3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
23-01-2014, 12:41 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(21-01-2014 12:40 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Personally I am atheistic towards defined gods but would hardly define myself on this basis.

a·the·is·tic (th-stk) also a·the·is·ti·cal (-t-kl)
adj.
1. Relating to or characteristic of atheism or atheists.
2. Inclined to atheism.

I don't expect you to define yourself on the meaning of one term, but in this quote you defined your position as per the existence of defined gods. Anything beyond a defined god would be beyond our knowledge, ergo agnostic atheism.

Language: it helps to define our positions, even if we may not like it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
23-01-2014, 12:44 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2014 12:48 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(23-01-2014 12:41 AM)Chippy Wrote:  L&I, If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas. If you want to be affiliated with someone as obviously braindead as Tourettes and you believe it has a "position" (on anything) then I anticipate that in the future you will find fewer people with which to have rational discussions.

Says the punk ass who trolls newcomers unprovoked and then cries like a scalded puppy when I beat up an obvious troll who's dug in hard here. You are quite the fucking hypocrite. And a chickenshit whiny pussy to boot.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
23-01-2014, 12:53 AM
(23-01-2014 12:41 AM)Chippy Wrote:  L&I, If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas. If you want to be affiliated with someone as obviously braindead as Tourettes and you believe it has a "position" (on anything) then I anticipate that in the future you will find fewer people with which to have rational discussions.

That's just silliness. All of the people that I enjoy having rational conversations with will continue to talk to me. Most people here are very nice.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
23-01-2014, 12:58 AM
3 questions for atheists
Now I'm curious what beliefs the OP actually holds. The more I read his posts, the more he sounds like a theist.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
23-01-2014, 01:03 AM
(23-01-2014 12:58 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Now I'm curious what beliefs the OP actually holds. The more I read his posts, the more he sounds like a theist.

Yes, I called that quite some time ago.

23-01-2014, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2014 01:41 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(23-01-2014 12:30 AM)Chippy Wrote:  No there is nothing there except pictures and expletives.

Just to prove you a chickenshit fucking liar, start reading at post 63 and make sure you hit 70 and 86 along the way. You are just as willfully fucking ignorant as BrownShitStainsAllOverChippysMouth is.

But I know that you won't read this anyway since you've gone back into hiding. You have a big fucking mouth with people who care about being polite, but you run like the rabbit you are when the shit gets real. No surprise. Pussy.

23-01-2014, 01:54 AM
(23-01-2014 12:41 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 12:40 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Personally I am atheistic towards defined gods but would hardly define myself on this basis.

a·the·is·tic (th-stk) also a·the·is·ti·cal (-t-kl)
adj.
2. Inclined to atheism.

I don't expect you to define yourself on the meaning of one term, but in this quote you defined your position as per the existence of defined gods. Anything beyond a defined god would be beyond our knowledge, ergo agnostic atheism.

No that's incorrect. I don't believe in defined gods, I'm agnostic towards an undefined god. So rather than take the atheist position towards only defined gods, I include all gods in a single set, hence solely agnostic.

Are you an atheist towards undefined gods as well? Is this where that 'active' lack of belief kicks in? Or are you atheistic towards defined gods and agnostic towards defined gods. By this logic, theist could be classified as theist atheists, as Christians would believe in Jesus but not Allah. etc. Why don't they include the atheist tag to add a little more grey to their label? I would guess due to blatant pointlessness of it.

Hell if you want to be an atheist, be one, but at least provide a better rationale than depending on a lack of belief in someone else's view.

If I recall correctly you're an nihilist, wouldn't it make more sense to identify as an anti-theist nihilist? I don't understand this atheist bandwagon, when it's dependent on such a tenuous link as a lack of belief.
23-01-2014, 01:57 AM
(23-01-2014 12:58 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Now I'm curious what beliefs the OP actually holds. The more I read his posts, the more he sounds like a theist.

Why do you think that? I expect it from Tourettes as in his limited functioning cranium the worst insult you can chuck at someone is calling them a theist (aka the typical devout atheist parry and thrust)
23-01-2014, 02:27 AM
(23-01-2014 01:34 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 12:30 AM)Chippy Wrote:  No there is nothing there except pictures and expletives.

Just to prove you a chickenshit fucking liar, start reading at post 63 and make sure you hit 70 and 86 along the way. You are just as willfully fucking ignorant as BrownShitStainsAllOverChippysMouth is.

But I know that you won't read this anyway since you've gone back into hiding. You have a big fucking mouth with people who care about being polite, but you run like the rabbit you are when the shit gets real. No surprise. Pussy.

Is that your version of addressing a question? Bless. Hobo

Do you have to be coherent at work, or in life, or does just consist of yelling "hungry" at your mum?
23-01-2014, 02:55 AM
(23-01-2014 01:54 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 12:41 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  a·the·is·tic (th-stk) also a·the·is·ti·cal (-t-kl)
adj.
2. Inclined to atheism.

No that's incorrect. I don't believe in defined gods, I'm agnostic towards an undefined god. So rather than take the atheist position towards only defined gods, I include all gods in a single set, hence solely agnostic.

Are you an atheist towards undefined gods as well? Is this where that 'active' lack of belief kicks in? Or are you atheistic towards defined gods and agnostic towards defined gods. By this logic, theist could be classified as theist atheists, as Christians would believe in Jesus but not Allah. etc. Why don't they include the atheist tag to add a little more grey to their label? I would guess due to blatant pointlessness of it.

Hell if you want to be an atheist, be one, but at least provide a better rationale than depending on a lack of belief in someone else's view.

If I recall correctly you're an nihilist, wouldn't it make more sense to identify as an anti-theist nihilist? I don't understand this atheist bandwagon, when it's dependent on such a tenuous link as a lack of belief.

Atheism - lacking positive belief in gods.

If a god is undefined, then it lacks evidence, and thus a good rational thinker and skeptic would not posit positive belief in such a thing (I would in fact argue it's not possible to articulate positive belief in something undefined). Anything posited without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. Lacking positive evidence for undefined gods, one should logically lack belief in their existence; and hence be atheistic in regards to them.

If the god concept is defined it can then be assessed and judge and evaluated by evidence, either for or against it's existence. If the evidence turns out to be lacking or in complete contradiction to specific god concepts and claims, then it's only logical to lack belief that such gods exist as described until better evidence is presented. If you're being a good skeptic, you should doubt claims that lack sufficient evidence; and as this relates to a god concept, the correct term is atheism.

Everyone is an atheist to some extent or another. A Christian is an atheist in regards to all other god concepts except for their particular interpretation of Yahweh or Jesus. All of us are atheistic to god concepts that have yet to be defined or envisioned (you cannot believe in Mormonism before Smith invented it), because to posit positive belief in something, you need to quantify to some degree what you have belief in. Any amount of qualification is by it's very nature a definition, and thus even the most ineffable and vague god concepts have at least some definition; and are therefore not entirely undefined.

Also, your use of agnosticism is misleading. Agnosticism is a stance on knowledge, whether something is knowable or known (gnostic) in comparison to being unknowable or unknown (agnostic); it is compatible with either theism or atheism. If you lack positive belief in gods (defined or not), but are open to the possibility that latter evidence might change your opinion; then you are an agnostic atheist. Ironically enough, just like most of the people on this forum.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post