3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
19-01-2014, 12:05 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(18-01-2014 10:51 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 08:23 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Atheism traditionally negates a god

For me, traditionally I'm not keen on tradition, but I do hold to definitions when it comes to language because it is the best way to portray ourselves, especially in a place like the internet. My position doesn't negate a god, it fails to recognize one. Your logic is assuming and atrocious.

Meh tell me why, otherwise i'll just say "no yours is".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2014, 12:11 AM
(18-01-2014 11:04 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 03:09 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Dafuq? You are trying too hard, let's stick to words that we know.

I saw this today and it made me think of BS.

[Image: 3307CB86-5C59-442B-9575-959B8D5BD7E3_zpskwkqxfrz.jpg]

I saw this and thought of you.[Image: news-graphics-2007-_655312a.jpg]
19-01-2014, 12:21 AM
(19-01-2014 12:11 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 11:04 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I saw this today and it made me think of BS.

[Image: 3307CB86-5C59-442B-9575-959B8D5BD7E3_zpskwkqxfrz.jpg]

I saw this and thought of you.[Image: news-graphics-2007-_655312a.jpg]

Ok Phteven

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
19-01-2014, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2014 12:55 AM by evenheathen.)
(19-01-2014 12:05 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Meh tell me why, otherwise i'll just say "no yours is".

My position doesn't negate a god, it fails to recognize one. Why do you fail to recognize this?

Either willful ignorance or you're a troll. Which is it?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-01-2014, 01:01 AM
(19-01-2014 12:21 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 12:11 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I saw this and thought of you.[Image: news-graphics-2007-_655312a.jpg]

Ok Phteven

The transformation is complete.

[Image: grSDz9y.jpg]
19-01-2014, 01:03 AM
(19-01-2014 12:51 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 12:05 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Meh tell me why, otherwise i'll just say "no yours is".

My position doesn't negate a god, it fails to recognize one. Why do you fail to recognize this?

I don't buy the sincerity of it. Should I?
19-01-2014, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2014 01:29 AM by evenheathen.)
(19-01-2014 01:03 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 12:51 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  My position doesn't negate a god, it fails to recognize one. Why do you fail to recognize this?

I don't buy the sincerity of it. Should I?

The sincerity of what? My position?

Troll it is. Thanks for your time, beyond all the shit you've excreted, at least we had some laughs.
[Image: shit-gun-smiley-emoticon.gif]

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
19-01-2014, 01:27 AM
(19-01-2014 12:03 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 09:36 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  You don't know until you try son. You're as much an idiot for thinking we can't figure things out as others are idiots for thinking we can. One group of idiots makes progress. The other rests and rots. You are the Luddite here.

It is unlikely that we will ever get to know "everything", but we won't know what we can know until we set out to find out. Atheism founded on scientific scepticism is the position that we have no reason to believe ridiculous things until we have found out whether or not they are true, and to continue to strive to find out what is really true. Your big idea is to sit in the corner and laugh and sulk.

How's that working out for you?

So you've presumed you can find out what is true.

Oh the Dawkins line of "but we're working on that". When you say progress what do you mean?

Keep striving and you can achieve the multiverse and Krauss' something from nothing....son.

No, I've presumed those who think we might be able to expand our knowledge are more useful and beneficial to society than those who think there is nothing more to learn. My "presumption" is based on several hundred years of scientific advancement and is by no means idle speculation. I base my opinion on evidence, whereas evidence shows that you base your opinion on personal incredulity.

But if you think the best use of your limited time on earth is to argue that humanity has nothing left to strive for and pretend this is as worthy a way to live your life as lives spent productively then I'm not going to sit around here and waste my time disagreeing with you. You're welcome to your opinion, just don't expect those who get things done to spend too much time humouring you.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
19-01-2014, 01:54 AM
(19-01-2014 01:07 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 01:03 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I don't buy the sincerity of it. Should I?

The sincerity of what? My position?

Troll it is. Thanks for your time, beyond all the shit you've excreted, at least we had some laughs.
[Image: shit-gun-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Noooo don't go. Why won't you love me?

Anyhoo still don't get why you'd identify as an atheist.
19-01-2014, 02:06 AM
(19-01-2014 01:27 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 12:03 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  So you've presumed you can find out what is true.

Oh the Dawkins line of "but we're working on that". When you say progress what do you mean?

Keep striving and you can achieve the multiverse and Krauss' something from nothing....son.

No, I've presumed those who think we might be able to expand our knowledge are more useful and beneficial to society than those who think there is nothing more to learn. My "presumption" is based on several hundred years of scientific advancement and is by no means idle speculation. I base my opinion on evidence, whereas evidence shows that you base your opinion on personal incredulity.

But if you think the best use of your limited time on earth is to argue that humanity has nothing left to strive for and pretend this is as worthy a way to live your life as lives spent productively then I'm not going to sit around here and waste my time disagreeing with you. You're welcome to your opinion, just don't expect those who get things done to spend too much time humouring you.

Oh is this where you say my agnosticism means that I deny scientific advancement in any field, and I'm not just addressing the god question? Such a typical response from an atheist. Only atheists are responsible for medical advancements etc.Sleepy

Keep those cures a coming sunshine. Why do you spend any time on the internet, you could be saving humanity just like Jesus did. Thumbsup