3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
28-12-2013, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2013 03:52 AM by BlackMason.)
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

The gum ball analogy is a very good way to explain atheism. I'll demonstrate by using a conversation.

Atheist: I have a jar of gum balls in my room. Agree with me that the number of balls inside are either even or odd.

Theist: This is true.

Atheist: If I said to you that the number of gum balls was even would you believe me?

Theist: No I wouldn't.

Atheist: Wonderful! By disagreeing with me on the claim that the balls are even, are you in fact making a claim that they are negative?

Theist: No certainly not. I'm merely rejecting your claim for even.

Atheist: THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT ATHEISM IS!!! It is the rejection of theistic claims. Just like you were not making a claim by rejecting mine, atheism is also not making a claim.

(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  2. What is the purpose of atheism?

Pretty much to free the mind from organised manipulation.

(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

Because we as humans are intelligent life forms. Evidence is the most rational basis to conclude the existence of something. Anything other than evidence is subhuman. Faith is subhuman.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like BlackMason's post
28-12-2013, 03:55 AM
(28-12-2013 03:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yes I agree, but you'll notice I said "disprove a negative" not "something".
As far as I'm concerned, negatives fall under the umbrella term "something".

In any case, why do you think that this distinction is of any importance? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
28-12-2013, 04:08 AM
Who wants to know?

I don't see anything in the intro threads.

Are you my mother? the NSA?

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
28-12-2013, 05:37 AM
I call TTT sock puppet.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
28-12-2013, 05:39 AM
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

You can solve this all in your own head. Ask yourself:

1. Why do you have an active belief in the nonexistence of Pele the Volcano Goddess?

2. What is the purpose of disbelieving in Pele?

3. Why believe evidence is available to confirm or negate Pele?

See. Wasn't that easy. And I didn't even have to get out the bubbling lava.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
28-12-2013, 05:53 AM
I am not sure what you are asking.. I can see in this thread that definitions are important to you. So we are on the same page, could you answer this-

1. Why do you have an active belief in a particular god? This position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates all other forms of gods (or no gods) but not have to prove anything.

2. What is the purpose of believeing in your god?

3. Why do you believe evidence do you have available to confirm any (but preferably your) god?

By answering this, I hope to understand what it is that you are asking.
28-12-2013, 05:54 AM
(28-12-2013 03:17 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yes but why? People don't join groups to show what they lack belief in, or don't do.

I've made the same point. It would have been more sensible that this were a skeptic forum because abandonding one of the major religions only to adopt some New Age nonsense is a bad outcome. Atheism/agnosticism will come from skepticism but skeptcism will not necessarily come from atheism/agnosticism. Skepticism is also something that can form part of a personal and group identity because it is positive. Skepticism--unlike atheism/agnosticism--promotes a certain attitude (of doubt and rational justification)--that can lay the groundwork for a worldview. The epistemic route to atheism is just as important as the atheism itself. If you reject religion for the right reasons you will not dive into some other superstition to replace it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chippy's post
28-12-2013, 06:01 AM

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

1-Atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive. Would you mind reformulating? Or are you only interested in shifting the burden of proof? Like nobody would notice.

2-Are you looking for a hidden agenda or something? I'll say world domination, just to instill fear into you and because it sounds every bit as silly as the question.
Enforcing the respect by religions for the separation of church and state just doesn't sound anywhere as funny.

3-Everything else that exists leaves proofs of its existence
28-12-2013, 06:05 AM
You recently joined the forum, have only 5 posts (which are all in this thread,) and you're claiming to be an agnostic despite the fact that your "questions" are incredibly accusatory and presumptuous.

I'm calling bullshit.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 4 users Like Cephalotus's post
28-12-2013, 06:17 AM
We are all born atheist. If there is no one to indoctrinate us or spread stories of religion, we remain atheist. It is our natural state.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post