3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
30-12-2013, 01:42 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(30-12-2013 01:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:27 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  If you haven't gathered yet, the lack of belief is not a valid reason to gather.

Anything at all is a valid reason to gather. People are social animals.

First you would have to identify as something due to the lack of belief in someone else's position. If you believe that's logical that's your call.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2013, 01:44 PM
(30-12-2013 01:33 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  BS, mind if I call you that?

Well, BS, your posts lack a few things - lemme be the one to point them out to you:

1. Consistency
2. Actual meaningfulness
3. Cowbell

If anything, at least put more cowbell in. You can never get enough cowbell.

Yeah sure. Try saying why, if you can't use a joke from an old skit to make your point, that'll work.Thumbsup
30-12-2013, 01:47 PM
(30-12-2013 01:40 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  The difference is taking an active position against those who believe there is an even number. Most wouldn't care. Or let me guess, if religion was gone everything would be perfect?
I'm not talking about taking an active position against those who think it is an even number. I'm just talking about not believing that there is an even number of gumballs.

So to clarify, do you understand the difference between "believing there is not" and "not believing there is"?

And you may be confusing atheist for antitheist.

I know of several atheists that have no problem with religion. I myself used to be an admirer of religion, and thought it was wonderful. That position changed as I learned more about religion though.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
30-12-2013, 01:48 PM
(30-12-2013 01:27 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  If you haven't gathered yet, the lack of belief is not a valid reason to gather. Perhaps you want to criticise religion and congregate for that reason.

I have now addressed your points, if you don't think so I can't help you.

Then don't fucking "gather".
It's not up to you to determine when, why, and how others wish to gather, or in what way they find gathering valuable, your Holiness. May we now kiss your pontifical ass ring ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-12-2013, 01:51 PM
(30-12-2013 01:44 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:33 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  BS, mind if I call you that?

Well, BS, your posts lack a few things - lemme be the one to point them out to you:

1. Consistency
2. Actual meaningfulness
3. Cowbell

If anything, at least put more cowbell in. You can never get enough cowbell.

Yeah sure. Try saying why, if you can't use a joke from an old skit to make your point, that'll work.Thumbsup

What message are you trying to convey in your reply to me? Wink

No, seriously, it doesn't make sense to me. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
30-12-2013, 01:52 PM
(30-12-2013 01:47 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:40 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  The difference is taking an active position against those who believe there is an even number. Most wouldn't care. Or let me guess, if religion was gone everything would be perfect?
I'm not talking about taking an active position against those who think it is an even number. I'm just talking about not believing that there is an even number of gumballs.

So to clarify, do you understand the difference between "believing there is not" and "not believing there is"?

And you may be confusing atheist for antitheist.

I know of several atheists that have no problem with religion. I myself used to be an admirer of religion, and thought it was wonderful. That position changed as I learned more about religion though.

Yes I understand the difference, but don't believe that is the atheist position. it's just hiding behind a false definition.

I have never met any atheists who have no issue with religion.

Your past is your past, I used to be an atheist and am now agnostic.
30-12-2013, 01:53 PM
(30-12-2013 01:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:27 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  If you haven't gathered yet, the lack of belief is not a valid reason to gather. Perhaps you want to criticise religion and congregate for that reason.

I have now addressed your points, if you don't think so I can't help you.

Then don't fucking "gather".
It's not up to you to determine when, why, and how others wish to gather, or in what way they find gathering valuable, your Holiness. May we now kiss your pontifical ass ring ?

Gather away, just don't pretend it has any rational basis for doing so.
30-12-2013, 01:55 PM
(30-12-2013 01:51 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:44 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yeah sure. Try saying why, if you can't use a joke from an old skit to make your point, that'll work.Thumbsup

What message are you trying to convey in your reply to me? Wink

No, seriously, it doesn't make sense to me. Big Grin

You struggle a bit dontcha? Try saying why it lacks consistency, meaning. No you don't have to bother with the cowbell. I'll assume that was a joke given it was an old joke, perhaps you were serious, who knows?
30-12-2013, 01:59 PM
(30-12-2013 01:36 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:16 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I most certainly do.

[Image: strawman-full.jpg]

An example would be to claim that my "rationale for claiming religion is incorrect is because they tell you what to do".

Show where I have said that or admit your strawman fallacy.

I'm not convinced googling something means you understand what it means,

Unsuccessful dodge is unsuccessful. Means that your Red Herring Fallacy didn't work. I used the picture to illustrate the well-known definition of a fallacious strawman argument, and I applied it to your statement, showing how it was indeed a strawman.

So, again: Show where I said that my "rationale" was as you claimed it to be, or admit your disingenuous and intellectually dishonest attempt to employ a strawman fallacy.

Quote:you kids in the information age huh. A little 'knowledge' is a dangerous thing.

Not that it would matter in the least, but I am sure that I am quite a bit older than your punk ass.

Quote:You said: " If it were simply a matter of non-belief in one or another person's view, it would be silly as fuck to form a group on that basis. When that "someone" -- which is to say, that huge group of someones -- tries to force their beliefs on us and our fucking children, that's another story".

Perhaps you don't like the slant I've put on it,

Your "slant" -- and look: You DO admit to strawmanning my statement -- is a load of bullshit designed to misrepresent what I said and my motivations.

Quote: if so you should try focusing on the impact religion has had and not try presenting any naturalist focus.

I am not in need of the advice of a disingenuous snake-oil bullshit artist, fyvm.

Quote:I like it when people cannot differentiate between religion, man's impact on it and philosophy.

I like it when ignorant and disingenuous fucktards assume that we have to have one and only one reason to be here. What do you tell yourself is the "reason" that YOU are here for, by the way?

For us, it is obvious.

[Image: 1986d1332082574-pocketesn-quickly-get-in...-troll.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
30-12-2013, 02:02 PM
(30-12-2013 01:40 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:21 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Brownshirt, if you are still here.

Have you addressed the difference between "believe there is not" versus "not believe there is"?

I think somebody brought up Dillahunty's gumball example. (this isn't exactly it, but a spin off)
A gumball machine is full of gumballs.
Let's say a position called "Evengumist" exists that states, "There is an even number of gumballs in this machine."
Do you agree with the evengumist? (do you think the number of gumballs is even?)
Do you disagree with the unfounded assertion that the number of gumballs is even?
Do you think the number of gumballs is odd?

There is a difference between "not believing the number of gumballs is even."
And, "believing the number of gumballs is, in fact, not even."

The difference is taking an active position against those who believe there is an even number. Most wouldn't care. Or let me guess, if religion was gone everything would be perfect?

When those who believe there are an even number start harassing, vilifying, ostracizing, executing, burning to death, taking the children away from the people who don't believe it, that is quite a good reason to take an active position against them.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop