3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
17-01-2014, 08:17 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(17-01-2014 03:09 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  [quote='Brownshirt' pid='469216' dateline='1389948308']

[quote]Utilising the knowledge component from agnosticism misses what agnosticism is.
Dafuq? You are trying too hard, let's stick to words that we know.

OMG EvenH Heart
ROFLMFAO

I haven't laughed that hard in days................ thank you Bowing

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
17-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Re: RE: 3 questions for atheists
(17-01-2014 12:26 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 10:15 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Again you add claims not made because somehow you don't understand the concept of being skeptical.

You shouldn't assume anything without merit if you want to be intellectually honest.
Your version of scepticism assumes nothing but your ability to assess the question of a god. If this is not true, tell me why you request evidence? I don't believe this to be a genuine request, simply one to prove your point. What evidence of a god has man ever had throughout history. It seems a concoction to justify atheism. The pretence of rationality is just that. If evidence is presented use it then.

For the dozenth time. I/skepticial views do not assume we can accurately assess the question of God. It's left at an open unconfirmed block. Your agnostic

This is why people say you don't understand. You keep asserting false concepts and not explaining why you think them.

And I don't go around asking for evidence. If someone is telling me their position though, I will ask them their rationale for it. That's how one LEARNS of positions. Again based on what do you find it not genuine of request? Is it different than your creation of this thread with those questions? Was that not genuine request? What separates those?

As I see it, the actual ideas matter far more than labels. I don't care if you call yourself a Huxley agnostic, anti-theist, satanists, or atheist. Labels are a weak form of attempting to categorize people. I would still enjoy being apart of this community here if it was called the intellectual agnostics or dragonblood worship center, as long as the ideas it was based on were the same.

The only purpose of a label like that which fits into non-belief is so people in a world that has a lot if religious power control, realize find out there is a growing movement of people who aren't accepting unconfirmed religious/deity claims. That may answer one of your original questions which may of been answered many times before if it wasn't stated in a form of asserting something.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
17-01-2014, 09:14 AM
(17-01-2014 08:21 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 12:26 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Your version of scepticism assumes nothing but your ability to assess the question of a god. If this is not true, tell me why you request evidence? I don't believe this to be a genuine request, simply one to prove your point. What evidence of a god has man ever had throughout history. It seems a concoction to justify atheism. The pretence of rationality is just that. If evidence is presented use it then.

For the dozenth time. I/skepticial views do not assume we can accurately assess the question of God. It's left at an open unconfirmed block. Your agnostic

This is why people say you don't understand. You keep asserting false concepts and not explaining why you think them.

And I don't go around asking for evidence. If someone is telling me their position though, I will ask them their rationale for it. That's how one LEARNS of positions. Again based on what do you find it not genuine of request? Is it different than your creation of this thread with those questions? Was that not genuine request? What separates those?

As I see it, the actual ideas matter far more than labels. I don't care if you call yourself a Huxley agnostic, anti-theist, satanists, or atheist. Labels are a weak form of attempting to categorize people. I would still enjoy being apart of this community here if it was called the intellectual agnostics or dragonblood worship center, as long as the ideas it was based on were the same.

The only purpose of a label like that which fits into non-belief is so people in a world that has a lot if religious power control, realize find out there is a growing movement of people who aren't accepting unconfirmed religious/deity claims. That may answer one of your original questions which may of been answered many times before if it wasn't stated in a form of asserting something.

[Image: adc5f1f6.jpg]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
17-01-2014, 12:50 PM
(17-01-2014 03:01 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 02:46 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I agree to an extent but if you have 2 contradictory definitions for the same word that seems pretty stupid to me.

.... and this is the pin point exactly where you and I disagreed much earlier in the thread. At the understanding of the word. ... Which happens a lot in life, then people waste time and energy debating a word arbitrarily when the persons intention and thought behind it are way more important. ... I was listening to a discussion about this exact subject, the word agnosticism, on themagicsandwichshow the other day. It seems that your classic definition of the word is technically correct. However, as skepticism and theology have continued to communicate over the years, it would appear that our use of the word is also academically and intellectually correct. Modern language evolves, like everything. ... So once again, interesting, yes. Important in the grand scheme of things? Not really.

Have you got any links/footnotes which backup your claim of your use of the word being used academically? Intellectually is a little bit more subjective I would like to see some use of the term in this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Brownshirt's post
17-01-2014, 01:52 PM
3 questions for atheists
[Image: 70e9dd65072363dc5358a01c5bba3ce0a4148b40...193ba7.jpg]

[Image: frabz-Look-Dave-I-can-see-youre-really-u...ff5896.jpg]

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 3 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
17-01-2014, 01:57 PM
This thread has a gross number of views and responses.

P.S. Most atheists (from what I've seen) are agnostic atheists. I don't know why that is cause for you to cry about it for like 3 weeks straight, but that's just how it is.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 8 users Like Adrianime's post
17-01-2014, 11:59 PM
(17-01-2014 03:09 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 02:45 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Utilising the knowledge component from agnosticism misses what agnosticism is.

Heart

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
18-01-2014, 01:08 AM
(17-01-2014 01:57 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  This thread has a gross number of views and responses.

Key words, questions and atheists, google, views.

It's a silly world.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-01-2014, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2014 01:24 AM by Brownshirt.)
(17-01-2014 01:57 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  This thread has a gross number of views and responses.

P.S. Most atheists (from what I've seen) are agnostic atheists. I don't know why that is cause for you to cry about it for like 3 weeks straight, but that's just how it is.

I'm not crying, just telling you why you're wrong. Atheists cry about theists, I cry about the lack of knowledge/belief bollocks of those who describe themselves as agnostic atheists.

Weeping
18-01-2014, 01:21 AM
(17-01-2014 08:17 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 02:45 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
Quote:Utilising the knowledge component from agnosticism misses what agnosticism is.

OMG EvenH Heart
ROFLMFAO

I haven't laughed that hard in days................ thank you Bowing

Fair enough, let me break it down for you.

Agnosticism is not what you know, it's your ability to know.