3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
30-01-2014, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2014 09:33 PM by Crulax.)
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(30-01-2014 09:19 PM)Crystal Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?
I don't believe because there is no proof so in all probability the god of all the theisms is highly unlikely, and may I add that when making outrageous claims you need extraordinary evidence, which no theist has ever provided outside of personal experience or devine revalation, neither of which are proof.

2. There is no point, I just don't see that choosing to follow any theistic religion is wise, what if I back the wrong horse, it's a pretty big field and the odds are horrendous! I just do t see any of the religions as "realistic" thus I choose to live by what I know, not what I believe.

3. There is no way to prove a negative, you just look at the facts and deduce from that the likelyhood of any of it being real (slim to nil). Using gods lack of punishment directly to stop evil and or lack of reward for good is often put down to people who don't have enough faith and that a "good believer" will (see Job) remain faithful is a great argument for a dictator and not the proposed almighty that so many cling to. It just makes no sense. I don't think there is any proof for or against god, nor ever will there be, it's a moot point with no valid argument, he's just not there.

Hi, welcome to the thread! Yes that is what this thread was originally about and those are very fine points that you made. This thread has however turned into two five year old children in the backseat of a car arguing about the neutrality of the middle seat.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Crulax's post
30-01-2014, 09:28 PM
(30-01-2014 09:22 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 09:18 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Behold, I have a ball.

[Image: FootballChimp.jpg]

Yes, you do. Makes a lot of sense, though. Thumbsup

I thought it would appeal to you, gets a little deep in places, but eventually it becomes simpler and re-iterates your "no evidence" position.
30-01-2014, 09:38 PM
(30-01-2014 09:25 PM)Crulax Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 09:19 PM)Crystal Wrote:  I don't believe because there is no proof so in all probability the god of all the theisms is highly unlikely, and may I add that when making outrageous claims you need extraordinary evidence, which no theist has ever provided outside of personal experience or devine revalation, neither of which are proof.

2. There is no point, I just don't see that choosing to follow any theistic religion is wise, what if I back the wrong horse, it's a pretty big field and the odds are horrendous! I just do t see any of the religions as "realistic" thus I choose to live by what I know, not what I believe.

3. There is no way to prove a negative, you just look at the facts and deduce from that the likelyhood of any of it being real (slim to nil). Using gods lack of punishment directly to stop evil and or lack of reward for good is often put down to people who don't have enough faith and that a "good believer" will (see Job) remain faithful is a great argument for a dictator and not the proposed almighty that so many cling to. It just makes no sense. I don't think there is any proof for or against god, nor ever will there be, it's a moot point with no valid argument, he's just not there.

Hi, welcome to the thread! Yes that is what this thread was originally about and those are very fine points that you made. This thread has however turned into two five year old children in the backseat of a car arguing about the neutrality of the middle seat.

Not really, it's about Tourette's being incapable of rationalising its point beyond "because evidence works".

It lacks a point, but unfortunately says it loudly.
30-01-2014, 09:42 PM
(30-01-2014 09:28 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 09:22 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Yes, you do. Makes a lot of sense, though. Thumbsup

I thought it would appeal to you, gets a little deep in places, but eventually it becomes simpler and re-iterates your "no evidence" position.

[Image: Straw-man3.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
30-01-2014, 09:44 PM
(30-01-2014 09:24 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Don't even bother, Crystal. The OP is a disingenuous troll. Read through this thread and you will see.
Thanks Smile I'll stay out of it then, can't argue with ignorance anyway
Ps if I stuff the "quote" tagging up I'm sorry, I'm new at this
30-01-2014, 09:45 PM
(30-01-2014 09:44 PM)Crystal Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 09:24 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Don't even bother, Crystal. The OP is a disingenuous troll. Read through this thread and you will see.
Thanks Smile I'll stay out of it then, can't argue with ignorance anyway
Ps if I stuff the "quote" tagging up I'm sorry, I'm new at this

It's all good, the quoting system is intrinsically a bit jacked up anyway. Welcome to the forum. Thumbsup

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
30-01-2014, 09:48 PM
(30-01-2014 01:03 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Because evidence works, Bitchez.

You still haven't found out what an argument or strawman is yet. Keep trying, as you might get....wait, who I am kidding? We both know you won't. Keep trying though, otherwise your efforts might appear as futile as they are.
30-01-2014, 09:54 PM
[quote='Crystal' pid='481079' dateline='1391139848']
[quote='Taqiyya Mockingbird' pid='481047' dateline='1391138687']

What's the deal with the plus green number (or red) in front of the names? Is it a like rating?
Oh yay! I f#%ked up the quote Tongue
30-01-2014, 09:56 PM
(30-01-2014 09:54 PM)Crystal Wrote:  [quote='Crystal' pid='481079' dateline='1391139848']

What's the deal with the plus green number (or red) in front of the names? Is it a like rating?

Yes, it's a rep system!

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
30-01-2014, 09:59 PM
(30-01-2014 09:54 PM)Crystal Wrote:  [quote='Crystal' pid='481079' dateline='1391139848']

It's like golf, the lower the better.

It's quite a strange system really, usually they're round the other way.
[+] 1 user Likes Brownshirt's post