3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
29-12-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(29-12-2013 03:18 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Sigh indeed. Why would I "realise" this? I don't define myself based on what someone else calls me. I don't define my views based on what someone else does believe in.
So based on that I will remain an agnostic thanks. It seems the only people who claim agnostics as atheists, are atheists. You're welcome to define yourself as an atheist., I don't base my definition on what I believe/know before you begin with the atheist/theist is based on what you believe , and an agnostic is based on what you know bollocks. If asked is there a creator/god/whatever I would say "I don't know", and as such my 'belief' is irrelevant.

I look for a solution to account for existence, until we have one my answer would always remain "I don't know" not "I lack belief" in any reason for existence. If you have evidence, then you have evidence, focusing on the lack of evidence is pointless. There's a lack of evidence for ANY explanation.

I think you should remove the agnostic from how you define yourself as it appears as an attempt to remove yourself from a side, but by identifying as atheist you use the implication of the word to show disbelief in a god/creator etc.

I find the phrase "lack of belief" to be a load of bullshit. Who claims to lack belief in something, it makes no sense.
I don't care how you define yourself, but as you express your point of view you fall under the category of an agnostic atheist.
lacks belief in a god = atheist.
lacks knowledge of any god = agnostic.

And no, I'm not an agnostic atheist.

And years ago I looked at the words similarly to how you are looking at them now. That is, until I learned what they meant.

But whatever man/woman. Like I said, I don't care what you call yourself. You are obviously offended by the atheist label...so whoop de doo, call yourself agnostic.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
29-12-2013, 01:22 PM
(28-12-2013 11:34 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 10:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  And yet... sigh!

My point was that your deliciously provocative thread did not belong in Atheism vs. Theism because you seem to be wanting to discuss atheism vs. agnosticism.

Drinking Beverage

You can't be that surprised, I'm sure Shaniqua does this with all non-atheists who dare to question it.

(29-12-2013 01:19 AM)kim Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 12:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I have no idea what this means!
Drinking Beverage

I do not understand what that means, either.
Shaniqua?

Shekinah. He meant Shekinah. Drinking Beverage

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
29-12-2013, 02:07 PM
(29-12-2013 01:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Shekinah. He meant Shekinah. Drinking Beverage

Well, that's interesting... Consider kind of settling place for spirit or some such - possibly even within. Cool. Thumbsup

Still, I think our intolerant friend has provided us with a fair assessment of his identity issues. Maybe he's just antsy about coming into a new community and all. No big whoop. Drinking Beverage except for the racist stereotyping shit

So, Brownshirt... in case you forgot to make an introduction thread... Dodgy in the introduction forum...

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-12-2013, 02:09 PM
(29-12-2013 04:10 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  It is anything but relative.

Halfwits are evrywhere on the internet, so I chose to go to a place where there are less halfwits and where I am likely to meet likeminded people.

Of course it's relative. Do you think likeminded people to you are halfwits, or can you point me in the direction of people who think they're halfwits?

Quote:It's still not something I understand. I wouldn't want to discuss with people that I don't do something, or don't believe something. I think the problem is religion and many active atheists either seeks solace from other atheists as their family and friends are religious, or they dislike the effects of religion on the world.

Quote:Do you see people here discussing that they dont do anything?????
That's not my point, my point is why would you bother to come here on the basis of lacking belief in someone else's view?

Quote:No, we dont seek solace, we seek company - which is a very human thing to do.
It is the same reason why (some) people go to pubs, stripclubs, parties, festivals, brothels, therapists, lectures, church and other social gatherings.

Quote:Seeking solace I understand, the impact of religion is debatable. I'm more inclined to believe people are the problem not religion.

So am I, yet I dont see the relevants of this point in this debate.

People would usually gather based on what they have in common. Defining yourself as an atheist and using the lack of belief to justify your atheism, seems such a bizarre way to find like minded people. If you have an agenda, i.e belittle the religious or propose why a existence is, seek solace, I can understand that. Without a purpose it seems pointless.

Quote:If you gather for philosophical reasons i don't get that at all., unless you're leaning towards attempting to prove the nonexistence of a creator or demonstrating why existence is random.

Quote:I am not trying to argue for atheism with you since that was not the op nore the question you asked me for.

My original questions would lead to arguing for atheism I would think.

Quote:You asked me to explain why people gather in this forum.

People wouldn't gather here unless you believe atheism to be a logical position to take, the question I asked was why they gather which indirectly also questions why do you believe atheism to be correct. Simply using the lack of belief position seems such a weak basis.[/quote]
29-12-2013, 02:16 PM
(29-12-2013 04:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 01:51 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  ...
I don't define myself based on what someone else calls me.

... because that would be an all too convenient way of expressing my ideas in a way that others can understand.

I know. From now on, I'm going to define myself as Gwyneth Paltrow: Goddess.

Thumbsup

Not if the definition only suits the purposes of one side. As I've said only atheists define agnostics as atheists.

I define agnosticism as neither believing nor disbelieving. A theist believes, and an atheist disbelieves.

Allow me to help you understand my position.

Strong agnosticism (also called "hard", "closed", "strict", or "permanent agnosticism")
The view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of a deity or deities, and the nature of ultimate reality is unknowable by reason of our natural inability to verify any experience with anything but another subjective experience. A strong agnostic would say, "I cannot know whether a deity exists or not, and neither can you."

If you can point me to anyone who is not an atheist defining agnosticism in the same way you do I would be surprised.

Sorry you don't get to define what my position is.Thumbsup
29-12-2013, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2013 02:22 PM by Brownshirt.)
(29-12-2013 12:50 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 03:18 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Sigh indeed. Why would I "realise" this? I don't define myself based on what someone else calls me. I don't define my views based on what someone else does believe in.
So based on that I will remain an agnostic thanks. It seems the only people who claim agnostics as atheists, are atheists. You're welcome to define yourself as an atheist., I don't base my definition on what I believe/know before you begin with the atheist/theist is based on what you believe , and an agnostic is based on what you know bollocks. If asked is there a creator/god/whatever I would say "I don't know", and as such my 'belief' is irrelevant.

I look for a solution to account for existence, until we have one my answer would always remain "I don't know" not "I lack belief" in any reason for existence. If you have evidence, then you have evidence, focusing on the lack of evidence is pointless. There's a lack of evidence for ANY explanation.

I think you should remove the agnostic from how you define yourself as it appears as an attempt to remove yourself from a side, but by identifying as atheist you use the implication of the word to show disbelief in a god/creator etc.

I find the phrase "lack of belief" to be a load of bullshit. Who claims to lack belief in something, it makes no sense.
I don't care how you define yourself, but as you express your point of view you fall under the category of an agnostic atheist.
lacks belief in a god = atheist.
lacks knowledge of any god = agnostic.

And no, I'm not an agnostic atheist.

And years ago I looked at the words similarly to how you are looking at them now. That is, until I learned what they meant.

But whatever man/woman. Like I said, I don't care what you call yourself. You are obviously offended by the atheist label...so whoop de doo, call yourself agnostic.

I find it interesting that most atheists have no idea what an agnostic actually is and it must fit in your narrow definition.
29-12-2013, 02:23 PM
(29-12-2013 01:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 11:34 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You can't be that surprised, I'm sure Shaniqua does this with all non-atheists who dare to question it.

(29-12-2013 01:19 AM)kim Wrote:  I do not understand what that means, either.
Shaniqua?

Shekinah. He meant Shekinah. Drinking Beverage

Are your one liners ever correct?
29-12-2013, 02:27 PM
(29-12-2013 02:07 PM)kim Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 01:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Shekinah. He meant Shekinah. Drinking Beverage

Well, that's interesting... Consider kind of settling place for spirit or some such - possibly even within. Cool. Thumbsup

Still, I think our intolerant friend has provided us with a fair assessment of his identity issues. Maybe he's just antsy about coming into a new community and all. No big whoop. Drinking Beverage except for the racist stereotyping shit

So, Brownshirt... in case you forgot to make an introduction thread... Dodgy in the introduction forum...

Welcome to the forum. Smile

Ok apologies for the racial stereotyping.

I'm not really looking to introduce myself. I've never understood that in forums. You post, they reply and find out about people that way. If you have questions just ask.

You can tone down the condescension I'm only intolerant of those who try to define my position., which is not strange at all.

I find it interesting that many people take offence to my questions.
29-12-2013, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2013 02:51 PM by Hobbitgirl.)
Why not.

1. Why do you have an active lack of belief?

If by active you mean vocal about it, it's because I live in a country where there is a push to force laws and values based on religions and also to attempt to force people to believe a certain, irrational way, and I see the need to speak up against it...to protect my values and freedoms as a non-believer.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

There is no "purpose" to atheism other than as a descriptive word to explain how one sees things.

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

I honestly don't think there will ever be evidence for gods. However I wouldn't ignore it if evidence, real solid evidence, was given. (Although if there was evidence and it supported any of the gods held by religions today , I would refuse to worship anyway, due to the immoral nature of the described gods)

I'm sure thats been repeated 100 times. But here you go.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
29-12-2013, 02:56 PM
(29-12-2013 02:23 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  

Are your one liners ever correct?

No.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus