3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
11-10-2014, 09:54 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

1. Lack of belief implies we are missing something. That belief was something that we do not yet have. We do not "lack" anything, we DIS believe. Not lack there of.

Evidence is your burden, not ours. Hitchens Razor yo.

2. There is no purpose. Zero, nadda, none, ziltch..What is it with you people and purpose? Not everything needs a purpose.

3. There is none, you cannot disprove, nor can you prove a negative. It is your duty to provide the extraordinary proof for your extraordinary claim. Nothing more to it than that!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2014, 12:01 PM
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

The questions seem a little loaded, but I think I can answer.

1) I don't. I hold the passive position that no god has shown any sign of being real, so I concentrate mainly on other things. No god has been proved to me, so I stay in my garden and tend to the onions. If I was kidnapped by terrorists who demanded that I believe in at least one god or they'll kill me I'd probably, and rather sincerely, tell them that the earth is my 'god'.

2) It defines my lack of a belief in god, so the purpose for me is simply to help locate like-minded people.

3) I come from the position that an empty space is an empty space, and the only way to know if anything is occupying that space is to find evidence of it. Without any evidence then nothing is occupying that space, and I won't assume that anything is unless evidence shows up. If the evidence never shows up then let it be.

Sorry if the thread direction has absolutely nothing to do with the OP anymore, but I'm not going to read through 194 pages, just thought it would be fun to answer OP :L

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
14-10-2014, 12:03 PM
FYI:

Since you've been away a long time, guess I'll let ya know...

Anything located in the Viper's Pit probably isn't worth rehashing or replying to.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-10-2014, 12:05 PM
(14-10-2014 12:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  FYI:

Anything located in the Viper's Pit probably isn't worth rehashing or replying to.

It seemed like it might be fun though :U

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
14-10-2014, 02:01 PM
(14-10-2014 12:05 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 12:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  FYI:

It seemed like it might be fun though :U

IIRC this Brownshirt guy was the most boring of the boringest trolls in trollhalla.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-10-2014, 02:38 PM
(14-10-2014 02:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 12:05 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  It seemed like it might be fun though :U

IIRC this Brownshirt guy was the most boring of the boringest trolls in trollhalla.

Sad

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.