3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
29-12-2013, 01:58 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(29-12-2013 01:45 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 11:59 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  
[Image: 1486817_10151889278196840_182863275_n.jpg]

What a strange picture. Science does not denounce god. I know many religious people believe science to be true. Picking soft targets such as creationists and portraying them as all religious people is disingenuous and shows why many people consider the neo-atheists views to be pushing an agenda. Me for one.

Feel free to mentally replace "science" with "atheism" in this picture.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2013, 02:01 AM
(29-12-2013 01:58 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 01:45 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  What a strange picture. Science does not denounce god. I know many religious people believe science to be true. Picking soft targets such as creationists and portraying them as all religious people is disingenuous and shows why many people consider the neo-atheists views to be pushing an agenda. Me for one.

Feel free to mentally replace "science" with "atheism" in this picture.

Why?
29-12-2013, 02:03 AM
(29-12-2013 01:51 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  As Taqiyya looks like an Afro-American name and she responds like it, I thought I'd call her Shaniqua.

Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-12-2013, 02:04 AM
(29-12-2013 02:03 AM)kim Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 01:51 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  As Taqiyya looks like an Afro-American name and she responds like it, I thought I'd call her Shaniqua.

Undecided

Fair enough. Weeping
29-12-2013, 02:28 AM
So this has changed into an "atheists are silly because they know they can't prove there is no god!" type of thing? "Agnosticism is the most honest position because it is impossible to know!" *sigh*.

Brownshirt, maybe things will be clearer to you when you realize that you are an agnostic atheist, as are most atheists and most who call themselves agnostic.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
29-12-2013, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2013 03:26 AM by Brownshirt.)
Sigh indeed. Why would I "realise" this? I don't define myself based on what someone else calls me. I don't define my views based on what someone else does believe in.
So based on that I will remain an agnostic thanks. It seems the only people who claim agnostics as atheists, are atheists. You're welcome to define yourself as an atheist., I don't base my definition on what I believe/know before you begin with the atheist/theist is based on what you believe , and an agnostic is based on what you know bollocks. If asked is there a creator/god/whatever I would say "I don't know", and as such my 'belief' is irrelevant.

I look for a solution to account for existence, until we have one my answer would always remain "I don't know" not "I lack belief" in any reason for existence. If you have evidence, then you have evidence, focusing on the lack of evidence is pointless. There's a lack of evidence for ANY explanation.

I think you should remove the agnostic from how you define yourself as it appears as an attempt to remove yourself from a side, but by identifying as atheist you use the implication of the word to show disbelief in a god/creator etc.

I find the phrase "lack of belief" to be a load of bullshit. Who claims to lack belief in something, it makes no sense.
29-12-2013, 03:20 AM
(29-12-2013 03:18 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Sigh indeed. I don't define myself based on what someone else calls me. I don't define my views based on what someone else does believe in.
So based on that I will remain an agnostic thanks. It seems the only people who claim agnostics are atheists. You're welcome to define yourself as an atheist, I don't base my definition on what I believe/know before you begin with the atheist doesn't believe, and an agnostic doesn't know bollocks. If asked is there a creator/god/whatever I would say "I don't know", and as such my 'belief' is irrelevant. If I knew I would believe/disbelieve as the case may be.

I look for a solution to account for existence, until we have one my answer would always remain I don't know.

I think you should remove the agnostic from how you define yourself as it appears as an attempt to remove yourself from a side, but by identifying as atheist you use the implication of the word to show disbelief in a god/creator etc.

I find the phrase lack of belief to be a load of bullshit. Who claims to lack belief in something, it makes no sense.

did you actualy reply to my post?

I am asking because I will only make the effort to look through the last pages if you actualy did.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
29-12-2013, 03:33 AM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2013 03:43 AM by Brownshirt.)
(28-12-2013 08:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

1. Why do you have an active lack of belief in the 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto ?
2. What is the "purpose" of dismissing claims for anything for which there is not a shred of evidence ?
3. One does not "believe" in evidence. It is "evaluated", and either accepted or dismissed and forgotten, as the issue is resolved, and one moves on to other concerns.

1. I don't.
2. There is no purpose unless you believe religion is harmful. I'm not concerned with religion being harmful, rather what philosophical position I should take.
3. If you depend on evidence/disprove to prove a position, you presume it's forthcoming. So if you presume this, you must believe evidence to be available.
I think if there's evidence, THEN i will evaluate it. In the complete absence of evidence I will remain in the I don't know camp.
29-12-2013, 03:33 AM
(29-12-2013 03:20 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 03:18 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Sigh indeed. I don't define myself based on what someone else calls me. I don't define my views based on what someone else does believe in.
So based on that I will remain an agnostic thanks. It seems the only people who claim agnostics are atheists. You're welcome to define yourself as an atheist, I don't base my definition on what I believe/know before you begin with the atheist doesn't believe, and an agnostic doesn't know bollocks. If asked is there a creator/god/whatever I would say "I don't know", and as such my 'belief' is irrelevant. If I knew I would believe/disbelieve as the case may be.

I look for a solution to account for existence, until we have one my answer would always remain I don't know.

I find the phrase lack of belief to be a load of bullshit. Who claims to lack belief in something, it makes no sense.

did you actualy reply to my post?

I am asking because I will only make the effort to look through the last pages if you actualy did.

Which one?
29-12-2013, 03:37 AM
(29-12-2013 03:33 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Which one?

To my reply to your reply......

ahhh sod it.

I will simply look and if you replied I will reply to that reply.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]