3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
20-01-2014, 01:03 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(28-12-2013 11:00 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Using theocratic terminology is really not the best way to frame a question to non-theocratic folk.

Do you know what theocratic means?

In the OED it says:

Of, pertaining to, or of the nature of theocracy.

From the OED a theocracy is:

A form of government in which God (or a deity) is recognized as the king or immediate ruler, and his laws are taken as the statute-book of the kingdom, these laws being usually administered by a priestly order as his ministers and agents; hence (loosely) a system of government by a sacerdotal order, claiming a divine commission; also, a state so governed: esp. applied to the commonwealth of Israel from the exodus to the election of Saul as king.

That being the case, what is "theocratic terminology" and can you explain which words that Brownshirt used are "theocratic" and explain how they are "theocratic"?

Your statement immediately followed this question from Brownshirt:

1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

So I presume that the above question contains "theocratic terminology". Which words in the question are "theocratic terminology"?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2014, 01:28 AM
(20-01-2014 12:45 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 11:48 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  This is just a materialist perspective.

If you say so, sure. You tell me why it shouldn't be.

(19-01-2014 11:48 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You didn't deny it or demonstrate how materialism can be wrong, why?

I didn't deny it because it has no consequence to our discussion. Your question as to how materialism can be wrong is a red herring.

(19-01-2014 11:48 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Because it would completely undermine your perspective

Nice projection, not to mention that you are simply copying what I said and redirecting it at me. The problem for you is that my position is backed up by common sense and the fucking dictionary. You only have a poorly thought out position that can only be substantiated by........well it can't, really. But you do a good job of redirection and subterfuge.

You have no argument.

Ok, since you have no desire to disprove materialism.

What evidence do you have which tells you it's the correct assumption to make? Let me guess, because evidence is obtained this transcends to materialism. It creates a conclusion in the absence of certainty, but luckily it can pretend to be certain.

You need to justify it.
Find all posts by this user
20-01-2014, 01:36 AM
(20-01-2014 01:28 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You need to justify it.

Why?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
20-01-2014, 01:53 AM
(20-01-2014 01:36 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 01:28 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You need to justify it.

Why?

2 reasons. Either you're tiptoeing around materialism by stating "you tell me why it shouldn't be", or the requirement for evidence to rationalise a position.

In the day to day world, sure evidence is required. With regard to the god question it assumes too much. You may as well say we can observe and analyse everything correctly.
20-01-2014, 01:55 AM
(20-01-2014 01:36 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Why?

Because in the absence of justification it really is no more than a prejudice.

Some philosophers are of the view that qualia are immaterial; and that doesn't amount to a claim that such things as souls or spirits exist. This is a contentious matter and it is by no means universally accepted. I mention it because it is an example of immaterialism that has nothing to do with things supernatural.
20-01-2014, 01:59 AM
(20-01-2014 01:55 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 01:36 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Why?

Because in the absence of justification it really is no more than a prejudice.

Some philosophers are of the view that qualia are immaterial; and that doesn't amount to a claim that such things as souls or spirits exist. This is a contentious matter and it is by no means universally accepted. I mention it because it is an example of immaterialism that has nothing to do with things supernatural.

Yup. Atheism is prejudice in it's purest form.

I'll agree. So is every other belief or opinion.

Is it not justified?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
20-01-2014, 02:06 AM
(20-01-2014 01:59 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yup. Atheism is prejudice in it's purest form.

I'll agree. So is every other belief or opinion.

Is it not justified?

Atheism and every other belief or opinion can be prejudice but it needn't be. If rational justification can be provided then it can't be categorised as mere prejudice. I always catch flak for saying things like this but it is nevertheless true: most people on this forum do just operate at the level of prejudice and are entirely incapable of providing any sort of rational justification for their atheism or most of the other beliefs they hold. Some even deny having beliefs and this naive belief is itself demonstrative of my point.
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
20-01-2014, 02:08 AM
(20-01-2014 01:53 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  In the day to day world, sure evidence is required. With regard to the god question it assumes too much. You may as well say we can observe and analyse everything correctly.

You obviously haven't read through this thread.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
20-01-2014, 02:13 AM
(20-01-2014 02:06 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Some even deny having beliefs and this naive belief is itself demonstrative of my point.

When it comes down to the crux of what beliefs I may or may not hold, I do agree with the...."tenets" of nihilism. Tell me I am wrong in holding that position.

~ Umberto Eco
20-01-2014, 02:20 AM
(20-01-2014 02:08 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 01:53 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  In the day to day world, sure evidence is required. With regard to the god question it assumes too much. You may as well say we can observe and analyse everything correctly.

You obviously haven't read through this thread.

You will need to be a little bit more specific.