3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
16-01-2014, 07:17 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(16-01-2014 07:03 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 03:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  I manage to put more logic, reason, and fact in one line than you've managed in this entire thread. Drinking Beverage
I don't know chas, I don't think you or I could have maintained a troll bait thread this successfully, credit where credits due.

Meh, quantity not quality. Lots of repetition.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2014, 07:19 PM
(16-01-2014 07:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 07:03 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I don't know chas, I don't think you or I could have maintained a troll bait thread this successfully, credit where credits due.

Meh, quantity not quality. Lots of repetition.

In that case, who likes cheese? Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
16-01-2014, 07:24 PM
(16-01-2014 07:19 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 07:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  Meh, quantity not quality. Lots of repetition.

In that case, who likes cheese? Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
16-01-2014, 08:51 PM
(16-01-2014 01:23 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 09:52 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  YOU need to understand what agnosticism is, rather than make up your own definitions and attempting to impress them on the rest of the fucking world.

[Image: 43873369.jpg]
Oh yes of course, agnosticism is the view that you cannot disprove that Thor exists.

Thanks for your time I really got something from it.

Hard to get anything at all with your head up your ass.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
16-01-2014, 08:54 PM
(16-01-2014 02:25 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 01:45 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Brownshirt, on what basis can you claim that an atheist makes an assertion as to whether or not a god exists?

The over dependence on evidence...

Hobo

Quote: ...and comparing any form of god, no matter how conceptual or briefly defined to fairies etc indicates an implied assertion to me.

That's just wishful thinking on your part. There is just as much evidence for fairies and unicorns as there is for any given god-thing. All you are doing is wallowing in fallacious appeals to personal incredulity.

16-01-2014, 08:59 PM
(16-01-2014 02:21 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  
Release the hounds!

Mockingbirds. Big Grin

16-01-2014, 09:57 PM
(16-01-2014 02:17 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 02:07 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  How are you in any position to state we can see reality as it is? We know different animals have heightened/lowered senses towards many things, what absolves humans from this?

Really? Drinking Beverage

What is this coffee thing here?

Anyhoo, yes really. I have asked you many times why you believe that you can obtain the evidence for it. This includes the actual ability to be able to obtain not just if it's avaliable.
16-01-2014, 10:03 PM
(16-01-2014 02:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 02:10 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Do you really think that making simple one liner statements says anything beyond what you think?

Rolleyes Smearing it on your face doesn't turn it into lipstick you know.

Like Alanis Morissette screeching doesn't make it music, I hear you my brother.
16-01-2014, 10:05 PM
(16-01-2014 02:21 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  Alright.
I'm going to skip the target rich environment that is your reply to me, in favor of something that doesn't apply to me:

(16-01-2014 01:58 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  ... The dependence on atheists to dwell on their lack of belief seems so trivial and pointless.

ATTENTION ALL ATHEISTS...YOU ARE ALL SIMPLY DWELLING ON YOUR LACK OF BELIEF!!

Absolutely absurd.

Release the hounds!

If you are a theist, you're very odd.
[+] 1 user Likes Brownshirt's post
16-01-2014, 10:10 PM
(16-01-2014 03:13 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 02:03 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I don't think Deism is religious at all, it's essentially equivalent to proposing a prime mover, first cause and that's about it.

I don't get why you'd dwell on your lack of belief, when you don't know. Presumably you'd need to know to believe? So it renders belief and atheism redundant.

I don't know that we know exactly what reality is, all we know is what we perceive/observe. Making absolutes about 'reality' is a step too far for me.

What does religion mean to you? Deism to me is still religious because it is a supernatural hypothesis about origins of our universe.

I dwell on my lack of belief? Once again, an assertion once again you easily could not have made, but choose to. What's your basis for needing to know before believing. I disagree and explained how before, you just wrote that off though.

Here is am example of asking points without being presumptuous.

By Reality, I meant reality in a mere general sense of thought.. But moving on because you just made a bizarre claim to me.

You've said you're agnostic because we can't know (whatever it is we can't know, universal origins or likethings.) is that right? But now you say you don't make absolutes about reality.

That agnostic position sounds like am absolute statement about reality to me. Would you explain how it's not or is that a contradiction?

A religion is a dogma and requires people to believe it to be true, life their life according to the mantra etc. Deism is a single view of a first cause, that's about it.

So in your view I need to justify my assumption that we cannot assess reality as it is, as opposed to how we perceive it? Why should I think the product of a system can assess it as it is. It's safer to assume we cannot, why do you think we can?

The only absolute I make is not considering ourselves capable to obtain/analyse/assess.