3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
23-01-2014, 12:00 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(22-01-2014 11:49 PM)Chippy Wrote:  L&I, do you mean to imply by your silence on this that Tourettes' behaviour is normal? Can you see any merit in the apparently obsessive act of posting captioned images and having nothing really to say about anything?

There's really nothing left to say to your boyfriend, as he ignores what anyone else actually says and creates strawman positions for them anyway, so he can continue to bleat his idiotic fail-troll rant ad nauseum.

[Image: 45137339.jpg]

[Image: 37b.png]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2014, 12:00 AM
(22-01-2014 11:33 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 11:10 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  What part of atheism is defensible? The lack of belief due to a lack of evidence, assumes evidence is available or you wouldn't be basing your conclusion on that.

Assessing this as a crime scene is the incorrect path to take due to the obvious lack of evidence for any solution. I don't care if someone doesn't believe, I want to know how you reached this conclusion. If you solely reached it as you thought the bible was bollocks that's incomplete and lazy from my perspective.

Still waiting for someone to outline why atheists differentiate between belief and knowledge, we know why theists do, but why do you?

Lack of belief based on lack of evidence assumes that evidence is not currently available and most likely never will be.

If you want to know how I reached my conclusion there is a thread here where I tell exactly how I reached it. Whether or find my path to this conclusion to be incomplete or lazy is irrelevant. You see, I have more inportant things in my life to worry about. I am a single parent of three young children and I am studying to take the SAT's so I can finally go to college. I am in the process of taking control of my own life. Maybe one day I will have a more complete process to make you happy, maybe not. It isn't laziness it's a lack of interest. It doesn't matter how you feel about it, just like my opinion on your beliefs doesn't matter.

Belief and knowledge are obviously not the same, in my opinion. You know something then you certainly believe it, but if you believe something that doesn't mean you know it.

Funny thing is, I try to ignore Taq's memes and have a rational dicussion and no one even responds to it. I think the two of you secretly like his posts.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
23-01-2014, 12:04 AM
(22-01-2014 11:58 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Blah blah blah...

That dark ring around your mouth on your avatar is from sucking on BrownShitFace's asshole. Laughat

23-01-2014, 12:05 AM
(22-01-2014 11:33 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 11:10 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  What part of atheism is defensible? The lack of belief due to a lack of evidence, assumes evidence is available or you wouldn't be basing your conclusion on that.

Assessing this as a crime scene is the incorrect path to take due to the obvious lack of evidence for any solution. I don't care if someone doesn't believe, I want to know how you reached this conclusion. If you solely reached it as you thought the bible was bollocks that's incomplete and lazy from my perspective.

Still waiting for someone to outline why atheists differentiate between belief and knowledge, we know why theists do, but why do you?

Lack of belief based on lack of evidence assumes that evidence is not currently available and most likely never will be.

If you want to know how I reached my conclusion there is a thread here where I tell exactly how I reached it. Whether or find my path to this conclusion to be incomplete or lazy is irrelevant. You see, I have more inportant things in my life to worry about. I am a single parent of three young children and I am studying to take the SAT's so I can finally go to college. I am in the process of taking control of my own life. Maybe one day I will have a more complete process to make you happy, maybe not. It isn't laziness it's a lack of interest. It doesn't matter how you feel about it, just like my opinion on your beliefs doesn't matter.

Belief and knowledge are obviously not the same, in my opinion. You know something then you certainly believe it, but if you believe something that doesn't mean you know it.

If you believe it will never be, why distinguish between belief and know to the point of being an agnostic atheist. Hell if you hate religion, be an anti-theist. I think many atheists have rendered their position so grey that labels (including my agnosticism) are superfluous. To the point of if anyone said they were Gnostic theist/theist then people would think they were nuts anyway. Also the original meaning of Gnostic, was not "to know". These soundbite definitions are fucking useless, and show how lazy people are now. Unless it fits on my android's screen I ain't reading it.

This discussion means absolutely nothing to me, I have responsibilities as well. This is just for entertainment purposes. Sadly not for educational purposes.

Knowledge's definition is justified true belief. Could you know god exists, but still be an atheist?
23-01-2014, 12:05 AM
(23-01-2014 12:00 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Funny thing is, I try to ignore Taq's memes and have a rational dicussion and no one even responds to it. I think the two of you secretly like his posts.

Having some dickhead post huge volumes of puerile images is not conducive to a rational discussion. I won't contribute to such a thread because it will look like I endorse Tourettes behaviour.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2014, 12:08 AM
(23-01-2014 12:05 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Blah blah blah....I won't contribute to such a thread because it will look like I endorse Tourettes behaviour.

And yet here you are. Hobo

Fucking idiot.

23-01-2014, 12:12 AM
It is the melee thread...so I'm thinking this isn't the place for rational anything.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
23-01-2014, 12:15 AM
(22-01-2014 11:58 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 11:49 PM)Chippy Wrote:  L&I, do you mean to imply by your silence on this that Tourettes' behaviour is normal? Can you see any merit in the apparently obsessive act of posting captioned images and having nothing really to say about anything?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you wanted my opinion. Is it normal? Well, it's normal for Taq.
He can be quite excessive at times. I don't really care for the countless memes, but he doesn't really care if I care for them either so there's that. Outside the memes Taq is a nice guy. He has explained his position countless times in this thread and BS has refused to accept it. Instead of agreeing to disagree they go on in this circle of insults. I like Taq (especially in the sexy banter thread).

So Tourette's position is expletives and memes? No, Tourettes has not explained anything, primarily as it cannot.

I find it funny, it reminds me of this guy.

[Image: greatest-freak-out-ever-o.gif]

Sexy? Not so much.
23-01-2014, 12:18 AM
(23-01-2014 12:00 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  [Image: 37b.png]

Is that Chas in his formative years?
23-01-2014, 12:19 AM
(22-01-2014 11:10 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  What part of atheism is defensible?

The very definition of the word. What this whole thing is about is language. What you perceive the word to mean is not, by every definition of the word, what it means.

This is from Merriam-Webster:

Definition of ATHEISM

archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

We can obviously discard 1. This is not what we are arguing about.

Definition 2a would be the the atheist position, and is where the term agnostic atheist is appropriate. Definition 2b is what you are struggling with. If that definition were the only one applicable, you would be correct in your argument.

dis·be·lief noun \ˌdis-bə-ˈlēf\
: a feeling that you do not or cannot believe or accept that something is true or real

We can apply the definition of disbelief to the word theism as follows from wiki:

"The term atheism originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshipped by the larger society. With the spread of freethought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope."

So as the language applies today, atheism simply means a lack of belief in a god or deity.

You keep hammering on about context and intent, but fail to recognize the intent of the word in context of the language of today.

You can have your problems with the term, that is your view. You are welcome to it. Atheists are also entitled to their view of the word, as it is definitionally correct.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post