3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
29-12-2013, 03:39 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(29-12-2013 03:37 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 03:33 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Which one?

To my reply to your reply......

ahhh sod it.

I will simply look and if you replied I will reply to that reply.

If I haven't let me know which one it is, and I will. I have missed some.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2013, 03:41 AM
(29-12-2013 03:39 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  If I haven't let me know which one it is, and I will. I have missed some.

yeah.

Here is a link to the post:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid452150

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
29-12-2013, 03:51 AM
(28-12-2013 06:32 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 03:17 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Being an active atheist to me, would require some atheist activity such as coming here. I can understand those who require support from being viewed as an atheist from family and friends who are theist (i.e a response to a position) or being against religion, however s a philosophical standpoint it seems a strange position to take.

I was banned several months ago from an atheist forum which I had used for well over a year. After that I tried finding a new forum to frequently use: I googled for forums on politics, videogames, movies, sex, science, history and whatever...
Forums are not neceserely a thing that actively promote something, they are places of gathering for people who look for the same thing: communication.

The reason why some people are here is the same reason why people are on facebook, with the difference that facebook is filled with morons and that the likelyhood of encountering a moron is decreased on a specified forum.

Quote:Yes but why? People don't join groups to show what they lack belief in, or don't do.

People have joined clubs and organisations that specified for a certain kind of likeminded people ever since the first political and philosophical debating pubs opened in ancient Athens. (These ancient debating pubs in Athens were used more for drunk orgies than for actual debate.)

It is a human thing that we want to meet and conect to other humans, but why just join a random online community which is potentialy filled with creeps, hillbillies and people I would hide children from, when I can join a specific community and thereby lower the risk of encountering halfwits.

I think halfwits are everywhere, it's all relative.

It's still not something I understand. I wouldn't want to discuss with people that I don't do something, or don't believe something. I think the problem is religion and many active atheists either seeks solace from other atheists as their family and friends are religious, or they dislike the effects of religion on the world.

Seeking solace I understand, the impact of religion is debatable. I'm more inclined to believe people are the problem not religion.

If you gather for philosophical reasons i don't get that at all., unless you're leaning towards attempting to prove the nonexistence of a creator or demonstrating why existence is random.
29-12-2013, 04:10 AM
(29-12-2013 03:51 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I think halfwits are everywhere, it's all relative.

It is anything but relative.

Halfwits are evrywhere on the internet, so I chose to go to a place where there are less halfwits and where I am likely to meet likeminded people.

Quote:It's still not something I understand. I wouldn't want to discuss with people that I don't do something, or don't believe something. I think the problem is religion and many active atheists either seeks solace from other atheists as their family and friends are religious, or they dislike the effects of religion on the world.

Do you see people here discussing that they dont do anything?????

No, we dont seek solace, we seek company - which is a very human thing to do.
It is the same reason why (some) people go to pubs, stripclubs, parties, festivals, brothels, therapists, lectures, church and other social gatherings.

Quote:Seeking solace I understand, the impact of religion is debatable. I'm more inclined to believe people are the problem not religion.

So am I, yet I dont see the relevants of this point in this debate.

Quote:If you gather for philosophical reasons i don't get that at all., unless you're leaning towards attempting to prove the nonexistence of a creator or demonstrating why existence is random.

I am not trying to argue for atheism with you since that was not the op nore the question you asked me for.

You asked me to explain why people gather in this forum.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
29-12-2013, 04:28 AM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2013 07:54 AM by DLJ.)
(29-12-2013 01:51 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  ...
As Taqiyya looks like an Afro-American name and she responds like it, I thought I'd call her Shaniqua.

Ah! Racial stereotyping. Got it.
Thanks.

(29-12-2013 03:18 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  ...
I don't define myself based on what someone else calls me.

... because that would be an all too convenient way of expressing my ideas in a way that others can understand.

I know. From now on, I'm going to define myself as Gwyneth Paltrow: Goddess.

Thumbsup

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
29-12-2013, 05:02 AM
(28-12-2013 11:42 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 10:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I begin to see your problem. So you actually think that ONLY Islamists planned, and carried out the attacks against the towers *just happens* to be a coincidence. I see "agnosticism" to you is the same as purposeful fucking ignorant denial of the facts.

Let's see if you can see any similarity between american's foreign policy and your inability to grasp that other people speak English apart from Americans.

The funny thing is Americans decided to re-spell some words and then you said my sentence doesn't make sense.

Very good.Thumbsup

Also re your facts statement, this seemed to be the most appropriate.

[Image: Penguins_Logic.jpg]

I see you constantly employ a deflective strategy, and instead of addressing the points made concerning your bias, you attempt to deflect. Nice try. Fail. US foreign policy has absolutely NOTHING to do with this discussion.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-12-2013, 05:32 AM
(29-12-2013 02:01 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 01:58 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Feel free to mentally replace "science" with "atheism" in this picture.
Why?

Because that's my answer to the questions you asked. Of course "atheist" simply means "I don't have a god belief", but self-labelled atheists tend to label themselves as such because they see some specific harm in religion... either in their own life or in society more broadly. I see harm in religion, therefore I self-label as atheist. Also, I don't know what "agnostic" is supposed to mean until someone describes what it means to be agnostic with respect to fairies and unicorns and explains what gnosticism/knowledge is supposed to be... what bar it is supposed to set. I can't tell you what I know. I can only tell you what I believe and what I suspect and what I have a reasonable basis for accepting. I don't think I "know" anything, therefore I don't know what adding "agnostic" to my "atheist" label would add in any meaningful sense.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
29-12-2013, 07:38 AM
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.
My belief is passive. I don't seek recognition.
Quote:2. What is the purpose of atheism?
There is no purpose.
Quote:3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?
What god are you talking about? If you can give me a definition, I will
prove to you that God does not exist, or that your definition is stupid.
29-12-2013, 08:24 AM
(28-12-2013 09:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  We are all born atheist, and that is not stupid, stupid! Tongue

You're stupid! And! You're a poopyhead! Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-12-2013, 09:32 AM
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief?
Inactive.

Quote:The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.
Across?

Quote:2. What is the purpose of atheism?
None.

Quote:3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?
Not.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post