3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
26-01-2014, 03:04 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
To fuck up the normal way of thinking about things, in order to introduce a new way of thinking about things. Philosophy....

Yes, to cause confusion to create greater clarity if possible.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2014, 03:06 AM
Those terms are confusing. That my position took a paragraph to explain means that those words--agnostic and atheist--are not really doing the work they should be doing.

Why not just say, "I am a metaphysical naturalist"? I think that better captures my position.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
26-01-2014, 03:12 AM
(26-01-2014 03:04 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  To fuck up the normal way of thinking about things, in order to introduce a new way of thinking about things. Philosophy....

Yes, to cause confusion to create greater clarity if possible.

Yes, sort of. I think part of the problem is that it is a negative statement of beliefs and that opens up the ambiguities. If you actually state what you believe does exist (e.g. I am a metaphysical naturalist) then some of that confusion lessens.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2014, 03:13 AM
(26-01-2014 03:06 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Why not just say, "I am a metaphysical naturalist"? I think that better captures my position.

Oh Chippy. You and your semantics. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
26-01-2014, 04:05 AM
Continuing the meme theme of this thread...

Can't resist:

(26-01-2014 01:51 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  ...
I don't believe that an agnostic would allocate a 1% to a deity. If there is a 'god' equation to calculate the probability, or improbability, I would love to know the formula and variables.

[Image: bayes-theorem.jpg]

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
26-01-2014, 02:13 PM
(26-01-2014 03:06 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Those terms are confusing. That my position took a paragraph to explain means that those words--agnostic and atheist--are not really doing the work they should be doing.

Why not just say, "I am a metaphysical naturalist"? I think that better captures my position.

I have always viewed as metaphysical naturalism as strong atheism, as it asserts that nature is all there is?
26-01-2014, 02:18 PM
(26-01-2014 04:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Continuing the meme theme of this thread...

Can't resist:

I don't believe that an agnostic would allocate a 1% to a deity. If there is a 'god' equation to calculate the probability, or improbability, I would love to know the formula and variables.

And A and B are "a deity exists" and "a deity does not exist? Thanks for that.

Just to clarify I also don't believe an agnostic would assert 1% to a deity not existing either.
26-01-2014, 03:00 PM
(26-01-2014 04:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Continuing the meme theme of this thread...

Can't resist:

The meme thing continued....

[Image: h8A90777B]
[+] 2 users Like Brownshirt's post
26-01-2014, 03:31 PM
(26-01-2014 02:18 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  ...

And A and B are "a deity exists" and "a deity does not exist? Thanks for that.

Just to clarify I also don't believe an agnostic would assert 1% to a deity not existing either.

A = Lack of Evidence
B = Deity

26-01-2014, 04:21 PM
What about the lack of evidence for a 'natural' reason for existence? Unless you're willing to posit we have sufficient knowledge to accurately propose the probability.