as it is written, (I just wrote it) and watch your nose for a drop to alight upon you! Then will you know that you are chosen! Then will you find your check book and spell "PRAISE" correctly! Then will you find many zeros in your heart! Oh, Paul is with me now! PRAISE Paul! He's speaking through me! Lord Paul, I hear you and I ask all your children, who are here today! To click that mouse! and give! So we can spread your turds upon EVERY toilet of your putrid Earth!
[+] 2 users Like Ameron1963's post
16-01-2014, 07:03 PM
(16-01-2014 03:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 02:10 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Do you really think that making simple one liner statements says anything beyond what you think?

I manage to put more logic, reason, and fact in one line than you've managed in this entire thread. Drinking Beverage
I don't know chas, I don't think you or I could have maintained a troll bait thread this successfully, credit where credits due.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".